Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:39:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What film is this? One for the neeerrrddds

Started by turnstyle, November 25, 2010, 01:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Ok.

I used to have a VHS of a film I recorded of the telly. What I remember is:

Sci Fi
Late 80's (I'd guess)
Little robots, bit like Batteries Not Included. Possibly nano bots? I think they turned evil.
Big finale fight scene on a building site.

Anyone? It's driving me slightly nuts.

Cerys

Damn you Lampkins!  I was about to post that.

Famous Mortimer

lipsink

Anyone know of a late 1980s/early 1990s comedy kids film where aliens crashlanded on earth on Halloween night and (of course) all the adults thought they were kids in costumes. I remember there was a car wash guy dressed as Zorro. And I think the kids had some stupid dance they kept doing.

It was crap. My cousins and I went to the videoshop when we were kids to get 'Nuns On The Run' and the owner convinced us to get that instead. 'Nuns On The Runs' at least had swearing and nudity in it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: lipsink on November 25, 2010, 02:15:19 PM
Anyone know of a late 1980s/early 1990s comedy kids film where aliens crashlanded on earth on Halloween night and (of course) all the adults thought they were kids in costumes...
Spaced Invaders

lipsink

boxofslice

While we're here, I'm trying remember a film or it may have been an episode from a TV series from late 80's / early 90's where this kid uncovers a hole in his back garden while his parents are away that I think leads to hell or another dimension and involves some kind of curse where lots of creatures emerge.  I was only reminded of this because it sounds similar to Joe Dante's recent The Hole.

Cerys

Okay, I'll let you have that one.  But I'm watching you, matey.

Cerys

Only because I didn't actually get a chance to look for it.

momatt

I think we're gonna need more info Turnstyle.  Sounds a bit like an episode of The Outer Limits.  A man designed some nano-bots that reconfigured his body and gave him gills.  That was amazing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Breed_(The_Outer_Limits)

HAYRDRYAH

I have seen at least 2 films with characters going to a smashup shop, chatting dialogue while destroying white goods. Can anyone think of any?

Johnny Textface

I've tried this elsewhere around these parts but still not got to the bottom of what this film is.

Probably early 80's horror.

Scene opens with husband and wife asleep on bed.
Wife wakes up due to noise in basement. Goes down into dark basement.
Next scene - husband wakes up to noise in basement and lack of wife. Goes down into dark basement. He looks around for missing wife and source of noise.
A hand taps him in the back. 'My wifes hand?' he thinks.
He turns around.

It is indeed his wifes hand but - the arm is severed and sticking out of the mouth of some wierd orange, blob, alien thing.

It imprinted my 4-6 year old brain and has bugged and haunted me ever since.

It could just have been a schlocky trailer. I'd dearly love to track it down - I think it will make me a happier person.

Catalogue Trousers

I could be wrong, Johnny, but I think that there's a scene very like that in this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092074/

phantom_power

i have been trying to think of the name of that film for years. i remember it freaking the shit out of me when i was younger

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 25, 2010, 09:09:33 PM
I could be wrong, Johnny, but I think that there's a scene very like that in this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092074/

Nice one - I will seek it out, fingers crossed.

VegaLA

Blood hell Steve i'm well impressed.
Alright Cerys here your chance to redeem yourself, but this is a tricky one.

Saw some movie on late night TV in the late 70s/early 80s (but still, i'm convinced it's a 70s film) where a trio of Witches (may have been Sisters) are plotting to kill the husband of one of the witches. The Witch Wife is in on it but very hesitant about the idea and keeps going back and forth. Eventually the other two Witches get killed either by the married witch or the hubby, and the last scene has husband and wife embrace only for her to quite literally*Nicey*stab him in the back. I remember sitting there confused because she used some crap butter knife for the task when a decent steak knife should have been used.

OK, scoring is as follows

Cerys = +100
Anyone else = +10
Steve IMDB Lampkins = +1

Thanks.

Cerys

Cerys

Probably.  Sniffle.  I keep thinking of Crowhaven Farm. which clearly isn't right.

Famous Mortimer

Searching for things with three witches in it brings up lots of references to Macbeth and The Witches of Eastwick, so it's a tricky one.

Hold on, is it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069239/

Jack's Wife? aka "Hungry Wives"?

VegaLA

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 26, 2010, 07:03:56 PM
Hold on, is it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069239/

Jack's Wife? aka "Hungry Wives"?

Quite possibly as it was aired around the same time as they broadcast George Romero's 'The Crazies' and I remember the film style was very similar.
However, I shall check out steve IMDB Lampkin's ansswer and report back here on the double.

Thanks all.

Cohaagen

Something from late-night BBC1, aired in the early 90s.

Two dogs - one large and shaggy, the other a sort of scrappy terrier-type thing - on a long journey padding across America. In one scene a young girl gives the smaller dog her neck chain and says "Here, this'll protect you on your way". Five minutes later it is hit by a car. Since then I have been haunted by the shot of that poor animal looking over its shoulder accompanied by the screech of tyres.

Gulftastic

Quote from: lipsink on November 25, 2010, 02:15:19 PM

It was crap. My cousins and I went to the videoshop when we were kids to get 'Nuns On The Run' and the owner convinced us to get that instead. 'Nuns On The Runs' at least had swearing and nudity in it.

And was only a 12! We were very pleased when we discovered that the BBFC were seemingly lowering their standards, so to speak. Sadly, it proved a false dawn.

Okay then, this was on BBC4 about 3 1/2 years ago, I think it was from somewhere Scandinavian. All I remember is, a bloke with a beard on a ladder in his living room - or possibly the beard was on someone else and I've conflated the memories - and someone else looking through a hole in the floor above that living room. Someone goes to Finland at some point. I know, it sounds rivetting doesn't it, but it had a great tone to it, slow like a well-filmed short story by whoever the Scandinavian Raymond Carver is, and I wouldn't mind buying it.

A pile of cliches, you're thinking, but I don't want to watch just any film with ladders, floor holes and Finland trips in, I want this particular one.

Thanks for any input. Didn't realise this wasn't just one person's thread when I first saw it so I hope I haven't boobed and made a mess.