Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

C.O.D.B.O.

Started by solidified gruel merchant, November 09, 2010, 10:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone got this yet? Massively surprised there's not a thread for it- feel free to call me an arse if I've missed it!

presta didwicks

glitch

Grabbed it on preorder and have been playing on Live since Monday night. I thought I was early but there were already people playing who were level 30!

I was going to make a thread but got caught up playing Zombies for the past few hours :v

So far I'm enjoying it. I've only played MW2 so can only compare it to that. The marketplace system means you don't necessarily have to wait ages before you start making decent classes, so multiplayer is a bit more accessible than before. I'm a bit annoyed some of the perks didn't make the transition from MW2 (Stopping Power is sorely missed) and there aren't deathstreaks at all. Kills made by rewards don't count towards killstreaks, so you can't do cheeky combos like Predator->Harrier->Pavelow.

Multiplayer seems faster in Black Ops, respawning is quicker and you don't seem to spawn too far from where you died. I'm not sure this is a good thing as you can end up being killed over and over if the entire enemy team stay as a blob.

Yet to try the singleplayer and probably won't until I start to get bored of multiplayer.

wheatgod

My first impressions of multiplayer, comparing it to MW2:

Maps aren't as good - MW2's were well crafted, every corner was thought out and experimented with until the maps were tight as anything. I find Treyarch's maps are made just to be interesting areas, rather than finely tuned and balanced battlespaces.

Sounds - is it just me or do the guns sound a lot weaker? Also the sound of your own footsteps can be weird and out of order. Again, I noticed this with Treyarch's World At War.

Not blown away by the Cod $ thing.

So all in all, quite average for me so far. Might even go back to Mw2 if I don't grow in to this one. Single player is apparently excellent, mind.

Slaaaaabs

They want €60 for a PC download, which is €15 more than a currency conversion of the £40 UK price on the SAME FUCKING SITE. Piss off.

thugler

Single player is the same old crap.

Space ghost

There's some excellent if slightly clichéd use of period music in the campaign CCR and the stones so far in the Vietnam sections.

It is most exhilarating!

MojoJojo

Quote from: thugler on November 12, 2010, 11:23:14 AM
Single player is the same old crap.

On that theme...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6HbgEjY&feature=player_embedded

Summary - one of the missions played on the hardest difficulty level without shooting anyone (except for 2 scripted bits).

El Unicornio, mang

How does this compare to Modern Warfare 1? It's the only one I've played and on single player find it very enjoyable and challenging. Heard MW2 was a dip in quality so am hesitant about getting it after I've finished the first one.

ThickAndCreamy

I bought Modern Warfare 2 when it came out and I really enjoyed the multiplayer for a while. It then became dull, repetitive drivel and I can't see why this games multiplayer would be any different.

The single player is just obviously shit, it's almost clichéd to say this but it's still very true: it's just the gaming equivalent of a Michael Bay movie or fucking Avatar.

I've still yet to play a multiplayer game online that beats Team Fortress 2 in its originality, diversity and the sheer fun it creates. Every other COD game hasn't come close with repeated plays, and I doubt this will. If you start accepting shit like this as good games, then the industry will just decay ever more.

Fuck shit like this, Killzone and Halo to hell essentially.

El Unicornio, mang

I've heard Killzone and Halo are great, but I'm not that big into the sci-fi shooters. I prefer the realistic contemporary warfare of games like Battlefield Bad Company and COD 4. I'm a bit of a military/weapons buff so they get my juices flowing nicely (and the bit in MW1 where the boat is tipping over as you try to escape was one of the my most exciting gaming experiences). I might possibly get bored once I get onto the sequels though.

glitch

Sorry to Monkey Tennis, whenever I see someone on Combat Training I always jump in to ruin the compstomp ;)

wheatgod

niat

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on November 09, 2010, 10:05:51 PM
Anyone got this yet? Massively surprised there's not a thread for it- feel free to call me an arse if I've missed it!

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 18, 2010, 10:34:09 AM
On that theme...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6HbgEjY&feature=player_embedded

Summary - one of the missions played on the hardest difficulty level without shooting anyone (except for 2 scripted bits).

The plentiful comments on that video are pathetic.

small_world

Just got this (oddly, from my girlfriend, who after buying it FOR ME is totally opposed to me actually playing on it, but there we go). Really enjoying it, but I'm a bit shit.
I love domination and the standard team deathmatches. I struggle to understand some of the other game types, but I'm learning.
I like the level progression (by the way I'm solely on about online multiplayer), how all of the guns and game types aren't available right from the start.

And, I am pretty shit at it, but I think I'll learn, I'm still to host a game, which in my experience makes all the difference, when I used to play Rainbow 6 online over the xbox (the original one?) I'd be pretty shit unless I was actually hosting a game. Then the decisions seem to go more to the host.

I'm finding it hard not dying, I'll often just run around dead quick trying to find people to shoot at, my deaths are easily !00% on top of my kills, often more like 2-300% Mostly due to the fact that I'm playing on domination, and my game plan is rush the objective/score as many points from winning bases.

Also guns, the Ak74(?) is alright, and I'll be between that and the Famas, I've just levelled up to level 30, so I have a few more guns open to me, but these two seem to work best for me at the minute.

More playing required I think.

bitpunk

Well, my copy has hit eBay.  I just can't be arsed with the annoyance factor any more.  These patches have done nothing for me ... I still get binned out of matches, cannot hook up to parties, etc.

MW2 is now back in the drive and it feels a far superior game to me.  It looks better, plays better and it actually has maps where you can use sniper rifles in the manner in which they are meant to be used!

glitch

I'm still playing this pretty much every day. Really helps to party with people, such a different experience - so much fun causing another party of 6 to ragequit after they thought your team would be easy to roll over.

Quote from: small_world on January 09, 2011, 07:01:16 PM
Also guns, the Ak74(?) is alright, and I'll be between that and the Famas, I've just levelled up to level 30, so I have a few more guns open to me, but these two seem to work best for me at the minute.

AK74 is probably the most over-used gun, so much so that I don't bother with a Scavenger class for it as I can always pick up new ones. Put Rapid Fire and a Grip on there and it's a beast. It's my fall-back class, although these days for smaller maps I prefer the MPL + Rapid-fire and Commando + Extended Mags + Silencer for larger maps. Huge maps like Array I always go M16 + Silencer. Burst fire is great for improving your accuracy and I really recommend the silencer, it completely fucks most people up as they have no idea where you're firing from until you've killed them.

I'd also suggest motion scanners, they seem criminally underused by most people and are a great way to control an area.

Quote from: bitpunk on January 10, 2011, 09:29:44 AM
Well, my copy has hit eBay.  I just can't be arsed with the annoyance factor any more.  These patches have done nothing for me ... I still get binned out of matches, cannot hook up to parties, etc.

MW2 is now back in the drive and it feels a far superior game to me.  It looks better, plays better and it actually has maps where you can use sniper rifles in the manner in which they are meant to be used!

Are you PS3 or XBox? Seems the PS3 has way more issues than 360. Tried MW2 again the other night and really can't stand it, although that's probably because only the really, really hardcore types are still playing it and have all the spawns memorised etc.

small_world

Is it me or do people not really talk?
AS I mentioned before I used to play Rainbow 6 loads, there was always plenty of banter, loads of in-game communication, telling people locations and traps. On CODBO people either leave their mic on by accident, and you hear the general sounds of life from their end. Or someone comes on and screams for a few minutes until everyone mutes them.
I've never had an actual conversation while playing this. Again, on Rainbow 6 (Las Vegas, I think) I had one of the best conversations of my life, with a group of Yanks at about 3am UK time. About 'Toaster Pockets' or something... I don't remember really, but it was funny.

Subtle Mocking

It's because it's mostly made up of unusually angry teenagers or fat nerds. There's a thread on online gaming experiences which pretty much details the sort of thing that made Modern Warfare 2 so awful to play online.

VegaLA

This finally hit my radar last night.
The new DLC includes Danny 'Machette' Treijo, Robert 'Freddy' Englund, that blonde chick from buffy and the master of Zombies himself, George fucking Romero in Call of the Dead.

Should I....should I?

glitch

Have you played Zombies before? Did you like it? If yes, buy it. If no, I wouldn't recommend it. It's no Left 4 Dead.

I like the new maps (although I'd prefer a game that only had about five maps so I could actually master them) but I haven't even touched the new zombies one. I don't really like zombies. I don't have friends to play regularly with, so it's mainly a single player thing for me. Trying to survive in a place with multiple entrances just feels like a losing battle right from the start. At least in deathmatch I die because of a fair thing like lack of skill.

VegaLA

Ahh, thanks for that, no, never played so this may be something i'd try much later down the road when the price drops, which will probably be later this year if the rumours of Modern Warfare 3 are true.
I don't have linkage for that story as it appeared on one of my RSS feeds on my phone but I think Team XBox have the scoop. I thought that francise had been killed after the fallout of Activision with the IW guys?