Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game bargains thread

Started by weekender, November 21, 2010, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

I understand how one could use such an offer to their advantage but still maintain that it's an unusual way of selling things! Maybe it's because I don't have nearly as many friends as some of you but by the time a popular game is in the sales, I don't think I would know 6 people who had the same games system as me that would want the game and not have it already.

Not having a gaming PC,  this is a bit irrelevant to me but I would still like to establish whether or not Ignatius_S's sarcasm was warranted

Quote from: buntyman on November 28, 2010, 11:26:41 AMI don't have nearly as many friends as some of you

People do it on forums, if there is a little trust there.

Paaaaul

FALLOUT NEW VEGAS FOR CHEAP

Gamestation are selling F:NV for £19.99 on PC,XBox and PS3, no limit on quantity.
Argos are buying XBox copies for £32 (instore credit)

*wink*

buntyman

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on November 28, 2010, 11:40:25 AM
People do it on forums, if there is a little trust there.
In which case it wouldn't be a gift, just a division of the overall price.

It's called smashing the system, getting one over the suits.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Paaaaul on November 28, 2010, 12:24:29 PM
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS FOR CHEAP

Gamestation are selling F:NV for £19.99 on PC,XBox and PS3, no limit on quantity.
Argos are buying XBox copies for £32 (instore credit)

*wink*
Since when did Argos buy second-hand things?

I saw it today, but I think I'll bide my time until it's been patched more thoroughly and the inevitable add-ons have been released in the next Game of the Year edition. That way, I can actually have a life in the runup to Christmas.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 28, 2010, 05:45:18 PM
Since when did Argos buy second-hand things?

I saw it today, but I think I'll bide my time until it's been patched more thoroughly and the inevitable add-ons have been released in the next Game of the Year edition. That way, I can actually have a life in the runup to Christmas.

Dunno how long Argos have been buying games - I first heard they did a few months ago.
I've been playing for a few hours and not found any massive glitches in it - it froze once, but Fallout 3 would freeze every few hours even when fully patched too.
I was saving myself for the GOTY edition, but 8 quid was too silly a price for me to turn down.

Consignia

I've had some pretty nasty bugs in New Vegas, including one which set corrupted my auto save and lost me around five hours of gameplay. I've been saving very frequently now, but there's more bugs I've encountered in New Vegas than 3 in same amount of time.

New Steam deals:

Mount & Blade Complete - £7.50 (although by all accounts you can just buy Mount & Blade: Warband in the sale for a fiver and not miss out on much at all)
The Orange Box - £4.25
Splinter Cell Conviction - £10.04
Street Fighter IV - £6.80
World of Goo - £1.75
The Ball - £7.49
BIT.TRIP BEAT - £3.49
Patrician IV - £7.50
Indie Puzzle Pack (Cogs, Droplitz, Puzzle Dimension, Shatter, Tidalis) - £3.49

Bundles:
6x Mount & Blade: Warband - £29.99
12x Osmos - £14.99
8x Just Cause 2 - £39.99
6x Splinter Cell Conviction - £44.99

(I've highlighted the ones I've played and enjoyed.)

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 27, 2010, 09:59:40 PMSo no one for a group buy of Episodes from Liberty City then?

What happened to your Xboxes?

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on November 29, 2010, 05:57:34 AM
What happened to your Xboxes?

I don't use the XBox for gaming anymore - I did buy Lost and the Damned for it when it came out but the pop up of textures and entire areas of the map was so bad I never finished it. I would actually come off the bike because the road hadn't loaded yet sometimes. Not acceptable.

Will wait for the christmas sale now, no doubt it'll be even cheaper then.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: waste of chops on November 29, 2010, 01:30:50 AM
New Steam deals:
The Orange Box - £4.25

It was brilliant value when it came out full-priced, and for that price it's a no-brainer.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: buntyman on November 28, 2010, 11:26:41 AM
Not having a gaming PC,  this is a bit irrelevant to me but I would still like to establish whether or not Ignatius_S's sarcasm was warranted
Sorry, I was in a rush – but obviously I was in a rush and sarcastic!

When you buy a game on Steam, you're asked if it's for you or if you're purchasing it as a gift – the latter was my first experience of the system when someone bought me a copy of Portal. Whenever I use the store, I'm conscious that I could be buying for others – not just me.

Steam does very decent gift packs/deals for multiplayer games  - and sometimes it's such a bargain that you'll see on various forums that although  people might have the game on a console already but will pick up a copy anyway (e.g. they have friends who game on that platform).

Because some deals are so good – e.g. four or six licenses for £15, when that's the normal cost for one copy – it can be a very affordable way of making sure you're playing with actual mates.

Quote from: waste of chops on November 29, 2010, 01:30:50 AM
...Mount & Blade Complete - £7.50 (although by all accounts you can just buy Mount & Blade: Warband in the sale for a fiver and not miss out on much at all)...
I haven't played either, but when I was looking at them a couple of months ago, from what I read, not getting Warband in this deal would be a false economy. The big new feature was multiplayer, but even if that's not your bag, there were a number of improvements like graphics and the political system, which made it worth getting.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 29, 2010, 02:38:21 PM
I haven't played either, but when I was looking at them a couple of months ago, from what I read, not getting Warband in this deal would be a false economy. The big new feature was multiplayer, but even if that's not your bag, there were a number of improvements like graphics and the political system, which made it worth getting.

I meant the other way round -- it was £7.50 for both or £5 for Warband on its own, and my understanding is that if you buy Warband and not the original, you're really not missing out on much, so you may as well save the extra £2.50 and spend it on, I dunno, Haribo or hookers or something.

Anyway! New offers:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - £1.75
Beat Hazard - £1.75
Peggle Deluxe - £3.49
Colin McRae DiRT 2 - £3.75
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: £1.75
Metro 2033 - £5
Aliens vs Predator (ie. the new one) - £5.10
Mafia II - £22.49
Indie Air Pack (Altitude, DogFighter, Flotilla, Gratuitous Space Battles, Plain Sight) - £3.49

Gift packs:

10x Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West - £14.99
12x World of Goo: £16.99
8x Trine - £16.99
6x Aliens vs Predator - £22.99

Ignatius_S

What's the Aliens vs Predator one like?

Quote from: waste of chops on November 29, 2010, 09:38:43 PM
I meant the other way round -- it was £7.50 for both or £5 for Warband on its own, and my understanding is that if you buy Warband and not the original, you're really not missing out on much, so you may as well save the extra £2.50 and spend it on, I dunno, Haribo or hookers or something....
You're quite right - you ought to take more care, you could easily end up confusing an idiot!

mikeyg27

GoG are having a RIDICULOUS sale through Christmas: something like 200 games at 30-50% off (and their prices are pretty cheap to start with). Some of the games include: Duke Nukem 3D at $2.99, Planescape: Torment, Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil at $6.99, Abe's Oddysee for $4.19. Considering the raving over Planescape I've seen here I may just have to give in...

thugler

www.humblebundle.com

5 indie games including braid, for charity, pay what you like. looks good.

Penfold

Steam Holiday Sale!

Daily deals until January

Today's deals...

F1 2010 50%
Battlefield Bad Company 2 66%
Fallout 3 (Game of the Year) 33%
The Deus Ex Collection 85%
LEGO Batman 75%
Peggle & Peggle Nights 60%
Prince of Persia (Franchise) 75%
Portal 75%
F.E.A.R. (Franchise) 75%
Titan Quest Gold 75%
Super Meat Boy 75%
Oddworld's Oddboxx 50%

As well as various pack offers.

I bought Peggle for the third time to go with iPhone and XBLA versions I already have.

Edit: PlayStation Network sale begins on wednesday

Sadly no Peggle but PixelJunk Shooter is worth £3.19

AsparagusTrevor

Oh god, I'm going to be skint again. I might uninstall Steam til January for my wallet's sake.

ThickAndCreamy

Oh fuck it, I'll buy Super Meat Boy for £3.

If Steam didn't exist, I would pirate like a motherfucker, but it's just so tempting and easy with these deals.

madhair60

Super Meat Boy is the best game in years, if you don't bite at £3 you're a mentler.

I got the F.E.A.R lot.  Amazing deal.

AsparagusTrevor

I just bought the F.E.A.R. set too. Goddamnit!

If previous Steam sales are anything to go by, you shouldn't buy anything that isn't a daily deal until the very end of the sale (2nd Jan) because stuff that's already on sale sometimes gets a further one-off discount.

Having said that, the marvelous VVVVVV is down to £1.99 (or £3.99 if you pick it up in a bundle along with Bullet Candy, Geometry Wars, Super Laser Racer and Galcon Fusion), and Gravitron 2 (a pretty swish reworking of classic 8-bit game Thrust) is 74p. SEVENTY-FOUR PENCE. That's a total fucking steal.

Famous Mortimer

I hope FEAR is still available when I get home. I've played em all through, but it's a good bit of fun to go through again.

Penfold

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 21, 2010, 03:37:44 PM
I hope FEAR is still available when I get home. I've played em all through, but it's a good bit of fun to go through again.

Daily deals are on until 6pm in the UK so RUN!

AsparagusTrevor

Bloody hell, I've gone and bought Burnout Paradise and Guardian of Light now. Goddamnit!

Zetetic

Indie Fright Pack might be worth a look for some. Mostly crap but includes The Void, which is great if you like Russian games about fear, dying, breast and mouse gestures; very reasonable for £4. RPS' Wot I Think is here.

madhair60

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on December 21, 2010, 06:27:16 PM
Bloody hell, I've gone and bought Burnout Paradise and Guardian of Light now. Goddamnit!

Burnout Paradise is brilliant; well worth under £4.

Famous Mortimer

Ah shite, I just forgot about it til now. BOLLOCKS

EDIT: Never mind, £11.49 for all that is excellent. Bought!

Amazon are selling Batman Arkham Asylum and Blur for Xbox360 at a cool tenner each!