Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Ruined Roger Rabbit?

Started by Jumble Cashback, October 27, 2010, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

This was the early 1998 test for Roger Rabbit in 3D, it doesn't look too bad since they used normal hand-drawn animation as the base for the 3d models.

Roger Rabbit 2 screen test

Though from what I've read they are going to use traditional hand-drawn animation for the next film, no idea if Richard Williams will be involved though.

On the subject of Drop Dead Fred, was it a good film to begin with? I am fond because it came out when I was 9 or 10, and Rik Mayall made a good snotty little oik to encourage that punk element of pushing back the boundaries and upsetting the grown ups, and that aspect of the psychological - is it or isn't it her head aspect was never really explored at that age - of course he's real!

The nostalgia critics crucifies it here though Nostalgia Critic - Drop Dead Fred (Part 1)

Though a lot of the films he crucifies are films I 'remember' fondly, but can't anaylse them properly since I see them through my kids eyes.. for instance his review of Garbage Pail Kids the movie - which he says is the worst film ever made - I remember me and my best friend liked this film when we were kids simply because we liked the stickers and it was full of peeing and gross out humour, but yeah I can see it is utter cheap cash-in crap now, but it's a kids film, they like that kind of shit!

God make that awful obnoxious prick stop talking about films

madhair60

Quote from: Buchstansangur on October 29, 2010, 10:20:30 AM
God make that awful obnoxious prick stop talking about films

[joke about mark kermode]

Tiny Poster

I watched a modern Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles thing on his recommendation. What a waste of a very early morning/late night that was.

Steven

Quote from: Tiny Poster on October 29, 2010, 03:15:57 PM
I watched a modern Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles thing on his recommendation. What a waste of a very early morning/late night that was.

And how is the modern TMNT nostalgia? This is sort of the problem I had with stuff like the Garbage Pail Kids movie review, he never even saw it as a child but watched it as an adult and points out how cheap and crappy it is. That's sort of the point of it being nostalgic, how our memory paints something a bit differently. Why is he using the word nostalgia when he's just reviewing things he's never seen from the 80s and calling them shit in the cold hard analytical abyss of adulthood? And all the Angry Video Game Nerd shouting doesn't help matters.

He does have a good chat with the creators of Animaniacs/Freakazoid which is worth watching though, plus a few more thoughtful reviews among the AVGN type ravings.

I don't where they might go with a Roger Rabbit 2, I see it could be a good thing if they move away from the Eddie Valiant storyline. Perhaps a prequel to explain how Roger got to be a star/married in the first place. Bob Hoskins probably looks exactly the same now but it would feel bad to have a knackered Valiant acting as the straight-man to Roger's zany antics while they chase down Judge Doom (Slight Return) or whatever.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Steven on October 29, 2010, 04:11:00 PM
And how is the modern TMNT nostalgia?

It was a crossover special, where the 'new' Turtles met their 1980s cartoon counterparts and original Miller-inspired black & white incarnations.

Tiny Poster

Icehaven

Quote from: Steven on October 29, 2010, 12:15:36 AM
On the subject of Drop Dead Fred, was it a good film to begin with?

I think so! Actually I think it's one of those films that it's fairly easy to rubbish, it's hardly a brilliant piece of filmmaking, nostalgia is undeniably part of it's appeal to people like me, and it's dated a bit now (NOT that that in any way justifies a remake) but I still find it massively appealing despite it's flaws (and not in an ironic so-bad-it's-good way either, I really do think it's good.) Can't believe anyone would bother filming themselves slagging it off though, it hardly commands detailed critical analysis, (or even the childish and lazy jibes the bloke in that video is spouting) it's a bit like tearing a monkey apart for being a shit pianist. It was mauled on release and I can see why it's not to everyone's taste, it's just one of those films some love and some decidedly don't.
Although people that don't like it are incorrect

Jumble Cashback

If you think that's needless, he's also reviewed 'Jingle All The Way' and 'Good Burger'.  With equally obvious results.  The fact that he has amassed such a following amazes me.

uncle_rico

His reviews used to be unmissable for me, but I haven't bothered watching the last few that he's done; he's gotten terribly lazy over the past year.  The last great review (IMO) he did was for Lost in Space, mainly because I can imagine him watching that film at the cinema back in 1998 and being disapointed with it...

He then followed that review up with Home Alone 3 ; a film he probably never saw, until he decided on the review (I'm around the same age as him and I don't remember anyone at my school being excited to see that film when it came out, as it was marketed towards pre-schoolers).

I started watching his review for "The Penquin and the Pebble" (I think that's what its called) a few weeks back, but switched it off when he said something like "I wasted 20 minutes trying to come up with stuff for this review, so I'm sure you (the audience) can waste 20 minutes watching."  If even he's aware of how dull his reviews are getting, why should we bother watching them?

uncle_rico

Quote from: Steven on October 29, 2010, 12:15:36 AM
This was the early 1998 test for Roger Rabbit in 3D, it doesn't look too bad since they used normal hand-drawn animation as the base for the 3d models.

Roger Rabbit 2 screen test

I must say that doesn't look too bad, but you can tell they were too cheap to pay for Charles Fleisher.