Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

die2nite - multiplayer zombie survival RPG beta-test

Started by dredd, November 22, 2010, 09:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glitch

Oh I understand why there's an AP limit and why it's low, I just wish it wasn't so low.

Is anyone here at Graves of Disappeared Scouts? I've now got the attribute Terrorised and wandered into the wrong area, so even though I've got weapons to kill the two zombies besides me, I can't use them until someone else is here or one zombie goes missing. I'm at 1,-1 (1 square SE) and if you could help, that'd be grand!

glitch

Oh and problem solved thanks to shouting on the in-game forums.

MojoJojo

Well, after a day of relative coordination (camping on a good spot, and coordinating our return so no one got trapped with zombies...) I managed to go east when I needed to go north... so I'm probably dead tonight, which is annoying since the town looked it had a few people who could coordinate, unlike the last place.

hpmons

Well my new town seemed to be doing alright, with a watchtower, workshop and portal lock, and nearly a wall strengthener...

But obviously no one closed the gates.

hpmons

I've been really enjoying this.  On Day 9 now, but we are almost definitely going to die2nite.

Anyone still playing and up for a coalition?

glitch

I'd love a decent coalition as it seems there's a massive group of people who decide that if you're not playing the game Their Way then you must be an idiot and detrimental to society. Really fucking annoying waking up to find more complaints because I made one irreversible mistake and my subsequent behaviour doesn't seem to have any effect.

hpmons

Yeah, there's a guy in our town who seems to be the self-appointed leader... I mean, he's good at organising stuff I guess, but its not like we couldn't cope without him.  And he's just so patronising.

QuoteOverall guys, you went from a town of shambling, disorganized failure into a pretty well-oiled machine and I'm glad I've got to play with all of you.

Ignatius_S

Re: coalitions – do people need to be heroes, as was mentioned?

Day 10 and I think it's possible that we're going to survive to day another day.

There's been a bit a squabbling and bossiness – I've rather enjoyed certain citizens reposting information/advice that I wrote and passing it off as if they knew it along.

Quote from: glitch on December 17, 2010, 12:13:25 PM
I'd love a decent coalition as it seems there's a massive group of people who decide that if you're not playing the game Their Way then you must be an idiot and detrimental to society. Really fucking annoying waking up to find more complaints because I made one irreversible mistake and my subsequent behaviour doesn't seem to have any effect.
I found some people can be too dogmatic about their approach and quick to make complaints/shun over trivial things or misunderstandings – but overall, I think I've been quite lucky.

What was the mistake? Was it what you said previously about taking something from the bank?

Quote from: hpmons on December 17, 2010, 01:07:49 PM
Yeah, there's a guy in our town who seems to be the self-appointed leader... I mean, he's good at organising stuff I guess, but its not like we couldn't cope without him.  And he's just so patronising.
Patronising? Sheer inspiration!  I bet you all didn't offer a vote of thanks or rename the town after them... there's ingratitude.

MojoJojo

Mountaintop Without End has just survived night 9, and we're number 23 accroding to the completely arbitrary scoring mechanism here http://die2nite.hoah.org/town
But we are deperately short on resources and water... we might scrape through tonight, but pretty sure tomorrow will be the end.

I'm actually in a coalition now, but it's only with people met in this game so I can fob them off if a Verbwhore coalition forms.

Actually finding the game slightly annoying. Going online at about 10.30pm is necessary for a good expedition, and then there is endless faffing about trying to get everyone online at the same time whenever you want to move. Meaning that while you can't actually do much, takes annoyingly long to do it.

Had some excitement a couple of days ago when a couple of people on the expedition started to share a computer because one of theirs had broken. This caused them both to drop dead, leaving the expedition stranded.

Ignatius_S

Yeah! Land of Corpses is at lucky 13!

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 17, 2010, 01:45:30 PM
...Actually finding the game slightly annoying. Going online at about 10.30pm is necessary for a good expedition, and then there is endless faffing about trying to get everyone online at the same time whenever you want to move. Meaning that while you can't actually do much, takes annoyingly long to do it....
That is pretty annoying - and I've found it to be worse as people are in different time zones.

hpmons

The dregs of corpses is at number 7, despite only at 9 days currently.

We might make it through yesterday, but relying pretty much solely on temporary defences.  Our problem is simply no nuts and bolts.  We've been lucky with everything else, extraordinary low zombie count for ages - but the only thing using nuts and bolts we've build is the factory.  We found two more nuts and bolts yesterday, bringing us up to 4 in total - enough for Guerilla Tactics (temporary defence), but nothing else.  We're now running really low on water because of this - we built water minefield yesterday and probably will again today, because there's simply no permanent defences we can build.

Yeah, there have been problems with expeditions for us as well.  Everyone is so reluctant to go on one without our "leader", which means occasionally we haven't gone on one.  I've pointed out that just after the zombie attack is a good time to go on an expedition (most people online; get resources in before people start building crap), but apparently having an expedition at night affects how many items you get (I can't find anywhere that mentions this).  So we end up trying to organise one during the day...And then expeditioning about two hours before the attack, when its dark again anyway, there's less people online, and people have already spent all their AP building crap or converting items pointlessly.

MojoJojo

Quote from: hpmons on December 17, 2010, 02:13:36 PMbut apparently having an expedition at night affects how many items you get (I can't find anywhere that mentions this). 

I saw some comments about this on the world forums. Apparently the french company that make it has made a similar game before[nb]not sure how it differs, it may have been a 1 player version or something[/nb] and lots of the rules have been taken from that, and some people have translated bits of the manual and in that searching at night was less likely to succeed. No one has confirmed this though, and it would seem to screw over people in different timezones.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: hpmons on December 17, 2010, 02:13:36 PM
...  I've pointed out that just after the zombie attack is a good time to go on an expedition (most people online; get resources in before people start building crap), but apparently having an expedition at night affects how many items you get (I can't find anywhere that mentions this).  So we end up trying to organise one during the day...And then expeditioning about two hours before the attack, when its dark again anyway, there's less people online, and people have already spent all their AP building crap or converting items pointlessly.
I don't think there is that benefit of being at night, but it's good for those reasons you gave – also, if nothing else, you can get a lot of autosearching done before having to get back.

In my current town, what we've done is (more or less) agree not to build anything or convert any objects until the people who have gone out searching and returned, so we can work out what's best to build.

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 17, 2010, 02:19:13 PM
I saw some comments about this on the world forums. Apparently the french company that make it has made a similar game before[nb]not sure how it differs, it may have been a 1 player version or something[/nb] and lots of the rules have been taken from that, and some people have translated bits of the manual and in that searching at night was less likely to succeed. No one has confirmed this though, and it would seem to screw over people in different timezones.
I was under the impression that it was a French-language version, especially as I read something about if you were French you weren't allowed to join the beta – but I could be totally wrong!

dredd

Looks like my town will be dead tonight, day 18:
QuoteIf our estimations are correct, we should be attacked by between : 1795 and 2240 zombies
It's a relief really, I need to take a break from it for a few days.

MojoJojo

Yeah, it does require a bit too much attention.

Died tonight. But the site seems a bit buggered, I try to go to my soul page to talk to my coalition, and I get a a brief error message before it chucks me back to the "you are dead" page.

Hmmm.

dredd