Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game bargains thread

Started by weekender, November 21, 2010, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Today's Steam Deals:

Assassin's Creed 2 - £9.99 (£8 if you already own the first game)
Alien Vs Predator - £3.75
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - £4.42
Zuma's Revenge! - £6.00
Trials 2: Second Edition - £1.50
Bully: Scholarship Edition - £2.50
Day Of Defeat: Source - £1.50
Just Cause 2 - £5.00
COD4: Modern Warfare - £9.99
Tales Of Monkey Island Complete Pack - £12.49
Railworks 2 - £4.50
Spore - £7.50

Neil

Bully really is brilliant.

I bought Just Cause pre-owned for Xbox on Tuesday...for 13 quid!  Damn it. 

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Neil on December 23, 2010, 03:04:35 PMBully really is brilliant.
Good, I ordered Bully yesterday. I'm must try to resist opening Steam when I get home today or I'll end up buying something else. Not only is my money diminishing, but my hard-drive is looking a bit cramped now.

madhair60

Quote from: Neil on December 23, 2010, 03:04:35 PMI bought Just Cause pre-owned for Xbox on Tuesday...for 13 quid!  Damn it.

Just Cause 2 is my personal non-indie game of the year - just the perfect open world experience.  I say this without having tried Red Dead Redemption, however.  I wish that would get a PC release.

ThickAndCreamy

When a good game is about a fiver, I find it hard to turn down.

I Just bought Just Cause 2, I doubt it'll be as good as Super Meat Boy but still, it does look like a lot of fun.

Zetetic

Quote from: madhair60 on December 23, 2010, 05:45:01 PM
Just Cause 2 is my personal non-indie game of the year - just the perfect open world experience.
Not wanting to do down its fun factor (because it's very, very enjoyable), it's barely an open world experience. Anyone expecting a even the depth of a GTA will be disappointed - your only interaction in Just Cause 2 is to blow shit up.

(Oh, and I'd dearly recommend a 360 controller to play it with.)

Having never played either Mass Effect for any length of time, I'm now toying with both or just '2'. I loved Dragon Age (despite its weak combat), and I've generally heard good things (particularly about 2) albeit often tempered with claim that it's pretty difficult to care about the universe in them. Recommended or not?

madhair60

I'm toying with Mass Effect 1.  £4.99.

24 hours to sell it to me, CaB.

As far as JC2 not being open world goes, I suppose it depends on what you want.  I frequently boot it up, get a plane and just fly.  On high specs, it's a beautiful and liberating experience.

madhair60

I bought Mass Effect - it had better not suck.

Neil

Quote from: madhair60 on December 23, 2010, 05:45:01 PM
Just Cause 2 is my personal non-indie game of the year - just the perfect open world experience.  I say this without having tried Red Dead Redemption, however.  I wish that would get a PC release.

Worth getting a console for.  Must get back into the online modes - if you think JC2 is an engaging sandbox game, then...

Yeah JC2 seems rather good indeed.  Played it all day yesterday, then had to force myself to put it back in the box.  Really need to finish Borderlands and a few others I've got on the go, first.  I agree with you about the movement - flying around with the parachute and grappling hook is magic.  I still think Quake III Arena had the best game movement/physics of all time, though.

falafel

Quote from: madhair60 on December 23, 2010, 07:14:12 PM

As far as JC2 not being open world goes, I suppose it depends on what you want.  I frequently boot it up, get a plane and just fly.  On high specs, it's a beautiful and liberating experience.

Exactly. It's a wonderful feeling to swoop down in a jet and and skim the tops of trees before ascending a steep mountain ridge and vaulting over the summit into the open skies with the morning sun blazing at the horizon. Absolutely gorgeous.

Oh & most of the stuff in GTAIV that didn't involve blowing shit up tended to bore the tits off me.

Zetetic

Quote from: falafel on December 24, 2010, 01:01:40 AM
Oh & most of the stuff in GTAIV that didn't involve blowing shit up tended to bore the tits off me.
Alas, you're right there.

A much more unfair comparison might have been between Just Cause 2 and Fallout:NV. JC2's very fun (at least in short bursts), but there's not a great deal of immersion that's all; it's worth knowing that if you were expecting anything different.

Dead Rising 2 is fucking brilliant - not quite as uniquely difficult as the first one, and it's lost a little of the arcade-y feel too, but this time the survivors have a modicum of self preservation and actually follow you about very well, which makes it a much less frustrating experience.

I fear that because the survivors aren't very hard to miss out on (I've saved all 13 I've been offered so far) and you still have time to finish the main missions as long as you don't hang about too much, it'll have much less replay value than the first, but still been a worthy experience for £11.99 (if you own Resident Evil 5, or have a friend who does that you can give some money to that is, otherwise it's £14.99 - still worth it I think). Perhaps the difficulty ramps up a little later on, I'm only 5 hours into it.

Today's Steam deals:

Battlefield 2: Complete Collection - £3.74
ARMA II - £4.99
King Arthur Complete Pack - £3.74
Torchlight - £3.74
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - £8.99
Devil May Cry 4 - £3.49
Counter-Strike: Source - £3.49
Fallout: New Vegas - £17.99 (14.99 if you own Fallout 3)
Borderlands (all Games & DLC) - 50% off (GOTY is £14.99)
Saints Row 2 - £2.50
Overload (all Games) - 85% off. The complete Overlord pack (Overlord 1, 2 & Raising Hell) is £2.25, all individual games are just over £1
Ghost Recon (all games) - 75% off. Complete Ghost Recon pack is £7.49 and includes 5 games.

At that price, Saints Row 2 is an absolute must buy. Tempted by the Battlefield 2 pack since everyone raves about it but not sure it's really my thing if it's anything like COD.

madhair60

I bought DMC4, been wanting that for a while.

Don't buy Saint's Row 2 on PC unless you have at least a Quad Core.

It's a terrible port and dreadfully optimised.

Quote from: madhair60 on December 24, 2010, 07:42:56 PM
I bought DMC4, been wanting that for a while.

Don't buy Saint's Row 2 on PC unless you have at least a Quad Core.

It's a terrible port and dreadfully optimised.

You see, everyone said that, then when I pirated it a while back assuming it wasn't worth money due to said shit porting, it ran perfectly fine. It certainly ran well enough for £2.50, and I have a dual core.

Today's Steam Deals:

Tom Clancy's Splintercell Series - 50% off (60% off Conviction if you own Double Agent)
Shank - £4.99
Tropico 3: Gold Edition - £6.00
X Superbox (Tension, Beyond The Frontier, 2: The Threat, 3: Reunion, 3: Terran Conflict) - £19.99
Dragon Age: Origins - 50% off
Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle - £2.62
Sid Meier's Civilisation V - £22.49
Batman: Arkham Asylum - £3.75 (For fucks sake, buy this)
COD: Modern Warfare 2 - £19.99
FlatOut Series - 90% off
Red Faction Series - 75% off
Altitude - £1.74

Also, today only, EA Store is doing 50% off all PC games, with a further 25% discount using this code: o3gfubinq

Also, Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box is FREE from this link. Gotta be worth a download at that price, even though I must say I didn't rate it compared to Revenge.

Famous Mortimer

What do people think of that Tropico 3? It looks kinda good from the trailer.

Zetetic

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 25, 2010, 06:14:18 PM
What do people think of that Tropico 3? It looks kinda good from the trailer.
If you've played Tropico 1, you've played Tropico 3; this is not really a bad thing. The pathing is a bit better (and assisted by the addition of motorised transport), and there's a bit more freedom with placement and so forth. The game's prettier, the music's not as good.

It's a fun enough city builder, with a few bits on top.

Utter Shit

Anyone know of any good deals on PS3 bundles in the Christmas sales? I'll be picking one up tomorrow and I'm looking for as good a deal as possible.

Lee Van Cleef

I'd keep an eye on hotukdeals.com, I'm sure something will come up on there in the next day or two.

madhair60

I bought the Monkey Island collection, and signed on to find someone had gifted me Darksiders, which was lovely <3

Zetetic

While all the front-page Steam deals are repeats, the Indie deal of the day is AI War for £1.80. The expansions are similarly discounted.

It's a ~4X strategy game where you're pushing back against an enemy that massively out-techs and out-guns you, adding the need to not to draw its attention too much while you're attacking it.

Rolf Harris

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 24, 2010, 06:59:11 AMDead Rising 2 is fucking brilliant

It's good but I wouldn't say it's brilliant. I love the hordes of zombies and the often hilarious combo weapons, but there's plenty of little niggling factors that stop it achieving brilliance (in my opinion). A lot of the bosses are virtually undefeatable (unless you use one specific combo weapon, I've discovered from GameFAQS) and mostly boring and annoying. But the worst thing is the fact that you can't run - or even walk - while using a weapon, which is a big mistake on the part of the developers as far as I'm concerned. As soon as you press the attack button you're rooted to the spot - I want to be running through the zombies while I'm hacking them down, not having to stop and stand still to do it!

pk1yen

I just got Fallout: NV, Mass Effect 2, and Fable 2 (thought I should play it before 3) for Xmas - but Super Meat Boy is tempting me at 800ms points on Xbox Live until January.

My question is, should I get Meat Boy, or the Fallout expansion?

I am currently near the end of I Wanna Be The Guy ... Meat Boy seems up my alley. But the Fallout expansion is also tempting.

EDIT: spelling

buntyman

Absolutely get Super Meat Boy. I think it deserves its own thread but I haven't quite got round to articulating my thoughts on the subject. Suffice to say, it's brilliant. Deceptively complex and cleverly designed gamed that is very rewarding as you progress on levels that initially appear completely beyond you. I have got through the light levels that is the easier section of the game but that appears to be only about a third of the total game and as the difficulty begins to really accelerate, probably only represents about 1/50th of the total play time i'll get out of it (even more levels are being added to it in an unlockable section for free). The small story sections aren't very funny and could have been done better but they're easily skippable and don't in any way impose on the actual playing. Definitely in my top 5 favourite Xbox games.

Quote from: Rolf Harris on December 27, 2010, 01:49:43 PM
It's good but I wouldn't say it's brilliant. I love the hordes of zombies and the often hilarious combo weapons, but there's plenty of little niggling factors that stop it achieving brilliance (in my opinion). A lot of the bosses are virtually undefeatable (unless you use one specific combo weapon, I've discovered from GameFAQS) and mostly boring and annoying. But the worst thing is the fact that you can't run - or even walk - while using a weapon, which is a big mistake on the part of the developers as far as I'm concerned. As soon as you press the attack button you're rooted to the spot - I want to be running through the zombies while I'm hacking them down, not having to stop and stand still to do it!

The bosses are tough but far from undefeatable - I took them all down in my first playthrough, and got the best ending, and only needed to look for answers on how to kill them for the last two guys (because they were killing me too quickly, and getting back to them just to die again was getting annoying - the only advice I got was to be better and just keep wailing on them, so its not even like it gave me some special trick). If anything they're easier than Dead Rising 1. I was glad for the challenge, god knows most games these days just spoon feed you - Dead Rising 2 gets absolutely ridiculous towards the end, but still do-able given the effort.

As for moving while attacking, I stuck to the guns because I found the combo weapons to be amusing but mostly impractical, with the exception of the spiked bat, the Axe/Sledgehammer combo and the rocket launcher for one particular boss. You can move and shoot in aim mode with the guns. I did feel that the chainsaw should have done more damage as standard though, it just sort of grazes them unless you attack. You should just be able to charge a group with it and mow them down. Overall though, no complaints whatsoever. Well, except for (Ending Spoiler)
Spoiler alert
how obvious it was that Sullivan was a bad guy and how no one noticed it until he kills the unnecessarily gorgeous Jessica with a bullet to the head. Some classic perverts working on this game, all the women are just insanely beautiful considering they're computer generated. Uncanny valley not even a problem, if they stepped out the game exactly as they are I would do unspeakable things to them. Er anyway... oh yeah, Sullivan. Just didn't appreciate making all the characters complete idiots to provide the "twist"
[close]

madhair60

FUCKING STEAM SALES

MY MONEY, ALL MY MONEY, GONE

GONE

ARRRGGHHHH

Jim Jarmusch

Just Cause 2 £4.99 on Play.com PS3 & 360.

Demo was alright. It's a Platinum and Classics release.

83/100 Meta Critic, 8.4 IGN.

Penfold