Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deus Ex

Started by uglybob1986, November 19, 2010, 01:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glitch

chand

Just started this. For a souped-up augmented badass cyberwarrior, my dude sure gets tired out punching people from behind. Bless. I reckon even I could summon the strength to knock out two guys in a row, and I've got a bad back and a freakin' heart condition.

samadriel

I guess this is why there's a a "KO two guys at once" aug; strikes me as putting the cart before the horse a bit.

Famous Mortimer

I've just got to the very first boss fight. I hate boss fights. I tried about ten times, and am now going to have a cup of tea and read a book for a bit, so I don't throw my controller through the screen. I'm sure there'll be a really easy way of doing it, which I'll discover on my next try, but for now damn.

There are some nice deep references in this game though. One of the police computers has the username "hellison" (after science fiction author Harlan Ellison) and the password is "cordwainer", which was one of his pseudonyms (Cordwainer Bird). There's a jballard with a password solempire (JG Ballard, "Empire of the Sun"), rdeckard and "unicorn"...and someone with the password "fuckface" - a friend of the programmers, maybe.

Space ghost

A general hint for that bit but I spoiler tagged it in case you dont want to look

Spoiler alert
Check about for objects that explode, pile them all together lure him close and 'splode them, possibly with a remote detonated mine for extra kudos
[close]

uglybob1986

Also,
Spoiler alert
EMP grenades will shut down his minigun for a bit
[close]

Zetetic

Also,
Spoiler alert
there are gas canisters about the place that you can chuck at the git.
[close]

glitch

Also,
Spoiler alert
he's really stupid, so you can go into cover and then keep darting to the next bit until you're behind him before he realises you're not there. Throw EMP/concussion grenade, fire at his head until your clip empties, repeat
[close]

Famous Mortimer

I did it the special way. I threw a couple of the special remote-detonation grenades at him, then hid for a bit until he forgot I was there. Then I moved the two gas canisters into roughly the same place, and the daft bastard blew himself up while I was getting supplies in a corner. Yay!

Good fucking christ that was tremendous.

I had high, if measured, hopes, but that just blew them all out the water. Is it as good as the first one? Nah. But it's close, and that's an incredible thing.

Problems? The boss battles were probably the main one, mostly because the game doesn't really give you any option other than just to beat them with pure firepower. Deus Ex often allowed you to circumvent the more difficult boss fights (
Spoiler alert
eg. Gunther's killcode
[close]
) whereas this one never made you fight too hard until suddenly you've got to take on a guy who can kill you in one shot - the last of the augment bosses is just ridiculous.

Also, a lot of the choices you make throughout the game that feel like they're going to lead somewhere simply don't, which is a bit disappointing. So many pieces of intel found in ebooks and poc-sec's, but none of them ever really come up in-game. For example,
Spoiler alert
you gather more than enough evidence to prove Taggart is involved with terrorist activity but then when you're asked about it you say there's no hard evidence. Also, when you get the option to plant the recording of Sandoval on his computer at the convention center, nothing comes from it.. what was point?
[close]

Post-credit sequence also very exciting.
Spoiler alert
Remake or sequel?
[close]
Hopefully the latter, although based on this I wouldn't be against the former.

Big Jack McBastard

These made me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtNHRYJnrU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU&feature=player_embedded

Just back in China for the second time, must play it through as a total dick next time as I'm being too nice on this run.

MojoJojo

Quote from: uglybob1986 on September 01, 2011, 03:33:57 PM
Also,
Spoiler alert
EMP grenades will shut down his minigun for a bit
[close]

Spoiler alert
The stun gun will too
[close]

Famous Mortimer

I found a PEPS in a garage in Hengsha (or whatever it's called), so I'm looking forward to using that on someone - although chances are it won't do a thing to a boss.

ThickAndCreamy

I played this for about 10 hours yesterday, something I haven't done in many, many years for a game. Then a virus took hold of my PC, and I've had to reformat the hard drive and lose everything on it. Oddly, it was this save game that annoyed me the most[nb]I had most precious documents, nearly all my music and videos backed up though[/nb] as I've now got to start again and re-install.

Just wondering, is anyone playing this through without being stealthy? Are there a lot more negatives?

chand

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on September 05, 2011, 01:49:55 PMJust wondering, is anyone playing this through without being stealthy? Are there a lot more negatives?

I can't imagine it being easy to play going all guns blazing. The combat rifle is a decent enough weapon the one time I got bored and started blasting fools, but the enemies drop such tiny amounts of ammo (about 3 bullets per guy) it seems like it'd be a ballache.

MojoJojo

Yeah, the easy option definitely seems to be a mixture of the two - stealth through most of it except for the few really tricky bits where you blast a few people away. The experience system reflects this - if you kill everyone you get lots of experience from killing everyone, if you play it sneakily you get the Ghost/Smooth operator bonuses. Play the combination you get neither.

Didn't find the first boss battle that bad, although I guess I was prepared for it since everyone has mentioned it. What I found most annoying was the way physical combat was disabled. I'd stunned the sod so why wasn't I allowed to shove a sword through his neck? But overall there was just enough different things you could do to him to keep it interesting (shoot, stun, gas, concuss) to keep it interesting.

For the game overall - Jensen's voice is OTT. The same with his takedown moves. I realise they wanted something cool looking for the trailers, but they just look a bit silly. A bit hard to believe they are stealthy.
Oh, and is there any practical benefit to killing people with a takedown rather than stunning them? I suppose no one can wake them up, but if you're worried about someone finding the body you're not doing it right.
The HUD's a bit rubbish, it should only show objectives for your active mission. Or am I missing something - don't know what changing your active mission actually does anyway.
Same nonsensical stuff these games always seem to have - no one in the police station seemed to care I was climbing out of an airvent in their office. But it was interesting when I failed to hack a computer - all the policemen became "alarmed" and started pointing guns in my direction. Don't know if they would have tried to shoot me if they could see me, but they all calmed down after a bit and wouldn't spare me a second glance.
Jensen's coat is stupid.

MojoJojo

Oh, regarding combat - I have loads of ammo for the pistol (I've dumped ammo for it twice, and still have 50 rounds), so maybe it would be doable if you stuck to that for the most part. Modern FPSs don't really force a saving good ammo for hard battles thing in the same way older games did.

But I haven't actually tried it.

(oh and only the first energy cell recharging - it's not really a problem for takedowns since it recharges quite quickly. But it would be really overpowered (and boring) if they all recharged. You could use that invisibility aug to jump from one hiding place to the next, and then just sit their while it recharged. Very little challenge and very boring. So good it's possible.

MojoJojo

I'm currently annoyed because I accidentally sold my Stun Gun and there is no buy back option and no one seems to actually sell them. Just when I'd found someone who sold ammo for it too.
About to break into the police armoury in the hope they have one.

tony peanuts

There are several stun guns littered around the game though -- I think there's one in Jensen's apartment. 

Famous Mortimer

I've just come across the second boss, Yelena. Now, the game has thus far encouraged me to pick augs for the way I wanted to play the game - so I went stealthy, ignoring the combat-oriented ones. Then I encountered Yelena, and promptly died the first 20 times.

So I went online to check to see how other people had beat her. "Oh, it's easy!" they say. "Just use your Typhoon aug and she'll be dead within minutes". The Typhoon aug I don't have, you mean? "Oh, it's a piece of cake,", they say. "Just use your shotgun with all the addons, and you'll breeze through her". The shotgun I don't carry because I was aiming for a stealth character, you mean? I tried stunning her with the PEPS and then hammering her with heavy rifle fire (picked up in the room immediately preceding her), but it took so long to rev up that she was on me and I was dead before I could get a single shot off. Can't hand-to-hand with her as she immediately parries it, no matter how stunned she is...

The boss fights just don't fit. I'm grumpy (because I suck at boss fights).

EDIT: Result! I went back to an older saved game, picked different augs, and set the difficulty level to easy, just for that fight.

Little Hoover

I've heard mixed things about how you spread your points. I hear it's better to go one way or the other so either go for a stealthy character or a powerful with guns, and that trying to have a balanced character won't work. Can I take it then that you shouldn't be too neglectful of other attributes even if you are focusing on specific abilities.

Famous Mortimer

I'm maybe being a little unkind (and because I'm no good at these games, take my opinion with a pinch of salt) but provided you check the cupboards and find the secret areas, by about halfway through the game you should have all the augs you need so can spend some after that on stuff that doesn't match your character build.

Big Jack McBastard

I just made sure I always had enough space in my inventory to carry a loaded rocket launcher and 2 spare rounds. That usually minced the gizzards of anything genuinely troublesome, although I did finish off the last boss guy with a cheeky, very lucky, distance shot with the laser rifle when my health was on it's arse.

I never used the Typhoon aug effectively even once.

The trick with Yelena I found was to circle the outside of the room to lure her out and then go backwards and fire, on occasion she'd slam into a wall with electrical gubbins built in and zap herself daft making for a few easy hits. Also having a couple of EMP grenades/mines was handy to slow her down/stop her shooting.

MojoJojo

I'm just keeping at least 2 praxis kits free with the hope that will be enough for any bosses I run into too.
Did have an annoying moment when
Spoiler alert
got ambushed in the garden pods, and the hacker bloke asked me for a gun... I wanted to give him one, but apparently only lethal weapons count, which would have meant my pistol. I've put every upgrade I have found on that pistol, so I wasn't giving that away. Would have been happy to give him the PEPS gun though.
[close]

So I got my stun gun back after I went to china, found a vendor and he had one to sell. That vendor is now unavailable, and I have some shit to sell, is there anywhere else in china to go? I don't mind the limited inventory, but I don't want to just drop stuff because I can't find anyone to sell it too.

Big Jack McBastard

I take it you mean the guy in the shag hotel? 'Hidden' behind the wall? Killing him ain't the wisest of moves, he's semi handy for selling stuff to later when the pigs go on the alert.

There is also a seller who deals out of a storage unit can't remember exactly where but it's street level (he has another locked storage unit nearby and will turn hostile if you try and open it) but I think he only opens up during the second trip.

There's another seller in the sewer on one of the routes out of Tong's base but I *think* you have to break in to his underground parking garage/base first in order to access him.

That's all I can recall.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on September 11, 2011, 10:38:19 PM
I take it you mean the guy in the shag hotel? 'Hidden' behind the wall? Killing him ain't the wisest of moves, he's semi handy for selling stuff to later when the pigs go on the alert.

Uhhh, no, I did overhear a conversation between some civilians about a guy in the love hotel, but after searching around for ages didn't find him. I mean the guy in the garden pods area, with all the little beds in pods. I didn't kill him but
Spoiler alert
after nicking the security card off the employee in the brothel and returning it to the hacker, loads of guys turned up and I had to escape the ambush.
[close]
Guess I need to find the guy in the shag hotel, his hiding behind a wall has worked well on me. Hopefully I haven't pissed him off already by trying to break into his lock up...

I barely managed to remember that
Spoiler alert
the prostitute you get missions from in the brothel, Maggie Chow (??? I think that's right) is a major leader in Deus Ex, leader of the triads or something. You fuck up her shit in that game.
[close]

Big Jack McBastard

The lock-up guy is a different one, I'm pretty sure he pops up later, though I might have just missed him on my first run through.

The love hotel buyer/seller is on the ground floor, there's a panel on left hand wall in the 'reception' area.

MojoJojo

Aw crap, does he have a security camera covering him and a hidden entrance/exit behind him? That entrance was the first way I found in, and because of the camera I thought I wasn't supposed to be there and stunned him.

Poop. That was hours ago now.

Big Jack McBastard

QuoteAw crap, does he have a security camera covering him and a hidden entrance/exit behind him?

Yup.

QuoteThat entrance was the first way I found in, and because of the camera I thought I wasn't supposed to be there and stunned him.

D'oh!

Best way to test cameras is to very briefly pop up in front of them and then go back to cover, some are benign but the alarmed ones will soon let you know if they consider you hostile.

samadriel

Those boss fights are absolute bullshit, a betrayal of the supposed ability to play the game the way you want.  Console players I can't help, but PC players wanting to crash through those fights can use the 'Debug mod' ( http://www.gamefront.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-debug-mod/ ) to mess with all sorts of variables, including giving yourself, say, infinite health