Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gran Turismo 5

Started by Ted-Maul, November 22, 2010, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted-Maul

After four long years in development (or more, ive lost track - pun intended), GT5 is finally getting released on Wednesday*. Is anyone else getting it? Or have you all given up hope of it ever arriving and moved onto something else?

I gave up myself at the end of last year when it got postponed yet again and bought Nascar 09. This kept me happy until F1 2010 came out but as i clicked onto Amazon to purchase it, I noticed Gran Turismo was actually FINALLY gonna make an appearance, so I jibbed F1 and dug out GT5 Prologue (which to my astonishment i hadnt actually completed).

So who's gonna join me in a race around the Autumn Mini-Ring in a Daihatsu?

*Or not

chand

I'll be getting it, playing it for a while thinking it's awesome, then I'll reach some point where my car isn't good enough to win races and I'm grinding some piss-easy races over and over again to tune up my current car, then I'll give up. But it will be fun while it lasts.

Jim Jarmusch

It looks too good to waste on a control pad. I should have bought a steering wheel when they were cheaper last year.

The G25's were £99 and GT's £55. The new Logitech G27 doesn't offer much improvement on it's predecessor, is around £229. GT's have slightly gone up, cheapest is £79 in Argos. The stands have remained the same price and start from £70-95 depending on your choice.

Optional 10GB 50 minutes install already has some bloggers whining.

Might pick it up in January.

Fielding

I bunged in a pre-order for this a long time ago, and have been trying (but failing miserably) to put it out my mind until the day when it would plop through the letter box and I'd be pleasantly surprised by its arrival. Looking forward to 'silvering' all the licence tests (never had the time/patience/skill to get all golds in the previous games), and I hope the online aspect has been improved from prologue - took forever to get a race going, and would often fail or end up with terrible lag.

Also thinking of getting a wheel for this, probably the DFGT (unless the G27 drastically comes down in price). At the minute I have ideas of building a little cockpit / storage box for it after being inspired by this. Probably wouldn't have brought a PS3 were it not for this game; right now the only use it gets is as a very expensive DVD player. Hope GT5 is good enough to remedy that.

Subtle Mocking

Annoyingly they've gone down the COD route of not allowing reviewers to release their scores until the day of release. Admittedly this ensures that they don't just play it for an hour and submit a half-hearted review, but what if the complete unexpected happens and it turns out to be an awful game?[nb]This is more in the case of other games, it's pretty much certain that publications will all be creaming their pants over it.[/nb]

knight123

First reviews are in and not as great as everyone was expecting. Ign gave it an 8.5. On phone so can't link to them!

Subtle Mocking

The exact same happened for Black Ops...

Ted-Maul

After having to wait in expectation for so long, it's bound to be a disappointment I reckon.

Like Fielding, this game was one of two reasons for me getting a PS3 (GTA being the other), and i've been a bit pissed off that i've had to wait so long for it. I'd like to think that the developers have been spending all the time painstakingly perfecting it into an amazing racing game - maybe even the best racing game ever - but I worry that they've really been tarting up something that's become slightly outdated. A bit like Duke Nuke'em Forever, games have moved on in the 4 years or whatever it's taken for them to finish this.

Jim Jarmusch

"Gran Turismo 5 is a 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game" - IGN

Forza Motorsport 3    Gran Turismo 5
Presentation:
Graphics:
Sound:
Gameplay:
Lasting Appeal:
OVERALL:9.4 (Outstanding)8.5 (Great)

In the video review it says GT5 is best driving game on consoles. Hmm.

chumfatty

Just bought this today, finally got hold of the TV at 10pm and I have still yet to race a single car (it's now 1120pm). As soon as the main menu comes up it doesn't let you do anything, the controller is unresponsive. Checking some of the GT5 forums suggests the menus are taking an age to load for some people.

Trying to install the game as suggested and it there has been approx 13 mins left for the last 5 mins. Jesus I just wanted to have a quick race before bedtime, if this continues it's getting traded and I'll be reverting to Forza on the xbox.

chand

Quote from: chumfatty on November 24, 2010, 11:20:29 PMTrying to install the game as suggested and it there has been approx 13 mins left for the last 5 mins.

Did exactly the same for me, stayed on 13 minutes for ages, at one point I had to put something against the screen to check the progress bar was moving. Having installed it I haven't noticed any particularly bad loading times, better than Modnation Racers at any rate...

The install took about 45 minutes for me, and it spent 90% of that time telling me it had 13 to go. 45-50 minutes seems to be what everyone is reporting.

chumfatty

If you sign out of PSN the menu screen hanging problem disappears. Apparently it something to do with the GT5 online servers. Managed to get started on my B licence before going to bed last night. Got a few hours before work today to install and have a proper go.

jutl

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on November 24, 2010, 11:18:16 AMIn the video review it says GT5 is best driving game on consoles. Hmm.

I think the actual video review isn't out until next week; that was a 'final impressions' video although it sounds exactly like a review and contains verbatim readings from the text review.

Ted-Maul

Umm, i came home from the pub pretty drunk last night and played this for a couple of hours. It's all pretty hazy but I seriously dont remember ANY loading times at all. I've completed 3 licenses and won 3 B races/ tournements.

Where have I gone wrong? Have I n ot installed it properly?

mobias

I've tried desperately hard to get into GT over the years and the appeal of it utterly escapes me. Funnily enough I actually like car racing games in general but I think the closer games get to reality the duller they become. I bought GT Prologue and played it for ages and tried everything I could to make myself marvel at its attention to detail and get in some way excited by the ultra realistic races and car handling but I never ever managed any of it. I just find its shiny perfect photo real graphics so bland and lacking in any stylistic charm and the car handling so heavy and the races themselves so lacking in any sense excitement. I know games like Motorstorm and Need For Speed etc are all at the opposite ends of the racing game spectrum but they're just so much more exciting and dynamic. Personally I want crashes, I want explosions, I want a huge sense of speed and white knuckle excitement. GT has so little sense of motion to it and GT5's much anticipated damage modelling looks and apparently is a complete load of crap. About the only thing I like about GT5 is the in cockpit view but again its all so static and lacking in motion. 

Anyway rant over. As an owner of a currently broken PS3 I am however taking slightly gleeful satisfaction in the fact that the most anticipated game in the consoles history is turning out to be a bit of damp squib.  I'll wait until January for the escapist mayhem that will be Motorstorm Apocalypse.   

jutl

Digital Foundry have an interesting post on the install:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt5-installation-blog-entry

It sounds like they have tried to mitigate a 1 hour+ dearchive and install by making a lot of data install on demand. The result, though, is that the game is sluggish when new content is accessed. I'd have preferred a complete install option, even if it took a couple of hours.