Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

LA Noire

Started by El Unicornio, mang, November 19, 2010, 06:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

I'm stuck between a chair and a plant in the coroner's office. Any help would be appreciated.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I'm enjoying it but the sense that my actions don't have any real effect on the outcome of the case takes away some enjoyment. You get the questions wrong and then just either go back again and remember the correct sequence like some pair matching puzzle or just barrel on through and it sorts its self at the end anyway. Maybe that changes as you go on. Love the atmosphere and the performances though. Those faces though, bit uncanny valley, but they are impressive.

mook

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 20, 2011, 10:03:33 PM
Those faces though, bit uncanny valley, but they are impressive.

they are, but i have to wonder if too much effort was put into them to the detriment of the rest of the game. as you said it is impressive, but so far i'm not having much fun playing this game - and games should be fun.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Now I'm trapped behind a door on a balcony, after getting 0/4 questions right.

This game better buck up soon or else.

mook

heh... i can see me and you having a ritual burning of this fucking game DBT. i'm tempted to sling RDR back in and lasso a few nuns just for old times sake - i don't like games where you get told off for shooting some fucker in the back who was running away! i was only saving him from the electric chair after all.

Lt Plonker

I'm enjoying it too but I'm finding the interviewing a bit difficult. I can't really work out when I should choose DOUBT over LIE and vice versa. As with other Rockstar-related games, the on-screen tutorial is really distracting once you know what the controls are.

You can turn off the rumbly hints too, yes.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Yeah, I'm finding it a case of  'which murder mystery should I base my accusations on?' Is it Diagnosis Murder or Columbo or...?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Well if you have evidence to back up your accusation then you press LIE, but if you know they are lying but don't have the proof to back it up you press them with DOUBT to make them spill the beans. This doesn't always work though.

Like a simplified version of Phoenix Wright, then?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

OBJECTION! ...no actually thats's kinda true.

HappyTree

This looks like more of an experience than a game. I think I'll enjoy it.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 21, 2011, 02:09:57 PMyou press them with DOUBT to make them spill the beans. This doesn't always work though.

Which means that you should've pressed LIE all along, I think.

I'm getting the hang of it now. I've turned off both hint features to amp up the feeling of being completely in the dark and it's brilliant. It's frustrating when I get a line of inquiry wrong, but a good sort of frustrating. It feels like I'm working my way through each case in my own unique way, one that reflects my strengths and weaknesses. Even when I achieved a 5 star rating on one case, I was advised that by taking an alternative route through the case would've nabbed me an extra perp. Marvellous! There's definitely replay value here.

chand

Enjoying it so far. But repeating the whole scene of dialogue again once you get a question wrong really breaks the immersion. Was going well until I had to interrogate a suspect early on; when I failed a couple of times I got the exact same speech telling me to go back in, and repeated the whole experience. Really reminds you you're playing a game.

Waking Life

I was buying my dinner tonight in Morrisons and noticed it on the shelf for 34.99.  Realistically, I can't really afford it at the present time, but something was driving me to pick it up.  I waited at the counter for 10 minutes while they went to get it, only to be told they don't actually have it in stock anymore.  It wasn't meant to be.  I'll wait until payday at the end of the month I think.

Having read some comments on the interweb, I hope this isn't just like one of those James Patterson/Agatha Christie mystery PC games, but with better graphics.  Although I suppose the trial-and-error questioning makes it sound a bit like a point n click.  Crossed with Ellroy.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: chand on May 21, 2011, 06:17:59 PM
Enjoying it so far. But repeating the whole scene of dialogue again once you get a question wrong really breaks the immersion. Was going well until I had to interrogate a suspect early on; when I failed a couple of times I got the exact same speech telling me to go back in, and repeated the whole experience. Really reminds you you're playing a game.

Well that's only really a tutorial interrogation to teach you how to to do it. But I agree the repeated dialogue was annoying.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I take it everyone's engrossed in this game, hence no replies for a day or more.

It is very enjoyable and I'm assumiing hoping the *online is of the playable mindless bloodbath type. I couldn't get into the RDR online.

* That's if there is any *online left.

*Will someone please think of the hackers!

glitch

Ok, on the Golden Butterfly case are you supposed to
Spoiler alert
send the nonce to prison
[close]
? I was sure
Spoiler alert
the evidence pointed at the other guy but the Captain chewed me out for charging him
[close]
. I'm guessing
Spoiler alert
this is the start of the whole corruption angle
[close]
?

I'm really enjoying this game so far but have found some of the Truth/Doubt/Lie decisions to be really weird and inaccurate. It feels weird using such a "limited" palette when comparing it to something like Mass Effect. However my only real worry is about the replayability of this game. It doesn't look like there's any point unless you want to 100% evidence and question challenges for each case.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Re: Above.

I'm actually seeing a lot of points to replaying this game, compared to other Rockstar attempts. That could just be down to my own spectacular failings. So you're not alone in the confusion, just go with it.

I've given up trying to perfect everything first time with this one.

Neomod

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 23, 2011, 12:31:29 AM
I take it everyone's engrossed in this game, hence no replies for a day or more.

It is very enjoyable and I'm assumiing hoping the *online is of the playable mindless bloodbath type. I couldn't get into the RDR online.

* That's if there is any *online left.

*Will someone please think of the hackers!

Is there going to be an online multiplayer then as I was thinking it would just be more cases?

Space ghost

There is no multiplayer. Not even a cops and robbers mode.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Huh? Well that's a bit of a balls.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: glitch on May 23, 2011, 12:40:47 AM
Ok, on the Golden Butterfly case are you supposed to
Spoiler alert
send the nonce to prison
[close]
? I was sure
Spoiler alert
the evidence pointed at the other guy but the Captain chewed me out for charging him
[close]
. I'm guessing
Spoiler alert
this is the start of the whole corruption angle
[close]
?

Spoiler alert
That's the way I went too, but I changed my mind on the train back to Southend later that day - the cause of death was strangulation, wasn't it? The rope used was from a dockyard, where the nonce admitted to working which also shared the same initials as the husband. The only reason I went with Pacman was because I couldn't shake the bloody shoes/foot stomps on the body. I almost aced this case - all the clues and only four questions wrong, and the guvna chewed me out and I got a two-star rating.
[close]

I actually can't wait to reply this.

QuoteI'm actually seeing a lot of points to replaying this game, compared to other Rockstar attempts. That could just be down to my own spectacular failings. So you're not alone in the confusion, just go with it.

Indeed. Even at the end of the one case that I aced,
Spoiler alert
I was advised that assembling my brief of evidence earlier would've led to a double conviction.
[close]

chand

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 23, 2011, 01:15:18 AMI'm actually seeing a lot of points to replaying this game, compared to other Rockstar attempts. That could just be down to my own spectacular failings. So you're not alone in the confusion, just go with it.

I know what you mean, but I think I'll find it hard going to replay, because the gameplay is sedate and for the most part pretty stilted. You can make different choices and see different bits, but like Heavy Rain, I think I would find actually redoing all the trundling around crime scenes repeating conversations and looking for the same bits of evidence again a bit boring. I don't replay many games anyway, but the ones I have tended to be fluid action games rather than wordy slow-paced ones.

Does it have one bit in at as exciting as this?

Phoenix Wright Music Cornered

spanky

Having just finished up with Homicide, question for those that have:

Spoiler alert
When the serial killer revealed, did it actually click with anyone? I still don't remember him at all.
[close]

mook

i've only played this for a couple of hours since getting it last friday, and really couldn't get into it - does it improve a lot after the first couple of missions?

Still Not George

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 23, 2011, 05:42:25 PM
Huh? Well that's a bit of a balls.

To me that's like all the sweetest music to my ears. Very sick of the "all games must have multiplayer" mentality.

Queneau

I haven't even played this, I've watched others playing it though. It looks like to would be really addictive so I might be tempted to actually play it later. Some of the music doesn't seem fitting with the setting and time period though. And there seem to lots of chase type cases. I can't be bothered running around trying to catch someone.

glitch

Quote from: spanky on May 25, 2011, 08:51:21 AM
Having just finished up with Homicide, question for those that have:

Spoiler alert
When the serial killer revealed, did it actually click with anyone? I still don't remember him at all.
[close]

I haven't finished Homicide yet but I've already taken a guess
Spoiler alert
at who the true murderer is - is it the first barman you meet who temps at the place where the stab victim is pushed in front of a car?
[close]

spanky

Answer:

Spoiler alert
Damn you for paying attention, I need to go back to that case and see if the signs were obvious.
[close]