Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deus Ex

Started by uglybob1986, November 19, 2010, 01:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on September 11, 2011, 08:51:38 PM
I never used the Typhoon aug effectively even once.

The trick with Yelena I found was to circle the outside of the room to lure her out and then go backwards and fire, on occasion she'd slam into a wall with electrical gubbins built in and zap herself daft making for a few easy hits. Also having a couple of EMP grenades/mines was handy to slow her down/stop her shooting.
Typhoon works a treat on her, and for grins you can save your game, walk into the middle of a large group of people and mince them up good with it, then reload if you're trying to be nice.

Famous Mortimer

And, of course, there's not a single other moment the entire rest of the game where you need to use your Typhoon. Balls.

I just finished it this morning, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went for option 3 (
Spoiler alert
where you blow up the base, yourself included
[close]
) and I shed a little tear at the ending montage, cos I'm a soppy chuff. Anyway, I was thinking of waiting for the DLC but I can't be bothered, so to eBay I go. If I'm desperate to play the DLC I'll just borrow it off a mate down the line.

Big Jack McBastard

The ending choices, or rather the way in which you're presented with them is, in my opinion,
Spoiler alert
a load of old shite.
[close]

Spoiler alert
There should be events earlier in the game (beyond simply not visiting the 'heads' of the rival groups in the last mission) which preclude the ability to take some of the options on offer rather than just having them all on a plate with no resistance from any group keeping you from them.
[close]

I did like the cheeky post credits bit and the music for the first game kicking in though.

Famous Mortimer

I searched and searched for
Spoiler alert
Sarif
[close]
at the end but couldn't find him anywhere, so went on to the last battle with having missed that bit. Not sure if that altered the end of it, but no mind.

Big Jack McBastard

I thought he was the easier of the two to find personally, I almost gave up on finding
Spoiler alert
Taggart
[close]
until I snapped and read a small blurb online giving his rough location.

Did you get 4 options?

I think my main gripe is the fact that
Spoiler alert
you can just reload from a save in that last room and see all of them in short order
[close]
, hell even the second game forced you into fights with the last of the resistance from each group if you turned on them, usually double hard bastards too. I remember being quite frustrated by the Templars bunker being so heavily guarded they kept me at bay and even took me out quite a few times while trying to beast their collective rat. I sort of missed that.

I think I'm reinstalling the first one again now... Gawd I'm predictable.

Famous Mortimer

Ah, I only got three. There must be one which is activated by seeing
Spoiler alert
Sarif
[close]
that I didn't get. I went round that last level and took a long time taking out all the crazy people as politely as possible until I got bored and started shooting them, just to get them out of my way so I could find the last bloke.

Shuggie

I think meeting sarif unlocks the additional option, interestingly I did this and killed him as I've disliked him all through the game and still got the fourth choice.

jutl

I finished this last night and I'm not sure it was that good. It kept me playing, but the environments were very samey and the plotting fairly tedious. Also, it was just too fucking yellow.

Zetetic

Well, it has guns and is set in the near future.

Zetetic

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on September 17, 2011, 05:50:17 PM
I think my main gripe is the fact that
Spoiler alert
you can just reload from a save in that last room and see all of them in short order
[close]
On the other hand, I'm too lazy to even do that. YouTube I suppose.

Edit: If you haven't watched the
Spoiler alert
Taggart/Edit the Video
[close]
ending, do so. It's got an absolutely cracking gag in it, possibly unintentionally.

Also, isn't the Darrow ending, the real "Let humanity sort it out amongst themselves" one, as it's the one which provides the outside world with the truth of what occurred? Taking the self-destruct ending isn't avoiding spinning the story, it's very explicitly spinning it by working to conceal the events.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Zetetic on September 30, 2011, 11:37:29 AM
On the other hand, I'm too lazy to even do that. YouTube I suppose.

Edit: If you haven't watched the
Spoiler alert
Taggart/Edit the Video
[close]
ending, do so. It's got an absolutely cracking gag in it, possibly unintentionally.

The ending is gash isn't it? With it's big buttons and library footage. It feels really cheap.
And the voice over was too tedious to pay attention to.
And as Yahtzee pointed out, there isn't a moral choice of any interest. Or if there is an interesting question, they completely fail to make it in the game.
I suppose that could just be my perspective as a software engineer/geek. A luddite might find it a bit more of an interesting question.

But you know... video game.

Zetetic

I think that the lack of interactivity of the ending is disappointing as a game player. Or rather, as you point out, how it's reduced to hitting one button or another on a keyboard.

I thought the videos weren't bad at all, and that each one made it fairly clear that the particular choice that you made involved, at worst, blinding yourself to one argument or another. I don't have a problem with the library footage in itself. And while the recycling of footage from one video to the next may have been down to production values (and, logically perhaps, down to the story), I thought it was interesting as an illustration of how different viewpoints can be drawn from (or less optimistically, forced upon) similar experiences.

It doesn't bring out the questions - of control and the mixed blessings of technology (particularly as it increasingly applies to ourselves) - as well as it should have done in the playing of the game. It's far from totally absent - and furthermore whether or not "lethal or non-lethal" (associated with the very ability to decide that) was a moral choice for the player, in the absence of any in-game consequences for the avatar, is (I think) a non-trivial question.

MojoJojo

I suppose if I'd found the monologue more interesting I might have found the library footage more meaningful. Only watched one ending so didn't realise it was somewhat reused.

Actually, one bit near the end which was good was where
Spoiler alert
the final "convince" segment with Darrow, where I tried to use the pheromones of the social enhancer, with the irony of that in the back of my mind, and Darrow told me I was a sociopath and had proved his point. Which was entirely correct and a bit more interesting than whether installing convenient kebab skewers into your forearms is a bad thing.[/quote]

I was a bit bored of the game by the ending is probably the problem. At the beginning every upgrade really counts, but by the end it didn't matter. It's a shame they dropped the first game's system where each augmentation meant you couldn't have something else. e.g. if you chose damage resistance in your skin slot, you couldn't put invisibility in there - I'm amazed I remember that detail despite not even completing the first game around 10 years ago.
After a few breaks forced by real life, I'd really stopped caring by the end.
[close]