Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:03:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tintin and the Uncanny Valley

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2010, 01:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

First pics of Tintin up. And they're... well... I'll let you decide.

Article (but sadly no more pics) here.

VegaLA

I was just reading about that on DarkHorizons. Didn't Moffat write the script for this one and was asked by Spielberg to do the sequels but turned it down in favour of Dr Who?
I wish this had been live action as opposed to animnation but i'll be sure to see it either way.

Absorb the anus burn

Captain Haddock looks horrible in that second shot......... The upturned rowing boat is more like it. Fingers crossed, but the books are impossible to match. Every panel from Tintin In America onwards is a miniature work of art.

HAYRDRYAH

How are his nose and mouth casting a shadow?

Harpo Speaks

Joe Cornish worked on this didn't he?

Santa's Boyfriend

Apparently, yeah.

I think they're getting it right.  They're going for a realistic-ish look, but not photorealism, more like pixar realism but pushed a stage or two further.  It's definitely still cartoony though, and that's going to be important.

Personally I'm hoping this'll mean the Tintin books finally come out in America and get the attention they deserve.  It's one of the only places in the world where comics are read but Tintin is unknown.

I recently re-watched the first of the live action Tintin films from the 60s, 'The Mystery of the Golden Fleece', which used to crop up on the telly back in the late 70s. I thought it was great, with the characterisation totally spot on, particularly with Captain Haddock ('Ostrogoths! Ectoplasm!'). Will need to watch the second one, 'The Blue Oranges' again soon - haven't seen it since a double bill with 'The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery' at the GFT in the early 80s, when I was in a major Tintin phase.

Custard

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on November 02, 2010, 01:15:56 AM
Captain Haddock looks horrible in that second shot.........

He looks like an old drunk fella i always see sitting by the window in my local Wetherspoons.

It's not my reflection, you cheeky gits.

Jumble Cashback

More pics here:  http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/110107-more-images-from-the-adventures-of-tintin

I'm actually beginning to think it might be alright.  Certainly, the use of colour is excellent.  I just hope it's nothing like Polar Express.

Tiny Poster

Jesus! The characters look so frightening. They remind me of this:

Jumble Cashback

Argh!  Christ, I've never seen that before.  Horrific.  Your point is well made though, the cross between cartoony features and realism is a bit dubious.  Thomson and Thompson and Tintin himself look not too bad, even though the represent opposite ends of the scale.

Lt Plonker

I dunno. It's neither on thing nor the other - it's got (some of) the caricature of the cartoon strip, yet it's been doused in realism. I'm not quite sure what they're gaining by using the 'performance capture' technique here.

EDIT: Oop. Beaten to it.

I mean, it'll be an interesting experiment, I guess. Jackson seems to have made good use of 'performance capture' (unlike Zemeckis), but those characters (the giant ape, Golem) were kind of other-worldly and not human.

AsparagusTrevor

Is there a proper term for this style of animation/3D modelling? I mean, it's certainly not a new thing, the, erm, hyper-photorealism thing has been around since Toy Story and probably before, caricatures of humans/animals with photorealistic texture/lighting etc.

I always find it slightly jarring at first watching the CGI animal films that come out every week, so much effort has gone into the landscapes, the lighting, the physics, animals covered in realistic fur etc, then it's all offset by the unrealistic features and the cartoon-like animation.

boxofslice

The thing I've noticed with these motion/performance capture animation is they never get the eyes right. 

Jumble Cashback

Yup, you're right.  They always look too shaded and not physically real enough.  They nailed it with a lot of the shots of Two-Face in The Dark Knight though, so hopefully it's on its way out.

As for it being neither one thing nor the other, I agree LP, but the Tintin comics are kind of that way anyway; backgrounds, costumes and anatomy are all quite detailed and (in comic book terms) quite realistic, but the faces, colours and some of the proportions are very cartoony.  I think the Normal Mapping is the key here, if they've done a detailed enough Normal Map and not just left it to the Skins to create the illusion of surface texture, then it should look okay in motion.  Hopefully.

Catalogue Trousers

In all fairness, that look for Haddock works well for the early books, where it's strongly implied that he's a (barely) functional alcoholic. One of the genuinely moving and well-done bits of characterisation as the books go on is how he gradually controls the bouze, rather than it controlling him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I thought Homer was supposed to have more of a beard than that.

Anyway, I like the look of Tintin here. The stylistics are really complimentary. I will be watching.

Jones The Bond

My concern with this film isn't really about the animation (I think those pics look fine, espcially Haddock, it's kinda spot on to what I reemmeber from the cartoon in the 90's). It's more about the idea that they are condensing Crab with Golden Claws which can;t be ignored cause it's where Tintin meets Haddock), Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure into one film.  Leads me to think some details are gonna get skimmed over.  And have I missed something or is Calculus not in this?  I haven't heard mention of him yet and he's crucial to the treasure hunt. And especially if Jackson wants to follow it up with The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun.

El Unicornio, mang

Since I was exposed to my Dad's Spitting Image book when I was a kid, containing the Tintin pastiche "Tum Tum and the Forged Expenses", I've been unable to think of Captain Haddock without imagining him sitting in a gay bar dressed in leathers.

Re: the film, I think the animation looks nice and it seems to be in good hands, I just hope they keep the tone of the books, and try not to make it all modern and "risque".

sirhenry

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 14, 2010, 02:59:36 AM
Re: the film, I think the animation looks nice and it seems to be in good hands, I just hope they keep the tone of the books, and try not to make it all modern and "risque".
No matter how adult and "risque" they make it, it'll never be Breaking Free. Thankfully.

samadriel