Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mike White to direct Pride And Prejudice And Zombies

Started by alan nagsworth, November 21, 2010, 04:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

http://gammasquad.uproxx.com/2010/11/its-official-mike-white-to-direct-pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies

School Of Rock writer and Nacho Libre co-writer Mike White is to make a big screen adaptation of the horror-edited version of the romantic drama Pride And Prejudice.

Never read either versions, never heard of this guy, never seen those two films... But, hey, zombies.

White's films are primarily family-friendly though aren't they? That doesn't bode well with the living dead premise if you ask me... I guess time will tell though.

Thoughts?

babyshambler

Well I'm excited. I've not read the book but a friend has, and she liked it a lot. I like the idea of zombie attacks through different times in history, not just the last 50 years or so that we see a lot. I bought a friend a comic that followed this theme, but I can't remember the name now. An Amazon search found this though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Tits-Zombie-DVD-Sora/dp/B003VKE48U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290314069&sr=8-1

Fruitful.

vrailaine

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 21, 2010, 04:16:13 AM
White's films are primarily family-friendly though aren't they?
Chuck and Buck?!
I wouldn't say Year of the Dog or the Good Girl are family friendly either.

I like him, always have irrationally high hopes for things he's involved in. Really wanna see Pasadena.

...I blame Nacho Libre on Napoleon Dynamite guy, as everyone should.

alan nagsworth

Heh, that was rather a naive opinion based on what I read in the article to be honest. I have no prior knowledge of the guy at all! Sorry!

Ignatius_S

Interesting that the article, which alan nagsworth linked to, said:

QuoteIn the last few months, this project has been passed around more than Pokémon, even hooking David O. Russell at one
point.

Or rather inaccurate, as Russell was signed up to do it last year before pulling out recently. Quite a few directors have been linked since then and it's been unkindly suggested that White's got the gig for the main virtue of affordability. Looks like Natalie Portman is still producing, but she dropped out of appearing a while ago – and it also looks like no cast has actually been confirmed.

When the film was announced, it was one I thought they would be best to get out to as quickly as possible to capaitalise on the book – the follow-up and one cashing in (Sense and Sensilbility and Sea Monsters) didn't fare that well.

I haven't read it myself, but I've been told been quite a few people that it's highly entertaining – although most have also said that it's the idea, rather than the execution, which makes it so.

Famous Mortimer

More people are droping out of this, it seems. White is gone, and I'd suggest it's going to be kicked into the long grass until they can get some serious names attached to it again.

Mister Six

Quote from: babyshambler on November 21, 2010, 04:37:25 AM
Well I'm excited. I've not read the book but a friend has, and she liked it a lot.

Meh, it's like an Onion article: funny title, decent enough start but gets progressively less funny as it wears on. Not sure the idea's rich enough to even sustain a 90 minute film.

Comedy horrors about zombies. There aren't enough of those.

Famous Mortimer

The graphic novel is probably better than the book (in that it's got pictures and is quicker to read).

Ja'moke

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 04, 2011, 10:25:43 AM
More people are droping out of this, it seems. White is gone, and I'd suggest it's going to be kicked into the long grass until they can get some serious names attached to it again.

That's because White is too busy arsing around on The Amazing Race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r_PyEvrC5E

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I have to say being completely reactionary here that I can't believe anyone in their right minds, zombie fans or not would be excited by this.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 04, 2011, 10:25:43 AM
Check out the big brain on me, from 5 years ago. I guess the trailer has been out for a while -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGraEVNI0s

but rather than the very big names who were attached to it when it was first announced, and mashup novels were still a thing that people cared about, we get perfectly decent but not huge names like Lena Headey, Charles Dance and Matt Smith in a ginger wig. The director hasn't done much of anything either.

Since this thread was last active, I've read the book, which I rather enjoyed. I thought the bits about killing zombies fitted in well, stylistically, with the rest of the book, and it was a fun idea (the swathe of others that followed after it, I presume, not so much). So the trailer has London on fire and a lot of large-scale battles, whereas the book was "could they run the plot of Pride And Prejudice if zombies kept popping up?" So even that one moderately good idea is out of the window.

Thinking about it, the movie that was made as a result of this book's success, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", is four years old. That ship has sailed. I just think there was a moment, when every famous name had left the project, that they should have gone "never mind, let's just move on". I can only assume it's going to be loud and pointless.

neveragain

Oh dear, that doesn't look right at all. Surely the charm of the book was in juxtaposing genteel romantic tribulations with undead violence, but that just looks like any old grim zombie battle film. The trailer didn't even give any clues it was meant to be P&P until the title came up.

olliebean

That'll be the trailer they've made to appeal to Zombie fans. The one I saw at the cinema the other day seemed more designed to appeal to P&P fans. Because God forbid any single trailer should accurately and honestly represent the overall tone of the film.

touchingcloth

Why are zombies everywhere? What's the appeal? Fuck's sake.

Paaaaul

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2016, 11:26:08 AM
Why are zombies everywhere? What's the appeal? Fuck's sake.
They are a non-racist way for racists to enjoy culture.

Malcy

Saw this tonight, really enjoyed it. Funny, violent & ridiculously mad. Matt Smith plays a blinder as well. Had the funniest scenes in the film.

Small Man Big Horse

I've got very mixed views on this, there's a skeleton of a great film here but it didn't quite work for me. The main two Bennet sisters are great, but Darcy is flat and slightly emo-ish, whilst as much as I like him, Matt Smith overacts from time to time. It could easily be cut down to 90 minutes too, and most frustratingly
Spoiler alert
it's missing a big epic zombie slaughter at the end (and there was plenty of opportunity for such a piece in the final fight between Darcy and evil bloke, too), and the mini bit past the initial credits just rubs that in.
[close]
Plus the gore's mostly rubbish, with them cutting away when real damage is being inflicted, which is all a bit of a shame, as it could have been quite a lot of fun.

Hollow