Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Broadband and phone help

Started by Mister Six, November 01, 2010, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

As of this week I've got a new flat and a nascent freelance journo career, so I need to sort myself out with broadband internet and - possibly - a phone line pronto. Can anyone recommend a decent UK broadband firm? I've heard mixed things about BT (okay, mostly Richard Herring slagging them off), and while Plusnet seem to have some good deals I don't know anyone who uses them. I'd prefer to have uncapped bandwidth too.

Also, do iPhones, Androids or other fancy phones have a function that allows them to record phone calls? My only reason for having a landline would be so that I could record interviews that I'd be performing, but I'm wondering whether it might be cheaper just to get a contract phone with a record facility - preferably one that makes PC-compatible files.

I'm in the Holloway Road area of London, if that's relevant.

Help me, CaB! Grown-up life is big and scary and I need someone to hold my hand.

Lfbarfe

Plusnet is a division of BT. O2 do very good broadband at a very good price, but only if your exchange has been fitted with their equipment. If not, they resell BT Wholesale.

Zetetic

Quote from: Mister Six on November 01, 2010, 11:23:59 PM
I'd prefer to have uncapped bandwidth too.
Then you'll have a broadband provider that'll do everything in their power to make it meaningless. And it'll still have a cap, it's just that at most you won't be able to discover what it is and it'll be part of the Fair-Use Policy. AAISP is a possibility, in that at least they're clear about bandwidth caps and don't use throttling, but they may seem expensive. They're unlikely to disconnect you in the event of any unpleasantness as well.

QuoteAlso, do iPhones, Androids or other fancy phones have a function that allows them to record phone calls? My only reason for having a landline would be so that I could record interviews that I'd be performing, but I'm wondering whether it might be cheaper just to get a contract phone with a record facility - preferably one that makes PC-compatible files.
Possibly consider Skype? You'll still need extra software even if you take that approach though.

Zetetic

Quote from: Lfbarfe on November 01, 2010, 11:27:24 PM
O2 do very good broadband at a very good price, but only if your exchange has been fitted with their equipment. If not, they resell BT Wholesale.
I'm assuming that 'Holloway Road' means that whatever the local exchange is, that there are 3rd parties there.

Wilbur

As of this week I've got a new flat and a nascent freelance journo career, so I need to sort myself out with broadband internet and - possibly - a phone line pronto. Can anyone recommend a decent UK broadband firm? I've heard mixed things about BT (okay, mostly Richard Herring slagging them off), and while Plusnet seem to have some good deals I don't know anyone who uses them. I'd prefer to have uncapped bandwidth too.

Also, do iPhones, Androids or other fancy phones have a function that allows them to record phone calls? My only reason for having a landline would be so that I could record interviews that I'd be performing, but I'm wondering whether it might be cheaper just to get a contract phone with a record facility - preferably one that makes PC-compatible files.

I'm in the Holloway Road area of London, if that's relevant.

Help me, CaB! Grown-up life is big and scary and I need someone to hold my hand.

BE unlimited are part of O2 and cheaper. I recommend although you may be put off by their hideous web site.

greencalx

BE Unlimited have served me well too. Living close to the exchange I get the full 24Mbps, despite the extremely dodgy-looking wiring that hangs down the back of the flat and blows around in the wind.  As with any network, you get the odd periods of sloth / dodgy routing / DNS weirdness, but I've only noticed problems on two or three occasions (and none of these have been recently - about 2 years ago DNS was a frequent issue but, fingers crossed, that seems to be sorted now). The tech support have been responsive and competent on the couple of occasions I've contacted them.

Of course, if you go into the support forums you'll find loads of wailing, gnashing of teeth, accusations of caps and throttles. My feeling is that people think they should be getting leased-line performance despite paying 1/15th the cost... I must have missed the "moon on a stick" option when I signed up.

MojoJojo

I think you have to get a fixed phone line with any broadband package... at least I'm not aware of any that don't.  ADSL goes down the phone line, after all.

I had a look at Android market to see if there are any phone recording apps. One which seems to suggests it does but lots of user comments complaining that it doesn't work. I think there are technical and legal reasons why such an app is probably not available/doesn't work well. If you need to do this for work I would suggest against trying it.

Dead kate moss

Ignatius_S

....Also, do iPhones, Androids or other fancy phones have a function that allows them to record phone calls? My only reason for having a landline would be so that I could record interviews that I'd be performing, but I'm wondering whether it might be cheaper just to get a contract phone with a record facility - preferably one that makes PC-compatible files...
Just for sake of argument, you only get a mobile and your network goes down, what are you going to do then?

As MojoJojo said, you'll need to rent a landline anyway – you wouldn't have to get a telephone service as part of the package, but that's going to save you practically nothing.

There are recording apps out there and but normally there are restrictions like  associated costs to use it.

Mister Six

Cheers, man. It looks like BE Internet requires a BT landline anyway so I might as well get a phone, I suppose...

Ignatius_S

One thing that I meant to mention, when transcribing tapes, a foot pedal is very handy - e.g. http://www.footpedals.net/

Audio transcription software would be worth looking at.

Mister Six

Oooh, those pedals look good but they're a bit of a luxury at the minute. Will have to rely on the tedious, 'stop typing, rewind a bit, play again' method for now.

One last question: there's phone hooked up in the place which suggests that there's a phone line, but Be Internet and the like need the number before I can use them. How can I find that out without paying for a BT bloke to come around? The owner doesn't know.

Also - do I need a tenancy agreement to activate the line? My mate whose mum owns the flat says I will, but as I'm just there as a friend and without a contract I don't have the agreement at all.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on November 02, 2010, 04:43:22 PM
Oooh, those pedals look good but they're a bit of a luxury at the minute. Will have to rely on the tedious, 'stop typing, rewind a bit, play again' method for now.

One last question: there's phone hooked up in the place which suggests that there's a phone line, but Be Internet and the like need the number before I can use them. How can I find that out without paying for a BT bloke to come around? The owner doesn't know.

Also - do I need a tenancy agreement to activate the line? My mate whose mum owns the flat says I will, but as I'm just there as a friend and without a contract I don't have the agreement at all.
The pedals have the double bonus of being fun, but they are very very good. If you do end up doing a lot of taped interviews, they're a good investment... as you'll see for yourself.

With the phone line, I would call BT and ask them – just because there's a box, doesn't actually mean it's ever been connected to anything. If a phone line is there, it used to be that they just needed to flick a switch at the exchange – if it hasn't been used for a while, then it might need an engineer. When I went with Virgin, I had a deal where the installation was next to nothing.

I don't think I've ever needed a tenancy agreement when I've taken out a phone line (not that often admittedly).

Mister Six

greencalx

BT may claim that your property's never been connected even though it has. I once moved into a flat, plugged a phone into a socket sporting a 1980's BT logo, and got a noise that said "Yip - it's connected to something". BT believed their database that had no record of a phone line at the flat more than the evidence I presented to them. Had to pay the full connection fee, but it was waived when the engineer came round, took one look at it and said "I could have done this from the exchange".

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on November 02, 2010, 05:13:13 PM
Brilliant, cheers!
Ah, I would save your thanks until you get it sorted and I hadn't given you with a load of duff information!

Quote from: greencalx on November 02, 2010, 06:34:00 PM
BT may claim that your property's never been connected even though it has. I once moved into a flat, plugged a phone into a socket sporting a 1980's BT logo, and got a noise that said "Yip - it's connected to something". BT believed their database that had no record of a phone line at the flat more than the evidence I presented to them. Had to pay the full connection fee, but it was waived when the engineer came round, took one look at it and said "I could have done this from the exchange".
With something like that, I would expect it was more a case of user error, rather than the database – with some addresses it could be easy mixing properties up.

Things might be different these days, but it used to be the case that BT always sent out engineers to residential customers as a last resort – mainly because more time spent on residential jobs meant less time spent on business customers, which made far more money. In the case of installation, I don't think the amount charged to residential customers covered the entire cost to the company (due to regulation, the company didn't have control over it).

If there is a line but it hasn't been used for a long time, connection may not be possible from the exchange and an engineer does have to come out.

greencalx

Yes, but if you plug a phone into it and it goes "Whee-oo-whee-oo-whee-oo" it's clearly connected to something.  Might not be an exchange as such, might just be a green cabinet - but they don't need an engineer to go into the flat to sort it out. The BT salespeople simply could not grasp that, because the one flat out of eight didn't appear in their database, didn't mean it didn't exist!

I've heard similar stories from a number of other people in my area - sounds almost like a deliberate policy or something.

Actually, the best example along these lines was someone who got a call from an engineer asking what street they were in, as they couldn't find it. Turned out the customer's premises was in Edinburgh, and the engineer was in London.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: greencalx on November 04, 2010, 05:19:26 PM
Yes, but if you plug a phone into it and it goes "Whee-oo-whee-oo-whee-oo" it's clearly connected to something.  Might not be an exchange as such, might just be a green cabinet - but they don't need an engineer to go into the flat to sort it out. The BT salespeople simply could not grasp that, because the one flat out of eight didn't appear in their database, didn't mean it didn't exist!

I've heard similar stories from a number of other people in my area - sounds almost like a deliberate policy or something.

Actually, the best example along these lines was someone who got a call from an engineer asking what street they were in, as they couldn't find it. Turned out the customer's premises was in Edinburgh, and the engineer was in London.
As I say, there are times when the engineer does have to access to the flat when the line has not been used in a very long time. This obviously isn't the case with your line, but on the BT system, the person should be able to tell if it is and explain that to the customer that they need to book an engineer to visit.

BT is losing money when they send an engineer even if a full installation is needed – and if it turns out if no engineer is needed, then that worker could have been doing something that actually brings in the money and the customer is annoyed... it's not a company policy, it's the last thing BT wants.

I appreciate how frustrating it must have been for you, but it would be cock-up than by design.