Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:42:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game bargains thread

Started by weekender, November 21, 2010, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Couldn't see one of these, so I thought I'd start one.

Today only, until 6am this morning I think, you can get Age Of Empires III for 10p from GamesForWindows.com:

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-GB/Games/AgeofEmpiresIII/

Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires_III

I don't really know much about it, but it has decent reviews as far as I can see, and it's only 10p.

Consignia

Cool, I was thinking of starting one of these. I'm sure one of these existed in the past, but it's not on the any of the recent pages, so a new one can't hurt.

As I mentioned in the Fallout New Vegas thread, gameplay.co.uk are selling both the 360 and PS3 version of it for £23, and the PC version for £14.

gmoney

Something's up with that GamesforWindows site, if you try and go to the checkout it comes up with an invalid certificate error. Bugger.

EDIT: working fine now. Yay!

Egyptian Feast

Bioshock 2 Collector's Edition is going for £20 on both the Xbox and PS3 at Amazon. I picked it up earlier in the week and it's a luxurious collection, containing a vinyl copy of the first game's soundtrack, a CD of the Bioshock 2 soundtrack, a hardback art book, reproductions of Rapture advertisements and, of course, the game itself. May be a good gift for a special someone.

ThickAndCreamy

Safe Weekender.

Although I'm sure I won't really enjoy the game at all and become bored within about 20 minutes, as what's happened with nearly every single RTS, RPG and simulation game I have ever played. However, for 10p, it's a fair price.

Subtle Mocking

Windows Marketplace had Bioshock for £1 yesterday, is this a recurring thing?

Great thread by the way, although most of what I'd find would come from the excellent HotUKDeals Gaming

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Consignia on November 21, 2010, 01:05:59 PM
As I mentioned in the Fallout New Vegas thread, gameplay.co.uk are selling both the 360 and PS3 version of it for £23, and the PC version for £14.
PC version at least now sold out.

weekender

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on November 21, 2010, 04:23:44 PM
Windows Marketplace had Bioshock for £1 yesterday, is this a recurring thing?

Yes, I think Windows Marketplace are having a week-long 'Daily Deal'.  Cynics are suggesting that the reason for this is just to get people signed up to something other than Steam.

QuoteGreat thread by the way, although most of what I'd find would come from the excellent HotUKDeals Gaming

Which is of course where I got it from in the first place, just forgot to link to HKUD as I was in a rush before going out earlier.

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on November 21, 2010, 02:54:22 PM
Bioshock 2 Collector's Edition is going for £20 on both the Xbox and PS3 at Amazon. I picked it up earlier in the week and it's a luxurious collection, containing a vinyl copy of the first game's soundtrack, a CD of the Bioshock 2 soundtrack, a hardback art book, reproductions of Rapture advertisements and, of course, the game itself. May be a good gift for a special someone.

£15.95 on Zavvi. Regular edition is £7 on The Hut, Gameplay etc. I'm sure I've seen it used for under a fiver. The first one was overrated repetitive shite, couldn't be arsed finishing the last level even back when I cared for trophies.

I'm really tempted to buy Vanquish for £17.99 off Play.com. The demo is unbelievably fun.

Neomod

Assassin's Creed 2 Game of the Year Edition is £9.99 on Play/Amazon.

Got me one of em as I liked the original.

Jim Jarmusch

Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare £14.85   

Simply Games.

Mister Six

Quote from: Neomod on November 23, 2010, 01:41:45 PM
Assassin's Creed 2 Game of the Year Edition is £9.99 on Play/Amazon.

Got me one of em as I liked the original.

Good choice AS2 is far, far better than the original. Really looking forward to ACC2: Brotherhood but I can't justify buying it till I get a job. Boo!

buntyman

Epic Mickey only £21.99 here: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-Games/Nintendo/Disney-Epic-Mickey-%28Nintendo-Wii%29

Hasn't quite got the rave reviews I was expecting but I like the look of it anyway so i've bought it.

AsparagusTrevor

Steam have a sale on, different stuff every day, lots of bargains.

Neil

It helps me/CaB if people link to Amazon things they're recommending.  Then I get a small commission if someone clicks through and buys it. 

buntyman

Apparently Amazon have a few of the new Xboxes for sale for £50 at 9pm tonight as well as a few other decent discounts - I got the new Goldeneye with the gold control pad for £30.
This link should get you to their homepage through CaB: http://miniurl.com/69453.

bitesize

lots of great XBLA bargains on today:

original XBox games: GTA San Andreas + Halo for 400 points each.
XBLA games: Portal + Trials HD + Monkey Island 1 + 2 for 400 points each
                  Splosion Man + Greed Corps for 160 points each

i've already bought Monkey Island 2 and Trials HD, both of which i'd been meaning to get for ages. if you got a 360 and you don't at least get Splosion Man for 160 points you're a fool, it's fantastic.

(oh and some cheap avatar clothes as well if you like that kind of thing)

Neomod

just got splosion man. It had better be good!

Space ghost

Oh it's good  and for 160 msp you cant go wrong. It includes a marvellous song about doughnuts and how everybody likes them. You cant miss it.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: buntyman on November 26, 2010, 09:41:09 AM
Apparently Amazon have a few of the new Xboxes for sale for £50 at 9pm tonight as well as a few other decent discounts - I got the new Goldeneye with the gold control pad for £30.
This link should get you to their homepage through CaB: http://miniurl.com/69453.

They all went within about 10 seconds. Rubbish really.

Today's Steam Deals:

Left 4 Dead 2 - £3.75
COD4: Modern Warfare - £9.99
Wings Of Prey - £9.99
Supreme Commander 2 - £2.50
Galcon Fusion - £1.75
King's Bounty: Platinum Edition - £7.50
Lara Croft & The Guardian Of Light - £4.99
GTA: Episodes From Liberty City - £6.80
Indie Pulse Pack (Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, Bit.Trip Beat, Rhythm Zone, The Polynomial - Space Of The Music) - £3.99

& Gift Pack Deals:

Counterstrike Source - £14.99 for 6 copies
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - £8.99 for 10 copies
Red Faction Guerilla - £29.99 for 8 copies
GTA: Episodes From Liberty City - £29.99 for 6 copies

I'm sure its not techinically in the spirit of the thing, but does anyone want to go halves on the GTA gift pack? If 5 other people want a copy, we can all get it for £4.99.

buntyman

What a strange offer. Why would they sell 6 of the same game in a pack?

HappyTree

I've never used Steam, is it a download site?

If you don't have a physical copy of the game, what happens if it gets corrupted or accidentally deleted? Can you re-download it free of charge a second time?

Someone told me about Steam selling the original Deus Ex on the cheap but, being wary of download purchasing, I would rather buy it on CD-ROM from Amazon. Am I being unnecessarily old-fashioned?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: buntyman on November 27, 2010, 06:51:46 PM
What a strange offer. Why would they sell 6 of the same game in a pack?
The clue is in the name - gift pack. 

Quote from: HappyTree on November 27, 2010, 06:56:56 PM
If you don't have a physical copy of the game, what happens if it gets corrupted or accidentally deleted? Can you re-download it free of charge?...
I would read up about the service. Basically, you buy a game on Steam, you're able to play it on any computer that has the Steam client installed - when you purchase a game, it's linked to your user account, not a specific machine. 

AsparagusTrevor

No excuse not to buy L4D2 if you haven't got it, and buy it for three mates as well. Absolute bargain.

Quote from: HappyTree on November 27, 2010, 06:56:56 PM
I've never used Steam, is it a download site?

If you don't have a physical copy of the game, what happens if it gets corrupted or accidentally deleted? Can you re-download it free of charge a second time?

Yes and yes. Can download the same game infinitely, plus you can backup the game files, presumably to disc or something. Never tried it.

I'm generally wary of this current trend towards selling licenses rather than physical goods, but for games I can appreciate it, especially when it results in the kind of prices you can get on Steam. It's really the future of PC gaming, what with most retail stores closing up their PC sections entirely (my local Game just about manages to keep a little shelf of them in the middle of the shop, doesn't even get a dedicated wall space section anymore).

So no one for a group buy of Episodes from Liberty City then?

HappyTree

Ok cheers. When I get my main PC running next month I may dive into the Steamy waters. This laptop would never cope, it can't even play an audio file without going all weird about it.

buntyman

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 27, 2010, 08:38:39 PM
The clue is in the name - gift pack.

I still don't get it. You're meant to give the game to 6 different friends?

pk1yen

Quote from: buntyman on November 27, 2010, 10:36:51 PM

If it's a co-op multiplayer game or something, then I guess it makes sense. I'd still feel odd buying 6 copies of a game at once though.

Quote from: buntyman on November 27, 2010, 10:36:51 PM

If the gift pack of 6 costs 12 quid, you get 5 friends, all chuck in a couple of quid, everyone gets a copy.