Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:35:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tango and fuckin' Cash (198thefuck9)

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 19, 2010, 10:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098439/

BOOOF

BOOOOOOF

ITS FUCKING REAL AT THE ARSE END OF THE EIGHTIES

COPS

GUNS

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM

QuoteUser Reviews
Unadulterated Sheer Brilliance, the Perfect Film.....Tango and Cash

18 December 2005 | by The Gebrah (United States) – See all my reviews

This masterpiece of Americana is perhaps the Greatest film ever made. The amalgamation of Sylvester Stallone's sheer magnetism, and Kurt Russell's commanding stage presence, has yielded a sonnet the likes of which all Films aspire to be. Stallone portrays "Raymond 'Ray' Tango" a highly decorated narcotics detective from Beverly Hills, who penchant for the stock market, has granted him not only the finer things in life but also a means to express his sophisticated nature and aspirations of financial independence. Stallone masterfully shows the dichotomy of a character who is highly educated and well mannered, yet is beset in a cesspool of crime and depravity, Tango yearns for a better society yet will not rest on his laurels of law and order. "Gabriel 'Gabe' Cash" portrayed by the immaculate Kurt Russell, is the antipodean of Stallone's level headed Tango. Cash is pugnacious, assertive, and zealous yet his diligence to enforce law and order at all cost define this tortured soul. Although this crass inner city detective has a disheveled appearance and tough exterior he is simply trying to hide his true feelings and desires for true love in an otherwise barbaric society.

The story begins as these two rival officers are competing for the title of LA's best cop. Although their methods and approaches differ, their goals are the same; to imprison Yves Perret a diabolical drug lord who catches wind of the duos escapades. With his Criminal Empire in danger of being toppled, Perret masterfully played by Jack Pallance, enacts his plan to destroy the two. In an act of carnal malevolence he frames them for the murder of an undercover FBI agent. Perret's corruption and debauchery know no bounds, as he weaves a duplicitous web of conspiracy the likes of which have not been seen since the Warren Commission. Evidence is tampered, so-called experts bribed, and in an attempt to save their lives, Tango and Cash agree to a plea bargain, under the guise that they will be sent to a Minimum Security prison, not amongst the general population. Perret then has them sent to a Maximum Security faculty amongst inmates that have been jailed by the two supercops, in an attempt to have them assassinated. Tango and Cash must then set aside their petty differences and discover the true meaning of friendship to escape the prison to clear their once proud names, and stop Perret once and for all, in a conclusion that will rattle even the sternest of men.

The chemistry between Stallone and Russell is reminiscent of Redford and Newman, if not greater, with snide remarks being made by both parties. The action, adventure, and violence are non-stop, yet the humanity of the characters is prevalent throughout the film, adding a much needed dimension to an otherwise cliché and tired genre. Tango is not just a mindless cop, he is multidimensional protagonist, who hearkens to the days of Bogart and Cary Grant. Cash desires the admiration of a women to complete himself, which he finds in Catherine "kiki" Tango, he is not simply a generic action hero who shoots guns and makes wise ass remarks, Cash has a quintessence and Russell pours his soul into the character.

All in all this film is the crowning achievement of Stallone and Russell and the Hollywood film industry. It is a cut of history, when master Artisans the like of Russell and Stallone are brought together at their peak with visionaries leading them to produce what is their destiny........FUBAR!!!!!!!!!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kurt Russell is the least likely cop on the face of the planet. It's ridiculous, yet serene.

lipsink

Jack Palance gave a really erotic and moving performance. "Just think of me as somebody who doesn't like you very much."
I remember the ITV version shown in the early 90s was cut to shreds, skipping the whole prison electric torture sequence which made it quite confusing. Stallone also changes his "Rambo is a pussy" line to "Rambo is a primitive".

boki

All I know about this film is that they copied a stunt from Police Story, another fillum that I haven't actually seen in its entireity (but had seen said scene on the Jackie Chan ep of the Incredibly Strage Film Show).  Why do I even go in the film forum?  What the fuck is wrong with me?

SavageHedgehog

Tango and Cash is one of those films that at the time probably represented just about everything wrong with mainstream cinema, yet now it represents a whole load of things Hollywood can't seem to do at all anymore, so if you're into this kind of thing it's actually pretty entertaining. I love how the main villain just happens to be driving past (very slowly) during the opening scene.

lipsink

I always found the scene of Teri Hatcher dancing to Yazoo pretty funny. The look of awe on Kurt Russell's face, as if they were really trying to say: "A star is fucking born!!!" Her playing the drums really out of time too, whose wank was that for?

SavageHedgehog

Thinking about it Don't Go probably sounded very dated at the time, but now the 80s has pretty much formed into one blob vaguely characterised by synth riffs and harsh drum machine smacks, so I guess we don't notice.

It's still the best thing she's ever done. Probably

Saucer51

This film is schlock personified.

Only in America could the two cops be sent to the wrong prison but none of the authorities realise and no-one who does know appears to do anything about it. Still, a nice plot set up.

Grisly moments:

Rakeen's awful Dick Van Dyke-alike Cockney accent.

Tango's cellmate being intimate with a slinky.

Interesting bits:

Cash: Let's stop off for coffee and Danish.
Tango: I hate Danish
A good in joke, as I believe Stallone was reeling from divorce from Brigette Nielsen at the time.

Dark Poet

Suddenly calling it the Tarango & Cash podcast takes on a different light.  Thanks.

chocky909

I heard that that pun was the main reason they were teamed up for that podcast. I'm inclined to believe that's true.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: lipsink on November 20, 2010, 01:20:34 PM
I remember the ITV version shown in the early 90s was cut to shreds, skipping the whole prison electric torture sequence which made it quite confusing. Stallone also changes his "Rambo is a pussy" line to "Rambo is a primitive".

Motherfreaker was another one.

Some of the ITV overdub voices weren't even remotely similar to the originals.