Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It was the best of DVDs, It was the worst of DVDs

Started by kidsick5000, October 27, 2010, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Welcome to the extras menu

my name's Louise

and this is my song for the extras menu

Edit: Well, that was worth a new page.

kidsick5000

The Doctor Who Confidentials on the DVDs suffer horrible cutting, I'm guessing dues to rights issues. But what should be that mix of old Who and behind the scenes is reduced to the bare bones "it's lovely to be here" guff.

Jemble Fred

It's sad, rewatching Not The Nine O'Clock News as broadcast, to reflect just how impossible it would be to release them as is – because they're utterly drenched in chart music of the time. Every episode is like The Rock & Roll Years, but obviously you don't get any flavour of that in the edited DVDs.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 01, 2010, 03:26:08 PMThe Doctor Who Confidentials on the DVDs suffer horrible cutting, I'm guessing dues to rights issues.

It is.  When they first came out, they said something like they couldn't afford to pay and/or it would take far too long to track down & negotiate the royalties to all the people involved in the old series clips that get shown.

Famous Mortimer

The US version of "Wet Hot American Summer", alongside other commentary tracks, has the "extra farts soundtrack", which is the film but with loads of fart noises added in all over the place (to excellent comic effect). It's a decent film, I thought, and the added commentaries would make it worth my while, so I bought the British version from Amazon.

Guess how many special features the British version has? None. Scene selection! The cover also looks like a poor quality photocopy, and it just screams of some cheapo comedy the DVD company knocked out to make a cheap buck, and not a film starring some of US comedy's biggest names (Paul Rudd, David Wain, Ken Marino, Bradley Cooper, Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter, etc. etc.) Absolutely baffling.

SavageHedgehog

Well in fairness when Wet Hot American Summer was released here they weren't that big. It was a real cheapie release; I bought my copy in poundland back in 2003.

Rolf Harris

I always feel cheated when a DVD has a sticker on it proclaiming "XX hours of extras!", which you naturally assume is the running time of video features, and then you find out it's galleries, or worse, pages and pages of text. Bastards.