Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:55:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Dark Knight Rises

Started by confettiinmyhair, October 27, 2010, 08:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

May sound sad, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the design of the film is gonna be. Begins was grungey and rainy, a bit Blade Runner. The Dark Knight was all shiny blue Michael Mann. Is this going to be brighter as Batman gets a sort of redemption in the public eye after the last film?

Not sure about the title as I quite liked how the first 2 films felt quite distinct from each other as well as being sequels. This one just sounds a bit too The Dark Knight 2.

Wonder who the fuck the villain's going to be! Thought it was Riddler for certain. the fans all seem to think Tom Hardy will be Black Mask. I reckon they'll do Catwoman. Perhaps they'll do a 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' style telling of her.

Ja'moke

They are currently auditioning for a "lead female role", expected to be Catwoman, but not confirmed at the minute. Apparently those being auditioned are not "big names" ie no Angelina Jolie.

QuoteWarner Bros' new "Batman" film has switched to a higher gear (so much so the production's leaving fire trails), concurrently hitting the gas, with an insider telling Moviehole that a "revolving door will be in operation for the better part of this week" as director Christopher Nolan and producers meet with their prospective female lead.

Nolan began meeting with actors a few weeks back, one of whom was Tom Hardy who was recently reported to be playing an unspecified role in the big-budget blockbuster.

The hunt is now on for the film's Bat babe.

Several young ("Late 20′s, early 30′s") ladies are meeting with the Caped Crusader's resuscitator this week to talk about the new film. Interestingly enough, quite a few of the ladies don't actually know what role they're being asked to read for/meet Nolan about (yep, security is tighter on this thing than the department store Jonathan Switcher worked at in "Mannequin" – Okay, maybe a bit tighter than that) they've just accepted an offer to "meet" with the filmmaker. Presumably, they'll leave the meeting knowing quite a bit more.

I've the names of a couple of the young ladies meeting with Nolan, but I've checked in with them and they've kindly asked me not to name them – at least until they're convinced they haven't got the job (fair enough, don't want to jinx it for anyone).
What I can say is that Nolan is open to casting a fresh face as the female lead; he's not necessarily bringing in the big guns.

http://www.moviehole.net/201032704-exclusive-hunt-for-batman-female-lead-begins

Up until today I was thinking they'd go for a combination of Catwoman, The Riddler, and Hush, based on my limited knowledge of the comic books, those three seem to be involved in storylines together, and are characters that could be well adapted in to Nolan's world. But now he's saying definitely no Riddler, so I'm not sure who the big villain will be, but I'm sure Catwoman will still be involved.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on October 27, 2010, 08:44:47 PM
Though Tom Hardy has been cast.... as somebody

The Mayor of Casterbridge perhaps.

Funcrusher

Batman vs Bronson would be good.

rjd2

As long as their is no Robin, we will be fine.

boxofslice

I liked the idea of just calling it Gotham but that was only in my head. 

lipsink

thugler

Name sounds weird. Surely the rise of the dark knight Sounds more normal?

MojoJojo

Pffp, it's pretty much a law that the third film in any comic book film franchise has to be shit.
You can almost extend it to any 2nd sequel, although there are some exceptions.

Duckula

'The Dark Knight Returns' would have been the most sensible option surely.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 28, 2010, 10:09:49 AM
Pffp, it's pretty much a law that the third film in any comic book film franchise has to be shit.
You can almost extend it to any 2nd sequel, although there are some exceptions.

Well this series already started with a big bag of tedious 'darrrk' bollocks, so that law's not going to work...

Mister Six

Quote from: Duckula on October 28, 2010, 10:18:10 AM
'The Dark Knight Returns' would have been the most sensible option surely.

I'm guessing they'll save that for potential Miller adaptations.

Ja'moke

QuoteUp until yesterday little was known about Chris Nolan's long awaited Batman 3. Today, we know that Batman 3 is now called The Dark Knight Rises and we also know that, despite constant rumour, The Riddler will not feature as a villain.

Tom Hardy, recently announced as being cast in the film, has up until now been thought to be playing the villain, but what if he was with the good guys?

IMDB have updated their cast listing for the film, which hits theatres in 2012. So far the list is pretty scant, featuring the usual cast, Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine. There has been one addition to this list though, Tom Hardy as Detective Harvey Bullock.

http://www.filmshaft.com/rumours-begin-again-for-the-dark-knight-rises/

Jemble Fred

Hardy would make a great Batman – Bale is this franchise's number one Achilles Heel, especially that fucking stupid voice.

Jumble Cashback

Quote from: thugler on October 28, 2010, 10:06:44 AM
Name sounds weird. Surely the rise of the dark knight Sounds more normal?

Possibly too reminiscent of 'Rise of the Silver Surfer' which was, after all, total tits.

small_world

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 28, 2010, 12:01:22 PM
Hardy would make a great Batman – Bale is this franchise's number one Achilles Heel, especially that fucking stupid voice.

Yeah, exactly what I thought when watching it. How can he feel his disguise could work with his facial disfigurement.

lipsink

I'd like to see a good bit more of the 'freaks' in this one. The narrative of the first 2 films implied the old school gangsters of Gotham were dying out and being replaced by the theatrical nutcases like the Joker and Scarecrow. I reckon they should put a good few villains in, maybe as cameos (like Victor Zsasz in BB and Scarecrow in TDK).

mycroft

Quote from: Funcrusher on October 27, 2010, 11:57:31 PM
Batman vs Bronson would be good.

"YOU, BOY!"

Yeah, I'd turn out for that.

Santa's Boyfriend

Fucking hell, that would be the greatest fan film ever made.

Ginyard

Quote from: boxofslice on October 28, 2010, 09:44:43 AM
I liked the idea of just calling it Gotham but that was only in my head.

Gotham is a shit name for a city. Its sounds like the sort of name you'd give to a motorway service station.

Santa's Boyfriend

Tiny Poster

I hope we don't have a really crap boring enemy in this one, like fucking Ra's Al Ghul. Nolan's series needs a bonkers-ass baddie so the entire thing doesn't end up really dull and po-faced, like Batman Begins. Yes to freaks, no to bloody mundane crime-bosses that are just weak copies of The Kingpin anyway.

So. Is Hardy going to play Bane or somesuch then?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He's playing Harvey Bullock, which is a bit silly as the bent copper in the Begins was like Bullock, despite being called Flass.

Tiny Poster

Oh! He's a great physical fit for Bullock, certainly. Can he do the accent? I've only ever seen him do English (Star Trek, Bronson, Inception).

lipsink

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 29, 2010, 03:41:23 PM
He's playing Harvey Bullock, which is a bit silly as the bent copper in the Begins was like Bullock, despite being called Flass.

It's not official though. imdb is the source and they've been wrong before!

Ja'moke

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 29, 2010, 03:41:23 PM

It's only IMDB reporting that though, as it says in that article I posted. IMDB haven't named a source for that information, so it could very well be false.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Tiny Poster on October 29, 2010, 03:26:54 PM
I hope we don't have a really crap boring enemy in this one, like fucking Ra's Al Ghul. Nolan's series needs a bonkers-ass baddie so the entire thing doesn't end up really dull and po-faced, like Batman Begins. Yes to freaks, no to bloody mundane crime-bosses that are just weak copies of The Kingpin anyway.

Pretty much everything in the first film which isn't about "becoming Batman" is pretty awful. The romantic subplot, the completely stupid climax with the microwave generator[nb]including those laughably bad bits with the bloke in the water control centre, or whatever it was[/nb], the batmobile bollocks. Actually, why does the batmobile always feature so much in the films, they always wank on about how amazing it is when it doesn't come up in the comics much at all. Oh yeah, merchandising.

And the second one has all sorts of basic storytelling problems, and the structure and characterisations are all over the place.

It's annoying I actually quite enjoy both films.

Ja'moke

So, according the Deadline.com, these are the actresses up for consideration for the two lead female roles...

Anne Hathaway, Blake Lively, Keira Knightley, Naomi Watts, Natalie Portman, and Rachel Weisz.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/chris-nolan-lines-up-actresses-for-batfilm/

Pretty uninspiring on the whole, they are a little obvious. Out of those, I'd probably like to see Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz, I think they are probably the best acting wise. It depends what the female roles are though.