Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game bargains thread

Started by weekender, November 21, 2010, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

If you haven't played recently log into Starcraft 2. They've made Heart of the Swarm free if you accept now.

In other news Humblebundle has the worst bundle I've ever seen. It's one redeeming quality being that its for charity. But ooh it's a bad batch.

Z

Most people will have played them all, but the latest humble bundle is probably a good bet for a gifting to someone. Bunch of old Rockstar games. https://www.humblebundle.com/games/rockstar-games-bundle

Penfold

Yakuza Kiwami is £15.99 at your local Argos.

gmoney

I see Tyranny is on sale for 11.99 on Steam. Has anyone played it? It looks quite interesting, but I couldn't get on with/into Pillars of Eternity.

Bhazor

Tyranny is great. Perhaps the best Obsidian RPG I've played since Kotor 2 (I know most people loved Fallout: New Vegas but I just could never get into it). Certainly it's a lot better than the terribly bland Pillars of Eternity.

The credits say Chris Avellone provided the original concept. I have to assume that includes the entire cast and the story because it really feels like the two games he wrote. Its like Planescape and Kotor 2 in that it feels quite literary for a game. Everything has a deeper meaning, every character feels like they serve a purpose and it feels like the game actually has a central theme it explores through player interaction.

The combat is also greatly improved over Pillars of Eternity. Still not Orginal Sin good but tactical and fun.

Its also surpisingly short for an RPG. Which is a good thing in my view. No filler all killer and a huge amount of player choice that rewards repeat playthroughs. I took about 25-30 hours first time and I'm incredibly slow at playing RPGs so a normal player would probably take less than 20 hours. Skipping repeated dialog and not needing to read tooltips my second play through took about 14 hours.

gmoney

You've sold me on it. I'll report back with my findings in a couple of years time when I've played it.

Bhazor

Talking about it has made want to start a third playthrough. Fucks sake. I still haven't finished Berseria yet.

Malcy

Saw something about Poundland doing PS4 games for a fiver but don't know which ones.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Malcy on February 17, 2018, 06:42:58 PM
Saw something about Poundland doing PS4 games for a fiver but don't know which ones.

Just £1 each.

asids

Quote from: Malcy on February 17, 2018, 06:42:58 PM

I've read about that, I think it's mainly older sports games and bargain bin stuff that they get off Music Magpie.

Looking at HotUKDeals, some of the games they've found include Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Homefront: The Revolution which isn't too bad: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-ps4-games-5-poundland-2888090

Zetetic

Quote from: Bhazor on February 16, 2018, 09:32:14 AM
Tyranny is great.
Thanks for the recommendation Bhazor and highlighting the sale gmoney. (I've found it a lot easier to get into and more rewarding than Pillars of Eternity.)

Bhazor

GoG currently having their sale finale. The top ones I can recommend

Tyranny 66% off
Witcher 3 60% off
Age of Wonders 3 70% off
Shadow Run Dragonfall 80% off
Dropsy 74% off
Homeworld Remastered 80% off

Quote from: Zetetic on February 18, 2018, 09:50:40 AM
Thanks for the recommendation Bhazor and highlighting the sale gmoney. (I've found it a lot easier to get into and more rewarding than Pillars of Eternity.)

Yay people paid attention to me. I backed Pillars for $70 and thought it was a huge let down but Tyranny has restored my faith in them as both writers and game designers. Though their Q&A department still sucks some serious bum hole.

seepage

Quote from: Bhazor on February 18, 2018, 11:16:41 AM
GoG currently having their sale finale. The top ones I can recommend

Age of Wonders 3 70% off
Thanks, I didn't know there was a 3rd one

Bhazor

Interesting fact about Age of Wonders 3 is that the game was apparently solo funded by Notch. In that brief period where it looked like he was going to be the videogame equivalent of Megan Ellison. A billionaire patron giving big funding to things considered too risky for conventional publishers. Of course now he mostly spends his time arguing on Twitter and being depressed. Meanwhile Megan Ellison seems to fancy becoming the Megan Ellison of videogames.
http://variety.com/2016/digital/games/annapurna-pictures-video-game-megan-ellison-1201931131/

Blue Jam

Square Enix sale now on in the Xbox store for a week or so. Just got Deus Ex: Human Revolution for £1.79.

Famous Mortimer

There's Assassins Creed: Unity for XBox One on CDKeys for $1.79.

Wilbur

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is on Steam for £19.99.

Neomod

If you have been intrigued by Mobias's journey from cynic to evangelist the Xbox store has Farming Simulator 17 for a tenner (xbone) and Farming Simulator 15 for four notes (360).

falafel

NieR Automata FINALLY on sale 55% off on the Humble store. Nabbed it but am a few hours into Skyrim now so will probably never get to play it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 06, 2018, 07:38:36 PM
Square Enix sale now on in the Xbox store for a week or so. Just got Deus Ex: Human Revolution for £1.79.

There's a remastered version of Human revolution where the boss battles are changed isn't there? I played the original one (which is otherwise great) but the bosses are extremely irritating and break up the flow of the game. Might have to have a replay with the remaster some time.

Bhazor

Humble bundle has a Vegas Pro bundle up now. $20 will get you Vegas Pro 14 and Music Maker: Hip Hop and Music Maker: 80s.

BeardFaceMan

I bought this before so just a little warning, the soundpools and loops packs you get are a modified .ogg format that can only be used with Music Maker, which is a bit crap.

olliebean

I got it mainly for Vegas, which is worth the money on its own. The soundpools are a bit shit, tbh. Especially disappointed with the "Blockbuster" soundpool which promises "Swirling string cascades, elegant woodwind arrangements and an impressive repertoire of classical symphony orchestra sounds form a foundation for breathtaking scores for cinema productions," which sounds like they've at least got a real orchestra in to record it but turns out to be a load of shit-sounding synthesized "orchestra sounds". (And I do mean shit-sounding, as opposed to the fairly decent sounding sampled orchestral instruments that are often used in actual soundtracks.)

"This Soundpool sounds every bit as dramatic as classic blockbuster music like in Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Bond films or Westerns." The fuck it does.

AsparagusTrevor

Thanks for that Olliebean, I was tempted by the soundpools but now I won't bother.

Neomod

Dead Space 2 is free on xbox Gold this week. Is it worth taking up 12 gig of space on my HD?

madhair60

Quote from: Neomod on April 18, 2018, 09:54:32 AM
Dead Space 2 is free on xbox Gold this week. Is it worth taking up 12 gig of space on my HD?

Yes. It was my favourite non-Isaac game of that entire generation

Edit: But the main character IS called Isaac, so...

bgmnts

Yes Dead Space 2 is brilliant.

biggytitbo

Dead Space 2 is the best one.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 16, 2018, 06:57:59 PM

There's a remastered version of Human revolution where the boss battles are changed isn't there? I played the original one (which is otherwise great) but the bosses are extremely irritating and break up the flow of the game. Might have to have a replay with the remaster some time.

I  don't know about that but the boss battle in the abandoned Detroit factory is really fucking annoying. "You little squirt"... I was glad to get past that one. I'm not a big fan of boss battles in general, I think Mankind Divided did well there with more bits where you could just sneak past the cops in mech suits.

I've had to take a break from Human Revolution for a bit. I did the same with the sequel- I love those games but breaking up the campaign a bit feels like the way to do them.

New Jack

Picked up Sleeping Dawgs: Definitive Edition on Steam, three squid

All Square sale I think

It's ace, love it. Just love it. Love the city the feel the combat the characters...  Makes me wanna see Hong Kong for realsies