Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:37:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

LA Noire

Started by El Unicornio, mang, November 19, 2010, 06:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted-Maul

Looks like an excuse to put a load more film clichés into a computer game.

Zero Gravitas

Yeah, fuck art that deals in recombination of elements from popular culture!

Ted-Maul

I'm not saying get rid of pop culture elements, im just saying you are allowed to add your own ideas into a game sometimes aswell. A bit of originality wouldn't go amiss.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ted-Maul on November 24, 2010, 12:20:14 PM
I'm not saying get rid of pop culture elements, im just saying you are allowed to add your own ideas into a game sometimes aswell. A bit of originality wouldn't go amiss.

Well the biggest influences on this game come from the printed word – Chandler, Ellroy etc. Maybe they shouldn't have made a movie of LA Confidential either?

bitesize

maybe wait until it's out and you've actually played it before declaring that it's got no originality? judging the entire game on the strength of its first trailer is a bit daft, no?

Ted-Maul

Quote from: bitesize on November 24, 2010, 12:37:37 PM
maybe wait until it's out and you've actually played it before declaring that it's got no originality?

Yes. I admit I have no idea what this game is going to be like. But having seen Rockstars previous work, I was assuming it's gonna involve inserting certain scenes from popular films of the same genre into the game. Is it just a coincidence that the game is similar to a popular movie?

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 24, 2010, 12:25:02 PM
Well the biggest influences on this game come from the printed word – Chandler, Ellroy etc.

Great! I'd say there's more of a game/movie crossover than a game/book crossover; meaning most people who play games will be more familiar with films of a certain genre than the books. So something new will be brought to the table for most players (me included). But still, they are in a position to create new ideas/concepts for millions of gamers to interact with. We've all seen LA Confidential and The Untouchables. Give us something new and different.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 19, 2010, 06:48:32 PM
...Looks very LA Confidential
Aye – and your character, according to a few articles, is a war hero and media darling who harbours a secret...

Quote from: Ted-Maul on November 24, 2010, 03:26:17 PM
...We've all seen LA Confidential and The Untouchables. Give us something new and different.
In terms of gaming, I would say this is.

I genuinely can't think of a noir-style cop computer game - the closest I can think of is Contact Sam Cruise on the Spectrum but in that you were a private eye and that was going to be a rather different type of game.

La Noire is meant to be a fairly-old school game with GTA action elements – so arguably, it's not the setting or the narrative that's been done to death in games, but the design.

Looking at various reader comments on various articles about the game, I think some are going to be in for a shock as quite a few people are expecting GTA with a police badge etc. Comments such as"I like killing and torturing innocent npcs, do not disappoint :D" look like they're in for a shock.

Jemble Fred

No, it's not a sandbox game at all – every case is quite tightly scripted. Course, they can go off in all directions, and you can choose the order you take them on, and revisit them etc – but it's more of a Choose Your Own Adventure than a GTA.

knight123

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 25, 2010, 10:44:27 AM
Aye – and your character, according to a few articles, is a war hero and media darling who harbours a secret...
In terms of gaming, I would say this is.

I genuinely can't think of a noir-style cop computer game - the closest I can think of is Contact Sam Cruise on the Spectrum but in that you were a private eye and that was going to be a rather different type of game.

La Noire is meant to be a fairly-old school game with GTA action elements – so arguably, it's not the setting or the narrative that's been done to death in games, but the design.

Looking at various reader comments on various articles about the game, I think some are going to be in for a shock as quite a few people are expecting GTA with a police badge etc. Comments such as"I like killing and torturing innocent npcs, do not disappoint :D" look like they're in for a shock.

knight123

In response to the above, what about heavy rain and max payne?

glitch

Or the Bladerunner PC game?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: knight123 on November 25, 2010, 10:51:52 AM
In response to the above, what about heavy rain and max payne?
Sorry, I meant in a 1930s-40s setting - as per the influences that Ted Maul mentioned.

I haven't played Heavy Rain, but that struck me as modern period (which I could be wrong about) so that didn't spring to mind. Although the narrative in Max Payne has noir elements, the game itself is a third-person shooter.

The Masked Unit

New video about the mocap technology being used in the game. Uncanny Valley in effect but looks amazing.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/la-noire-see-the-ground-breaking-technology-behind-the-game/a-2010121615271929024

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The facial animation is astounding, but the heads seem to be awkwardly pasted onto the rest of the model, which undermines the realism a bit.

Quote from: The Masked Unit on December 16, 2010, 10:01:27 PM
New video about the mocap technology being used in the game. Uncanny Valley in effect but looks amazing.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/la-noire-see-the-ground-breaking-technology-behind-the-game/a-2010121615271929024

It's the future!

....Except the skin textures look very flat and lifeless.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 16, 2010, 11:30:19 PM
The facial animation is astounding, but the heads seem to be awkwardly pasted onto the rest of the model, which undermines the realism a bit.

Yus. Separating facial acting from the physical acting has left looking a bit wobbly and disconnected. And bollocks to the bloke who says that animation can't capture the subtleties of mo-cap.

Do we have anymore on the gameplay? We know it's going to be more linear and story-orientated, but that's it I think.

Lt Plonker

LA Noire Orientation Gameplay Trailer [HD] - Pixel Enemy

Gameplay trailer! Looks sublime. I love the idea of working your way up through the ranks.

Neomod

Yeah I like that novel way of setting out the levels.

I take/hope it will have a Black Dahlia type case. They'd be foolish to pass that up. Then again is it an 18?

Consignia

Cor, this game has been under my radar, but I just watched that trailer. Cheesy voice-over aside, it looks right up my alley.

Fry

Will it be worth waiting for a PC release, do you all think?

biggytitbo

This is exactly the sort of thing I want games to be doing...no more space soldiers please!

Big Jack McBastard

Hmm looks alright, nice to see the facial animations getting a bit more attention. I fear for it's replay value but provided it's got some meat on it's bones and some DLC gets knocked up I will very likely dip in.

Lt Plonker

New trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL54LNSa-cQ

Really, really looking forward to this.

chumfatty

Is that the mind reading guy from Heroes at around 2:19 being asked about an affair?

This game looks awesome, the Detective Storyline is something widely underused in the gaming industry, I hope this brings out more games of the same ilk. There were elements in Heavy Rain ,but they were too linear and True Crime never lived up to its potential although I still enjoyed the NYC one.

Christ, the facial animation is just incredible. I haven't played a game on my PS3 except for Battlefield 1943 but this might be an exception.

Neomod

There's another Mad Men cast member in that trailer.

I wonder how flexible this is going to be. I'm guessing even if you are really crap at the questions there will still be ways to progress the investigations.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Neomod on March 10, 2011, 02:10:55 PM
There's another Mad Men cast member in that trailer.
I think I saw two. There was the standup comic bloke that Don punched and I think I saw Paul Kinsey too.

Quote from: Neomod on March 10, 2011, 02:10:55 PM
I wonder how flexible this is going to be. I'm guessing even if you are really crap at the questions there will still be ways to progress the investigations.
If the facial expressions are as central to the gameplay as they say, I hope the actors are all going to be good enough. Also, it's presumably going to be very difficult for folk with Asbergers Syndrome.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 10, 2011, 04:16:09 PM
Also, it's presumably going to be very difficult for folk with Asbergers Syndrome.

If anything, it'll just prove that Aspergers Syndrome is completely made up.