Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My PS3 just died

Started by mobias, October 31, 2010, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Just as I passed the last mission of Undead Nightmare! Fuck! Its the blinking red light of death problem where by the machine boots up for a few brief moments before turning itself off again. Has anyone else here with one of the old PS3's had this problem? I think its a relatively cheap and easy fix (touch wood) if you use one of the third party online repair places. I've done pretty well actually since I got my machine on launch day and haven't had any problems with it until now. There were tons of stories going about that this was happening to people after only having had their machines for a few months. Its strange reading around forums about people now on their third or fourth PS3 or 360. What do these people do to their consoles? Kick them about the floor?

Little Hoover

You could call up and see if they'll give you a replacement, although if it's that old I'd guess that falls outside the gurantee period. I've had free replacements twice, although my issue was with it not reading discs, and they were both machines that had broken down within a year.

mobias

Quote from: Little Hoover on October 31, 2010, 09:34:33 PM
You could call up and see if they'll give you a replacement, although if it's that old I'd guess that falls outside the gurantee period. I've had free replacements twice, although my issue was with it not reading discs, and they were both machines that had broken down within a year.

Its well out with its warranty unfortunately. Also Sony, for reasons I'm not at all clear about, will wipe the hard drive of all machines they repair and i don't have any of my game saves saved for backup.

Its actually a relatively easy problem to fix ( there are tutorials for doing it on youtube) but I don't trust myself so I'm going to get someone who knows what they're doing to fix it. 

Little Hoover

Oh well that's probably wise then.

In my case when it broked down with the disc reading error, I had a disc stuck in the machine and they even bothered to send the disc back to me, about 6 weeks after it was replaced. Which isn't really amazing  customer service I suppose, but you just somehow assume they'll be terrible.