Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,473
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PAL regions question

Started by eluc55, November 15, 2010, 11:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eluc55

Quick question. Will a game brought in England work on a Australian Xbox?

I think we're PAL region 2, and they're PAL region 4.

Does anyone know? I cant find a definitive answer online.

If it won't, where's a good, legal place to but australian games online?

Sorry about this, I'm trying to help a  friend out, and don't want to reveal how shit I am.

ps. sorry, at work, so message is very rushed.

Uncle TechTip

Think you're getting your DVD and PAL regions mixed up. According to this, both countries are in the same PAL region: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_region The difference locks out NTSC which is Americas only.

bitesize

i'm fairly sure they do work interchangeably. we are the same region, and both PAL, so they should do.[nb]not a guarantee[/nb]

Consignia

Usually, Australian games work with European consoles and vice versa. I can't say definitively, but traditionally OZ and UK releases have been lumped together in productions, due to the fact they are PAL regions, so they have the same TV output requirements. I don't know if this is true of the Xbox[nb]Are you talking about the original or the 360?[/nb], but I think there's a good chance it will.

Ignatius_S

The regions for games are the same on both the original Xbox and 360:

NTSC-U/C - US & Canadian systems
NTSC-J - Japanese, Asian or Korean systems
PAL - European or Australian and New Zealand systems

Worth pointing out btw that all PS3 and DS games are region-free, as are some 360 games (no idea about the Wii).

AsparagusTrevor

I'm pretty sure the Wii's very strictly region-coded .

buntyman

Certain PS3 games are region locked too I believe. Definitely worth researching before buying. Shame the Wii doesn't let you play imported games as I want to get Kirby for it now. The Gamecube had a Freeloader disc that worked a treat for that purpose.

Consignia

Quote from: waste of chops on November 15, 2010, 07:35:33 PM
Worth pointing out btw that all PS3 and DS games are region-free, as are some 360 games (no idea about the Wii).

But DSi games are region locked on DSis (but not regular DSs), so that's something to watch out for. I don't think there are many, but I'd be wary of the 3DS being region locked as well.

The Wii is region locked, but is a piece of piss to hack, and get a region free mod in it.

Incidently, I think the 360 is the least freindly in this regard, as if a game is locked, you are buggered. You can't even mod them to play out of region games, and I think even pirated games have to be modified to play in a different region. Not 100% on the last point, it's been a while since I looked into such things.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Consignia on November 15, 2010, 08:37:24 PM
But DSi games are region locked on DSis (but not regular DSs), so that's something to watch out for. I don't think there are many, but I'd be wary of the 3DS being region locked as well....
At the moment, it's mainly the downloadable software, but as these only work on the DSi, this isn't much of an issue.

I think there's only three retail games for the DSi and given what's come out, if you're not that bothered about using the camera to play games, I'm not sure there's much to worry about...

Consignia

Yeah, it's more of a concern for the future really, since that's the way Nintendo are going, I think the 3DS is likely to be locked. The only reason I really mentioned it was because one of my DS games has DSi enchancements that mean it won't work on a local DSi.

eluc55

Thanks for all the answers, folks. Much appreciated.

It was the 360, in answer to someone's question. Looks like my friend can buy the game here though and send it Australia fairly confident it will work on their consoles. 

Ta very much. Now please use this thread to post pictures of your favourite bums.

Consignia

Quote from: eluc55 on November 16, 2010, 01:48:09 AM
Ta very much. Now please use this thread to post pictures of your favourite bums.

My time to shine.