Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

die2nite - multiplayer zombie survival RPG beta-test

Started by dredd, November 22, 2010, 09:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredd

I've been playing this over the weekend, it's rather good:
http://www.die2nite.com/
If it sounds interesting, PM me for an activation key (I have 3), or try one of these:
http://zombie-night.blogspot.com/
www.betakeygiveaway.com/die2nite-beta-key/

Mister Six

What's your nickname in the game? It won't let me enter the code if I don't know...

glitch

Oh damn, I really want to get into this, as my last foray into online Zombie games was many a year ago (and debatably hilarious/game-changing).

Going to have to hunt for a key now, thanks!

dredd

With no zombie PCs it definitely has a different vibe to Urban Dead, which seems to amp up the back-biting amongst the survivors.
Quote from: Mister Six on November 24, 2010, 11:31:07 AM
What's your nickname in the game? It won't let me enter the code if I don't know...
I've just pm'ed you the relevant details.
Quote from: glitchGoing to have to hunt for a key now, thanks!
Pm'ed you a key, so you don't have to face the online survey filling hell I did..

Mister Six

Yep, this is very compelling and extremely well presented. However, my character is now one square from town with no AP and no food. So it looks like he'll be chomped tonight. Boo!

dredd

If your town is worth a damn, they'll drop off some spare food for you - try asking on the town forum.

leelo

Really enjoying this.  Our town had just enough defenses to survive last night and I'm now stood all alone in the desert, checking back at 2 hourly intervals to see if the autosearch has turned up anything useful.

Make sure you keep an eye on the town forums as people can get very upset if you do something like remove all the wood from the bank to upgrade your house if it was intended for town defense upgrades.

I've also got 3 unused beta keys up for grabs, PM me if you want one.

Mister Six

Quote from: dredd on November 24, 2010, 03:24:43 PM
If your town is worth a damn, they'll drop off some spare food for you - try asking on the town forum.

A fella kindly gave me some Chinese noodles but as I've already eaten today I can't use them. Hopefully someone can give me some drugs and booze before I'm eaten by the undead...

Ignatius_S

Another thumbs-up!

Although I'm wounded in one hand, I've bravely gone out to help someone trapped by zombies.

Mister Six

Get some medicine and a bandage for that hand (ask on your local forum) otherwise you might go zombie.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on November 25, 2010, 11:35:31 AM
Get some medicine and a bandage for that hand (ask on your local forum) otherwise you might go zombie.
Thought I needed something - do I need both?

glitch

Ooops, it appears in my first actions I got stranded outside with 5 zombies. Still, killed 2 but I'm now out of AP!

dredd

Quote from: dredd on November 27, 2010, 12:18:04 AM
Oh bollocks.
That used to be a link to my last town, which was getting hit by 700 zombies on day 7. Incidentally, I emerged from the attack as the lone survivor (out of pure dumb luck rather than any nefarious defensive item hoarding). My good fortune means that I get to be a hero with various snazzy abilities for a bit.
Beta ends in a few days, involving (probable) wipe of all existing towns and soul data, so perhaps best to start a new town after that - looks like they make money from chumps who want to buy their hero status, playing as a bog-standard resident should still be free (I hope).

Mister Six

Looks like we'll be lucky to make it to day seven; we need a load more defence if we're going to make it through the night, but that just leaves us with a huge shortfall in water for the following morning. It's amazing how well balanced and involved the game is for something that you can't really play for more than an hour a day...

Ignatius_S

Everyone still playing?

I think my fate in my first town was my favourite - after my hand became infected, I made a last-ditch attempt to search a medical factory in a vain hope of aid, but died of poison on the way when I ate poisoned that I got from the bank.

I still can't find details of the premium mode but on one thread, prices started from $15 per month, which sounded a bit steep.

Mister Six

Yeah that's far too much. I think they'd get far more success at about the $5-7 mark.

MojoJojo

Just joined this, so I'm in the "Is that all I get to do?" phase. We've already had someone build the portal lock (while pretty much everyone says you should build the workshop first) so I'm not sure how well we're going to do.
Interesting to see how griefers are supposed to be dealt with with the shunning and everything.
Could we start a coalition? I think we need at least 5 people for it to work.

Mister Six

I've realised that my enjoyment of the game is directly proportional to how good everyone else is. The last town I was in lasted about eight days and there was a real sense of everyone pulling together to get everything sorted. This time around it's been the usual useless cunts building portal locks and stealing wood to make houses for themselves, resulting in everyone dying pretty quickly and me getting jolly frustrated indeed.

The counterpoint to that, I guess, is that it very much feels like there's a 'right' and 'wrong' way to play the game. There's no point having the various options for building up your house and crafting items for it, for example, because the moment anyone starts doing that they get banished (or shunned, or whatever it's being called now). Maybe if you make it to 15 days or whatever the highest-ranking city is now you actually have breathing space to experiment a bit more. But I get the feeling that the game will just keep ramping up the number of attacking zombies so that you'll never ever get the chance to make a fireplace or whatever.

MojoJojo

Yeah, there does seem to be a definite "right" way to play it, at least for the first few days. It could lead to some interesting group dynamics stuff, or might just lead to people who know what they're doing begging for people to do the right thing while other people just don't bother.

Just looked and you need hero status to start a coalition (which will let us all play in the same town), so not sure if we can do that. They are definitely overcharging, and have lockedquite a lot for non-premium members, which makes me think this won't become massively popular.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on December 04, 2010, 04:49:47 PM
Yeah that's far too much. I think they'd get far more success at about the $5-7 mark.
I think you can only upgrade between games, but off the top of my head, if you get a six months' subscription, it equates to about £7 per month.  Pay monthly, then it's something like £10.

Some new stuff is due to be added shortly (e.g. more classes and actions), but even so, it's not great value as you say.

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 06, 2010, 12:34:18 PM
Just joined this, so I'm in the "Is that all I get to do?" phase. We've already had someone build the portal lock (while pretty much everyone says you should build the workshop first) so I'm not sure how well we're going to do.
Interesting to see how griefers are supposed to be dealt with with the shunning and everything.
Could we start a coalition? I think we need at least 5 people for it to work.
After the beta ended, the first town I was in, got wiped out because someone reopened the gate just before the attack. Although we were doomed anyway in the long-term, I had done quite a few things that would have got me some distinctions, so that was annoying – that aside, looking at the world forums and town forums, someone deliberately sabotaging the town this way isn't that unheard of, so I can understand why people are keen on getting a portal lock!

Although I would say workshop is the best thing to build first, I've been in a couple of towns where nothing got built because people were insisting on the workshop first and the town ended up getting wiped out because there was no defence.

With the shunning side of things, the last town I was in, people were too keen on about complaining and, even when a person had said why they were doing something in the forum, others jumped to the opposite conclusion and ended looking like a prat.

Quote from: Mister Six on December 06, 2010, 01:06:25 PM
I've realised that my enjoyment of the game is directly proportional to how good everyone else is. The last town I was in lasted about eight days and there was a real sense of everyone pulling together to get everything sorted. This time around it's been the usual useless cunts building portal locks and stealing wood to make houses for themselves, resulting in everyone dying pretty quickly and me getting jolly frustrated indeed.

The counterpoint to that, I guess, is that it very much feels like there's a 'right' and 'wrong' way to play the game. There's no point having the various options for building up your house and crafting items for it, for example, because the moment anyone starts doing that they get banished (or shunned, or whatever it's being called now). Maybe if you make it to 15 days or whatever the highest-ranking city is now you actually have breathing space to experiment a bit more. But I get the feeling that the game will just keep ramping up the number of attacking zombies so that you'll never ever get the chance to make a fireplace or whatever.
A lot of my enjoyment I've got out of the game has come from the interaction with the other players.

Although you could say that the more people pull together, the longer they last (which is  true), one game I did in the beta that I probably enjoyed the least, when it was looked like being the most successful town I had been in. It was well organised (watchtower and workshop in the first day was good), but people weren't that fun to play with or ready to help out others.

Although I would broadly go along that there is a 'right' way to start off, I've found people can be rather too dogmatic in their approach – if certain things fall into place, then it all goes smoothly and in that respect some players I've come across are a little more dependent on luck than they seem to realise.

Ignatius_S

New deal in place - in a nutshelll, if you  invite someone to play and they subscribe, you get the premium mode for 20% of the days that they purchase.

QuoteFriends, Romans, Citizens!

"For too long have the good people of the Die2Nite universe gone unrewarded for encouraging their fellow otherlife participants to come and join them in their suffering. Today is the day we say no. Today is the day we demand change. Today is the day we want stuff... erm... free stuff... Yeah!"

We found this letter this morning nailed to a dead badger which was floating in the well, and decided that this situation must indeed be remedied. Which is why, as of today, any time you refer a friend, you will gain points towards distinctions. If they become Heroes, you will receive 20% of the number of days they purchase - totally free!

So what are you waiting for citizen? If you bring 5 friends you could play as a Hero, 100% of the time for FREE!

To learn how to invite friends, simply go to your Soul page, and click the Sponsorship tab to get all the details!

Good Luck. You'll still need it!

hpmons

I just joined - it looks interesting and certainly has potential, but I can't imagine many people actually paying for it.

Mister Six

I'd probably fork out for a month or two if it were around the $5 mark and then stick around if they roll out any interesting new features. I suspect there are many like me, too.

glitch

Does anyone think the AP limit really hinders this game? Get water, leave town, trek about to you can find a non-desolate zone, do one search (and maybe lurk for automated searching), drink water, head back to town, spend any unused AP on a construction project (if applicable).

I like the concept of food/drink/drugs upping your AP but it's so difficult to actually find anything that can do this without just pilfering the bank... and then being "shunned".

Mister Six

Quote from: glitch on December 07, 2010, 12:21:09 PM
Does anyone think the AP limit really hinders this game? Get water, leave town, trek about to you can find a non-desolate zone, do one search (and maybe lurk for automated searching), drink water, head back to town, spend any unused AP on a construction project (if applicable).

I like the concept of food/drink/drugs upping your AP but it's so difficult to actually find anything that can do this without just pilfering the bank... and then being "shunned".

Yeah, absolutely. It's a balancing issue because the game wants people to co-operate and gather the items necessary to go on expeditions to the far corners. But it also results in every day winding up pretty much the same, and in any case it's hard to arrange for people to log into a browser at the same time, especially when there are no dedicated UK servers.

More AP and the opportunity to explore further, maybe make garrisons in abandoned buildings, would go a long way towards helping the game's variety.

MojoJojo

The AP limit is also there so the game can be played effectively in little time. You need to log in everyday - if you had 100 AP points that would quickly become a chore. It's only because we've just started playing that we want to be able to play longer.

hpmons

Yes, a lot of browser-based text-based games have some sort of turn limit; I've always thought that was a good thing.  It makes the game focus on strategy - making the most out of your turns, rather than grinding.  The way this is made also ensures you play everyday, otherwise you are "wasting" turns.

Not sure it's done perfectly though - I'd prefer to have higher max AP and not have water/food fill to the max.  It would be nice to save AP for the next day or something.

Spoiler alert
I'm going to die2nite :(
[close]

Mister Six

Yeah, that's what I mean - refining the system or adding just a few extra AP. Giving 100AP is silly, of course, but limiting it so much really makes the game repetitive. Maybe if there were more things to do around town than just scavenge and dump AP into construction. Maybe minigames for exploring abandoned houses? The ability to create temporary encampments in the wilderness? The ability to expand the town's borders? I know that they're going for an oppressive sense of inevitable death but a little more depth would be appreciated, even if it's just a more elaborate version of tidying my tent.[nb]Not hovel, mark you. I'm not one of them.[/nb]