Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halloween Viewing? (Film & TV)

Started by lipsink, October 31, 2010, 11:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

Sorry if I've missed the thread on this. Just wondering if anyone's got any films etc planned for this evening? I watched opening sequence of The Twilight Zone Movie on YouTube after hearing Collins and Herring mention it yesterday. Was pretty impressed so may watch the rest (heard it's a bit shit but fuck it, I haven't seen it).

Will probably watch the Psychoville Halloween Special too. In the mood for some portmanteau stuff. Will see if I can track Asylum, Tales from the Crypt or From Beyond the Grave online.

Quite a few free films on LoveFilm, so may watch Blood On Satan's Claw (looked good on the Gatiss show) or Poltergeist which I've never actually seen.

Would't mind some freaky British 1970/1980s TV stuff (Tales of the Unexpected?) if anyone can recommend anything?
Or even like a creepy little documentary?

Marty McFly

The first segment of the Twilight Zone movie is fairly awful, and the ending is badly truncated because of the helicopter accident during the filming that killed the lead actor and the two children he was working with (plenty of links about this online if you want to read about it, and there's even very bad quality 'death footage' on YouTube as well). The "Kick The Can" segment isn't much better, but the other two are worth watching, as is the ending. Not the greatest film, but worth seeing if you're a bit of a Zone aficionado.

Portmanteau films you didn't list:

Trilogy of Terror
Cat's Eye
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

Dead kate moss

Hammer recommendation - Creeping Flesh. Victorian reanimation with Peter Cushing.

Portmanteaus are rarely 100% great, but Creepshow has its moments.

Quatermass And The Pit, if you've never seen it, is awesomely creepy.

Tale Of Two Sisters - Spooky Korean Thing.

Jake Thingray

The Stone Tape (BBC, 1972). Really awfully good.

Marty McFly

Epic Bisto

Quote from: lipsink on October 31, 2010, 11:23:39 AM
Blood On Satan's Claw

Me and the gf watched this on Friday as a double-bill with 'Maniac' - she wanted an evening of creepy, unsettling films and we got it in spades.

Jemble Fred

Sorry to be a whore, but if you fancy warming up with some Halloween audio comedy, I'll be playing bits from Fry & Laurie, Cook & Moore, Bottom and more at 6.30 on CaB Radio...

I've also got From Beyond the Grave to sample, but between the show, that and Psychoville and it being Sunday night, there's little room for any kind of movie marathon this year.

I was pretty disappointed with Blood on Satan's Claw to be honest, but that may have been because Gatiss spoke about it in the same breath as The Wicker Man. It just never kicked in as a horror, to me.

Famous Mortimer

Last night was "Night of the Creeps", a lovingly cheesy 80s comedy-horror nicely done on blu-ray, and if I can find them online tonight will be a double bill of Roger Corman - "Masque of the Red Death" and a.n.other.

lipsink

Quote from: Dead kate moss on October 31, 2010, 11:37:25 AM
Quatermass And The Pit, if you've never seen it, is awesomely creepy.

Just checking: the film or the BBC one?

Yep, The Stone Tape and Ghostwatch are both great. As is A Tale of Two Sisters. And Maniac I felt dirty afer watching. Powerfully horrible.

May give Creepshow a go, or a few of the other portmanteau's mentioned. The ones I've seen are Dead of Night and Dr Terror's House of Horrors. I'd love to see some more in this style.

Aye, may give the show a listen, Jerrible. Thanks!

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Marty McFly on October 31, 2010, 11:48:25 AM
one more word for you:

GHOSTWATCH

The highlight of the Halloween party I went to yesterday was when we moved the fridge to find an old 'glory hole' (not that kind) under the stairs, leading to the cellar which nobody in the house had ever dared explore before.

Sadly there was no Pipes, no lathe with dead cats strewn around it, just discarded masonry bits and pieces and some cobwebs. It was exciting at the time, though...

Dead kate moss

Quote from: lipsink on October 31, 2010, 12:06:56 PM
Just checking: the film or the BBC one?

The b/w BBC serial. I think the movie might be good too, but can't remember it as vividly.

BJB

Not sure if this counts, as its neither film or TV, but last night at midnight, I listened to Orsen Welles's recording of  War of the Worlds. Sat in a dark room, I pretended it was 1938 and people were panicking in the streets etc. Hadn't heard it before this morning, and it lived up to expectations. I can see what people were  worried about.

Seven should have arrived from Lovefilm today, but I'll probably end up watching the Psychoville special thing, and maybe Evil Dead later.

boxofslice

I'll be watching the Psychoville thing later too.  Maybe the original The Haunting afterwards.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Vault of Horror is a great British portmanteau - chock full of great British character actors of the 70s - Terry Thomas, Tom Baker, Daniel Massie, Michael Craig and lots of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Jake Thingray

ARFUR MULLARD was in it! In between fucking his kids. Disappointing that Tom Baker's gruesome demise is not actually shown on screen, even in the throes of death he'd still be overacting and about to fling his scarf around and go "Mwah-hah!! BAI JOVE, K-9!!!".

Speaking of the silly little boys who worship the hammy drunkard, please don't pay any heed of Gatiss' opinion on anything. He's just me when I was fourteen years old.

Any Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode where they riff on a horror movie would be good fun.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I might give Blair Witch Project another viewing. It's over a decade later and I still can't quite make my mind up about it.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Dead kate moss on October 31, 2010, 11:37:25 AM
Hammer recommendation - Creeping Flesh. Victorian reanimation with Peter Cushing.

It was from Tigon (my dad said that all minor league film companies at that time sounded more like tubes of toothpaste), not Hammer. Although obviously in the same line. Reading its billing in the RADIO TIMES many years ago, the mere mention of the phrase "a hideous skeleton" got me excited.

quadraspazzed

I might go for a double bill of 'Black Death' and 'Blood On Satan's Claw'. Neither of which I have yet seen.

Custard

Every October, i watch nothing but horror films. This time round i've ploughed through somewhere between 25 - 30, keeping an occasional log on my bloggy thingy. Finished up last night/today with An American Werewolf and IT.

Erm, won't list them all here, but also seen Pontypool, the Saw films, Final Destination, The Innocents, The Brood, Possession, and Black Christmas, to name a few.

All in all, its been fun, but i think the process has sent me slightly mad. You can only watch people get eaten/killed/raped/tortured so many times before it starts getting you down a bit.

So it's all lighthearted, throwaway chuff for the forseeable future. Phew.

Jemble Fred

Speaking of which I'm just going to start testing for spooky music/comedy on CaB Radio at 7pm...

Small Man Big Horse

Black Sheep is on tonight on BBC2 at 11.30pm, I saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it a lot, it strikes the balance between comedy and horror really well.

Viero_Berlotti

If you can't find anything on TV, Blink Box has got a good collection free b-movie, horror films to watch online.

My pick for tonight has to comedy horror Waxwork 2: Lost In Time

http://www.blinkbox.com/Free/Movie/34698/Waxwork-II

It's rarely broadcast on TV, and it's never been released on DVD, but in my opinion it's a bit of a forgotten classic. An insanely fun pastiche of lots of different horror film genres, a bit like an early 1990's take on the portmanteau horror films of the 1970's.

It's got Bruce Campbell in it as well.

Pepotamo1985

I went to a 'Vintage 80s Horror All-Nighter' at Electric Cinema in Portobello Road last night, got to see The Thing, Re-Animator, Evil Dead 2 and Poltergheist. It was fucking epic - Re-Animator in particular was glorious, totally ridiculous and cheesy in the vein of Darkplace (no exterior scenes to speak of, cheap looking sets, gratuitous nudity) for half its running time before descending/ascending into a proper Lovecraftian terror, with a disembodied head trying to perform cunnilingus on a rather genitally hirsute blonde girl tied to an operating table and lots of reanimated corpses. I had a whale of a time.

Got nuff love for The Thing as well. Wonderfully tense and atmospheric.

Custard

Heh, i bought Re-Animator on the recommendation of someone on here (sorry, i'm terrible at remembering names n things) a couple weeks back, and greatly enjoyed it too. Great fun from start to messy finish.

Marty McFly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 31, 2010, 12:06:14 PM
Last night was "Night of the Creeps", a lovingly cheesy 80s comedy-horror nicely done on blu-ray

Ah, that's a great film.. with all the characters named after notables from the world of horror.

Also by the same director is The Monster Squad, which is kind of a Goonies-but-for-horror-obsessed-kids. Not scary at all, but a good bit of fun nonetheless. Don't think it's on Blu-Ray yet, but the Region 1 DVD is easily obtained.

mjwilson

Just watched Saw IV (after recording it off the telly the other day). Had to Google quite a few bits to work out what was going on though, it turns out that the Saw films are a bit like Lost.

Spiteface

Hehe, indeed they are, Saw IV onwards especially.

Out of interest, how many of the other films had you seen prior to watching Saw IV?

mjwilson

Quote from: Spiteface on October 31, 2010, 09:32:20 PM
Hehe, indeed they are, Saw IV onwards especially.

Out of interest, how many of the other films had you seen prior to watching Saw IV?

I've seen the first three, but not for a while, and I didn't remember a lot of detail about the plots.

Spoiler alert
I certainly wasn't in a position to recognise the character who wanders in from Saw III towards the end.
[close]

lipsink

Which should I go for (after Psychoville of course): Asylum or Blood On Satan's Claw?