Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

LA Noire

Started by El Unicornio, mang, November 19, 2010, 06:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spanky

Quote from: Neomod on March 10, 2011, 02:10:55 PM
There's another Mad Men cast member in that trailer.

I wonder how flexible this is going to be. I'm guessing even if you are really crap at the questions there will still be ways to progress the investigations.

There's a CVG (I think) preview that says there's a bit too much hand-holding, although it mentions that it's a very early case so hopefully it's more the game easing you in.

Lt Plonker

I enjoy bumping this thread.

NEW (story-based) TRAILER!

L.A. Noire Official Trailer 3

Plus, a list of Achievements & Trophies to wet your appetite.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: spanky on March 11, 2011, 09:28:35 AM
There's a CVG (I think) preview that says there's a bit too much hand-holding, although it mentions that it's a very early case so hopefully it's more the game easing you in.

Yeah, that's a worry I have. Musical chords to let you know if you've collected all the evidence? Control-pad vibrating to guide you to the sweet spot of a piece of evidence? You wouldn't get that in a Laura Bow mystery!

Slaaaaabs

The cast is easily HBO miniseries level so I'm sold on the story aspect of it, I just really hope the gameplay can match it. I'm reading a lot of "everything that isn't the faces looks bad" nonsense elsewhere, but I would take that facial capture over super detailed woodgrain on the table any day of the week.

Lt Plonker

New Trailer!

L.A. Noire Gameplay Series: "Rising Through the Ranks"

Little hints about side-missions there. I'm intrigued by the idea that there are multiple routes through each case depending on how skilful/incompetent you are. Still so many cut-scenes though.

hoverdonkey

Charlie Brooker likes it. I have to say I'm getting quite excited by this. He said it's a game you can play with other in the room and they will get involved, which is ace. My wife hasn't been interested in a game I've played since Deus Ex.

CaledonianGonzo

The James Ellroy freak in me really wanst to play this - and I'm not even a gamer...!

A.A

Brooker also called it the triumphant return of the adventure game.

And I do like my (good) adventure games.

Still Not George

Quote from: A.A on May 18, 2011, 12:35:15 PM
Brooker also called it the triumphant return of the adventure game.

And I do like my (good) adventure games.

Likewise. He mentioned it's got the feel of a point'n'click adventure, which made my ancient gamer heart soar.

Wasn't this going to be a PS3 exclusive? What happened?

hoverdonkey

It was. Dunno why not now, but it's the first time I've chosen a PS3 version over the 360 in the short time I've had both machines because I assume it was built for PS3 from the start. Not that there's any difference between the two, I'm sure.

spanky

PS3 was lead platform, but the main difference appears to be that it's on one disc for PS3 as opposed to three on 360. Aside from that it's the kind of differences you'd need them both side-by-side to tell.

chand

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 18, 2011, 04:03:23 PM
Wasn't this going to be a PS3 exclusive? What happened?

I thought that was 'Agent'?

Actually, it's a bit confusing; I read one story that the Team Bondi-made LA Noire was initially going to be a Sony exclusive (Team Bondi is headed up by the guy responsible for The Getaway), but that it was delayed for so long Sony dropped it, and then Rockstar picked it up. Because Sony had sunk a rumoured $20m into the fledgling LA Noire, it's suggested that Rockstar, instead of potentially having to compensate Sony for LAN once it was made, agreed to grant them an exclusive, which is Agent.

Fuck knows what the deal is with Agent, it was announced in mid-2009 and there's barely been a peep about it since. There's this: http://www.rockstargames.com/agent/

Neomod

It was featured tonight on ver culture show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011ckqj

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Why would they get Kermode to review a video game?

gmoney

They seem to be going with the 'is it as good as a film' angle everywhere at the moment. Mark Lawson reviewed it on Front Row.

HappyTree

Walter from Fringe is in it. Sold!

hoverdonkey

I'm hoping you can turn off the rumble feature when you near a piece of evidence.

hoverdonkey

'Hello, I reserved a copy of LA Noire but I couldn't see it on the shelves.'
'LA what?'
'LA Noire. For the PS3.'
'Sorry, LA what?'
'Noire'
'Oh, LA Noyer.'
'Yes, that's the one.'

mook

me too. although one of the first detectives you meet has eyes a little to much like that goggly eyed old feller from laurel and hardy movies for my liking.

Spoiler alert
ok, i'm about 5 minutes into the game and all i want to do is shoot my partner in the face with the gun i found on top of the building at the first crime scene. he really is i whiny little bitch.
[close]

Neomod

Definately going to get this on the way home. The Girlfriend's away so a beer (x3), a chinese (meal) and some LA Noire.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Neomod on May 20, 2011, 01:26:57 PM
Definately going to get this on the way home. The Girlfriend's away so a beer (x3), a chinese (meal) and some LA Noire.

Think you may have missed an activity off there?

hoverdonkey

Some European jazz perhaps?

Neomod

Quote from: Johnny Textface on May 20, 2011, 03:40:27 PM
Think you may have missed an activity off there?

Girlfriend's back tomorrow so that'll be x3 to a soundtrack of 'European Jazz'[nb]Eh readers!![/nb]

Viero_Berlotti

Only 3 beers as well. What are you a poofter or somethink???

Neomod

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on May 20, 2011, 04:53:49 PM
Only 3 beers as well. What are you a poofter or somethink???

I've checked on the sheet of instructions left for me and that's all I'm allowed.

I'll show her. I'll get a tin of Jack Daniels and coke too!![nb]but I won't drink it[/nb]

Cold Meat Platter

I bought this in HMV today for PS3 and when I took it to the counter the assistant said, "oh that comes with a free blu-ray of L.A. Confidential and a free gun!"
I am saddened to say that it was not a real gun.
The game, however, is excellent so far and I fear the facial capture animation may have ruined me for other conversation-heavy games.
It also reminds me of Shenmue in certain ways like the pacing and object manipulation.
Also: atmosphere in spades.

mook

i'm not that sure if i like this game as much as i first thought. admittedly i've only played it for a couple of hours, but it hasn't gripped me straight away like red dead redemption did - i'm sure as i get further on it will grow on me more as the story unfolds, but at the moment it just seems to lack a bit of fun, or sense of humour.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I like it. Looking forward to getting over the introduction mode which inevitably drags on a bit.

I have high hopes for the hard bop soundtrack too.