Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:50:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Online Gaming Experiences (Particularly With Dickheads)

Started by Neil, November 17, 2010, 11:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Do you have many run-ins with cocks when online gaming?  I don't really, and mostly I keep my mic off, but I've been switching it on lately.  Mostly, I just find it very, very amusing when people kick off or act like dicks, and I would only mute someone if they're playing offensive music or white noise down the headset.

Yesterday, though, I got team-killed, then "tea-bagged" for a few minutes.  After that, I got called a "faggot", to which I politely pointed out that I wasn't the gentleman who had just spent ages dipping my pixelated balls into some blokes unconcious face. 

I'd be interested in hearing any of the downright bizarre things you've experienced online, too, not just the dippy kids. 

Tokyo Sexwhale

I've never bothered to connect my XBox up to the internet - probably because I remember playing Diablo years ago and having my ears collected by 10 year old fucking kids.

Anyway, I was curious about how one would teabag or get teabagged in an online game...and found this rather amusing video on youtube.

Online interactions not rated: Teabagging

Viero_Berlotti

I got a load of xenophobic/racial abuse playing Splinter Cell online on the Xbox a few years ago. My gamertag was AnimalPablo and I was constantly hounded out of games for being 'a fucking latino' and that there were 'no latinos allowed on this server, fuck off to the Spanish server'.

Presumably the ignorant fucks picked up on the Pablo part of the gamertag and presumed that meant I was from Spanish descent (I'm not, which doesn't matter anyway). By and large my experiences of online gaming have been ruined by this kind of behaviour, to the point where a don't bother with online gaming anymore. I just tend to play the single player type games. I know I'm missing out tons not playing online, but I really have a short fuse when it comes to the minority of fuckwits that ruin online gaming.

glitch

It's interesting how different games attract different audiences and how that's reflected by vocal comms though. One of the reasons I love COD is because of all the screaming kids, part of the game for me is to make them hurl abuse after I've killed them in some annoying way. On the other side of that is L4D - I assume the stronger teamplay element draws in a different crowd and so helpful, polite chatter isn't that unexpected. Several times I've joined some random game and then spent the next few hours with the same people just chatting away about various shit. Until a horde or Tank turned up, obviously.

Cold Meat Platter

Funny you started this thread as just tonight I got an xbox live voice message off some ridiculous cunt that I have obviously played at COD recently bemoaning the fact that i had killed someone he had already shot or some such shit .
The fellow seemed rather upset by my having shot a man in a game about men shooting each other and wished to cause physical harm to my person and also to perform sexual shenanigans with my grandmother (alas long dead).

Its quite odd getting a message thats made entirely of abuse and it strikes me that the chap must have a deep love of competitive multiplayer to go to the trouble of recording and sending me a threatening mesage for fucking his killstreak.

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I used to play a lot online, but got sick of kids and bellends ruining everything. It took a while, but eventually I found a group of decent people I'd play with frequently, and these days I barely ever play online with random folk (except as part of a team with the aforementioned decent people).
One genre based exception is racing games, where I find it doesn't really matter. However, I was on Modnation Racers just the other night and went into a lobby where this one guy was hurling (text) abuse at another player, just taking the whole thing way too seriously (which is difficult in such a lighthearted, silly and downright fun game as Modnation). This went on in between each race for a while until I felt compelled to wade in and accuse this guy of being a dick and advising the other player to ignore him. He shut up after that, which was nice, though I'm probably kidding myself if I think it was I who so courageously saved the day.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Also, I had no idea how popular the term "faggot" was with Americans until I joined Xbox Live. They love that shit. I get "fuck you, you British faggot" pretty much every time I fire up Left 4 Dead.

Big Jack McBastard

There was some annoying tit pretending to be Welsh in a Halo Reach game I was in a little while back and desperately trying to convince everyone of it, thinking it was hilarious I'm guessing, the fact that he was laughing and he'd gone into that grey mock-Pakistani accent area it's so easy to fall into, just made him a chore.

He then vanished and took it upon himself to send a voice message of garbled nonsense to a few of the players, half laugh half stupid accent noise was all I got, so wrapped up in how 'funny' he was he lost the ability to communicate. Why he bothered I do not know.

Whoever thought giving a headset and a game of CoD to a twatty 10 year old was a good idea needs a kick in the arse. They've turned me off CoD multiplayer almost entirely as I spend a quarter of the match muting the seemingly never ending stream of squeals and "fuckfuckfuckniggerniggerniggerfaggotfaggot etc", Bar the odd Co-Op/Friends list game I've barely touched any of them, which is a shame as they can be quite satisfying.

Mister Six

I rarely bother with online gaming anyway, save the odd bit of Left 4 Dead 2 with friends (and the isometric Tomb Raider game, which is actually quite good. Sort of like Head over Heels with M-16s), because I find games a bit unsatisfying without a narrative. But isn't there a way to weed out/report the homophobic, racist little fucks? I remember hearing about an Xbox group called, I think, Gamers With Jobs. And don't you get to choose between different super-groups? I remember there being options for 'Casual', 'Hardcore', etc groups when I joined up to Xbox Live. I assumed that anyone choosing 'Casual' would be kept separate from all the prepubescent hatemongers. Or have they just infested the entire fucking system?

rudi

For the reasons given above, I've never gone online for a game. I can get that kind of abuse at home, thanks.

Treguard of Dunshelm

You guys know you can mute people, right?

I'm not much of an online gamer, mostly play Reach and don't find there's a lot of idiots there. I find it very hard to be offended by anything a moronic american teen whose balls are yet to drop says though, usually I'm pissing myself laughing at the twats.

AsparagusTrevor

I find it's worst mainly in team games, since one person's mistakes might affect the entire team. But there's no margin for error, no understanding that you might've been scratching your arse at the point you got killed, or maybe haven't spent 24 hours a day practicing like some.

I remember once back in the days of the original Unreal Tournament (which bizarrely was on Casualty this week) it started off fine and people had more respect for each other. Then as more people played it quickly descended into what it is now. I'd get grief if I was too good, I must've been cheating. If I wasn't that good, I was a noob.

I don't play online much outside of my mates any more, I've got a nice group of people who I can play hassle-free games of L4D2 with, don't take it too seriously and most importantly play for fun.

That's the thing some people seem to forget, games are primarily for fun. You can't get by in life by how many frags you got on 'Halo 7 - The Haloing'.

Selling Iron Maiden decals in Forza Motorsport 3 has led to all sorts of weird experiences for me. I've been continually harrassed by scammers, cheaters, would-be art dealers, obsessive Maiden fans, and even one entitled brat's mother who didn't understand how the game works and wouldn't take no for an answer. On the plus side I've had a fair few nice messages, made a couple of actual friends, and had a whole gang of people fighting my corner when I got ripped off. It's just a bloody game but it's amazing how seriously people take it. I could have blocked incoming messages to save on the irritation, but it was all too morbidly fascinating.

At one point this led to my being in a party chat with a bunch of American Dane Cook fans. They were not exactly easy to relate to, but one of them deserves mention. As far as I could tell he was actually gay, and dealing with the whole Xbox Live "faggot" thing by being more confrontational, rude, and abusive than anyone else out there, in a very suggestive way. Even his friendly banter was too much for me. Still, it must take balls to be openly gay in that environment and I bet the immature little turds don't know how to react to him either.

momatt

Once I was playing Bad Company (PS3) online and heard an American man screaming at his wife to leave him alone to play games and to get him some weed.  She was screaming back at him for not paying him for the last lot.  They were also random threats of violence and some really great swearing like something from The Wire.  I really couldn't believe it was real.
There was a baby crying in the background.  One for the bleak thread perhaps?

Also got an angry and threatening message from someone, after I kicked him out of my LittleBigPlanet game; which I found hilariously incongruous.

I've heard that generally, online PS3 is more polite than that on the XBox.  This a fair statement?

Computer games have always made me swear lots more than normal.  I remember my Mum threatening to take my Sega MegaDrive away, as it made me and my bro swear so vigorously.

From my (very limited) experience of multiplayer on the PS3, it seems the percentage of people using mics is far lower than on the 360, which of course in turn reduces the amount of screaming, white noise, aggression and abuse you receive down your headset.
Maybe this is because the official Sony bluetooth headsets are fantastically uncomfortable. Mind you, that could just be down to my incorrectly shaped ears.

Neil

That's a huge shame that people have been permanently put off from the thrilling pastime of online gaming.  Why not just take the headset out and turn off voice comms?

Online gaming in general is class, what's everyones first experience of it?  Think for me it was playing Quakeworld on a trip. Always loved the absolutely manic pace of Quake.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2010, 10:36:28 PM
That's a huge shame that people have been permanently put off from the thrilling pastime of online gaming.  Why not just take the headset out and turn off voice comms?

Would Rosa Parks have capitulated and just switched off comms if she was getting racial abuse whilst playing Call Of Duty: Black Op's online? I very much doubt it......

Seriously though, I know I should really give it a whirl again as I have got loads of games with online play that I've just not touched.

One game I have played online recently, which tries to do something different with some interesting concepts, is Demons Soul's on the PS3. It successfully blurs the line between the single player experience and online play. As you play through the single player game you can see the 'souls' of other players who are playing the game at the same time as you.

These players manifest themselves in the form of white ethereal spirits and they drift in and out of the game and their actions can sometimes give you clues and hints. When you get to end of level bad-guys you can also try to summon other players to help you in the battle if you are finding it too hard. Another nice touch is that once you have beaten one of the later bosses, if you hang around in his lair and another player enters to fight him, you can become the end of level boss and fight against the other player.

At certain points other players can also invade your game as a black phantom and try to kill you, this works the other way as well and you can try to do the same to other players. It gets really tense when you are alerted to your game being invaded by a black phantom, you don't see them straight away and they are usually lurking in a corridor nearby waiting to strike. However it's not something that happens that often in the game so it doesn't get boring or annoying. The penalties for being unsuccessful when you invade another players game are pretty harsh, you drop a level and lose all the related improvements to your stats. This stops people going overboard and spamming the pvp aspect of the game, because if you get killed a couple of times doing it you will lose hours worth of gameplay.

Also there are no audio comms on the game at all. The only way you can communicate with other people in game is through a series of basic commands and signals through your character. It's restrictive but it helps maintain the atmosphere which is important to the game

Rev

A different kind of gaming, admittedly, but online poker is ridiculous for this sort of thing.  It's all text-based, of course, which just makes it worse; when you've got actual money on the line, concentrating on the game should perhaps be more of a priority that hammering out paragraphs about how the person who's just beaten you is a fucking faggot donk.

I recently had someone stick around for two and a half hours after I knocked them out of a cheap tournament, hurling abuse at me the whole time, even though they were no longer playing.  I couldn't help but admire the dedication.

Zetetic

It seems to really vary between communities. My limited experience with consoles tends to indicate that almost every console FPS MP community is terrible, whilst it's not as bad on the PC.

I've never had any real problems on PC myself. The odd person in L4D(2) calling everyone else noobs, but that's generally amusing enough as their frustration builds much to the amusement of everyone else. (If I'm honest, a small degree of gentle piss-taking helps greatly.) I haven't had a great deal of trouble with strategy games (Men of War, Civ 5) - even when I'm clearly on a losing team (and even when it's clearly at least partly my fault), there's a fairly decent degree of civility.

All this is probably terribly variable - I've heard horrible things about the Red Orchestra community (which, as its an entirely MP game with a massively steep learning curve is a shame) and the more well-known RTS games (Company of Heroes).

One thing I will always do if there's a lobby system, is enter with a 'Hello all'. Horribly false and over-friendly perhaps, but if I don't get a smattering of 'Hello's back then I'll tend to clear out.

Oh, and as others have mentioned - find groups. I keep meaning to play more with RPS readers, since there's a much greater chance that they won't be a bunch of cunts. (And RPS does organize events, but mainly for games I don't have, grrr...)

Still Not George

The last online gaming I genuinely enjoyed was Battlefield 2142 on the PC, which for some reason had a vastly better crowd than the rest of the Battlefield games. Console-wise, the TF2 players became suddenly and noticeably better after the Next Big Thing came out, although they remain elitist fuckwads, much like L4D players on console and PC alike.

I think the ideal time for any online game is shortly after a Halo or Call Of Duty comes out. Weeds out the morons very effectively.

Zetetic

TF2's certainly a game where it's worth trying to find reasonable people to play with.

madhair60

Quote from: Zetetic on November 19, 2010, 03:57:06 PM
TF2's certainly a game where it's worth trying to find reasonable people to play with.

TF2's the only game I play with strangers.  L4D and Gmod I play with friends, or not at all.

VegaLA

Experiences with 'CounterStrike' on the XBox when I first got my Live sub and then 'Halo 2' made me very thankfull that the 360 allowed you to mute everyone not on your friends list. A complete Godesend for some games, although I still found one kids comment that he was running around 'Black Rainbow' game with my Mum's dick in his mouth. Lovely.
With a decent number of Friends on your list and a hot new title or shared interest in a particular game you need never listen to those twats ever again.

ThickAndCreamy

TF2 is fantastic for good people, in that there's barely the problem of other online shooters on the PC, where people endlessly moan about losing, n00bs and speak in geek talk essentially. In TF2 if you lose it's still normally a lot of fun, if you win it's a lot of fun. You don't rank up, you just have fun. You can play for hours and hours and as a reward you could probably have enough good weapons and hats to buy a funny hat and maybe even paint it white. The whole game revolves around teamwork and frantically pissing about. I play the game on mute though to listen to music, so I rarely notice the people talking, just on chat everyone is friendly enough. When I used to actually listen to the volume a few people tended to be irritating, but overall it was positive, humorous stuff.

This is why TF2 is the best online FPS ever made on the PC.

madhair60

TF2 converted me to the whole CTF/deathmatch style of online game.  Just focused on fun, and you can adapt your play style for at least one of the classes.  Currently, I'm a mean ol' Spy, and having recently unlocked the Cloak and Dagger, it's entirely changed my approach to the game.

I used to love playing SF4 online because of the hate I'd receive simply for playing as Ken, despite my almost SRK-free style of play.

'fuk u fuken n00b faggt'

'Thanks very much for the game. I think I can learn a lot from you. I guess Street Fighter 4 is easy for a beginner to pick up and win. I must have got lucky!'

Subtext: It's really, really not and I really, really wasn't.

glitch

I think I might be a dickhead :( I had way too much fun laughing in the post-game lobby of a COD:BO team DM game, after the enemy team lost to just me and one other guy.

El Unicornio, mang

I remember playing Return to Wolfenstein online and had someone on my team saying "fuck off n00b" because I wasn't very good, so I basically spent the next hour just following him around and killing him, which got him in a right lather.

Big Jack McBastard

I also find myself forming mini vendettas[nb]potential confectionery name there[/nb] when some loudmouth turns up, making special point to go out of my way to set traps for them, targeting them above other players, or if it's a shooter sniping them ruthlessly at spawn points just to make their game as shit as possible.

I can't stand smug people in online games as well, the type who sit and obsessively play the same racer over and over until they're got all the best cars and know the tracks like the back of their hands and then mouth off about how they're a dead cert. I take no small amount of glee in ballsing up their plans when I can.

I have no problem with you if you're good at a given game, or pull off an upset (you're alright with that one glitch), but being an asshole about winning inevitably makes you a target, worst of all are the ones who just idly mention their impeding win and don't even feel the need to gloat anymore, those fuckers annoy the living piss out of me.

Famous Mortimer

Every now and again, I'll drop lucky online (like a game of the last Need for Speed, where there were a group of people of roughly the same skill, so wins went back-and-forth for ages) but way too often it's some cock-end who'll just beat you over and over and it means that this time, XBox Live won't be getting a penny of my money. The sort of people who get really good at games for this sole purpose are why.

BF2142. "Get the fuck out of my attack chopper!".

Er, no. There are two seats. It's not even as if you wanted your friend in it. Well, I've nothing better to do than sit in the co-pilot seat for the next half an hour, watching you in a rage flying upside down into hills.