Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is there any reason why...?

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 30, 2010, 12:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

...no-one in a Hollywood film ever says goodbye to someone in a phone conversation? I wondered whether it's an American thing or what, but every time someone has a phone conversation in a film they just hang up abruptly without even saying goodbye. Is this supposed to build tension or the cultural reflection of a very rude nation of people?

madhair60

I don't think this is the case at all!

Edit: Sorry.

Blumf

The same people who don't lock their car doors?

Bu-bye.

babyshambler

Neville Chamberlain

I too have noticed this, but can offer nothing in the way of examples in order for me to exemplify my statement.

*slams receiver down*

Dead kate moss

They often look at the phone too after hanging up, which no one ever does.

Saucer51

"Gimme a milkshake (or whatever)" instead of a "A milkshake, please."

Is it an accurate portrayal of Americans? Is it as ill-mannered as it sounds to British ears or is it simply a quirk of their grammar and no harm intended?

Zetetic

Grammatical quirk, I'd have thought. On a related note, Spaniards say 'dame...', i.e. 'give me...', in shops/restaurants/bars, etc. Dunno if the US usage reflects an Hispanic influence.

I had a Glaswegian friend who used to say "I'll get a..." when he was making requests. It amused me no end. I don't know if that was particular to him or whether it's a regional thing.

phantom_power

isn't it just that those sorts of things are extraneous and therefore get cut out or just not filmed anyway. there is a saying about screenwriting that you should try to start a scene as late as possible and end it as early as possible, unless your film is a rambling character study

SavageHedgehog

I'm far more bothered by Americans never seeming to lock their bathrooms when they're on the toilet or in the shower, at least if sitcoms are anything to go by.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: phantom_power on December 01, 2010, 08:39:02 AM
isn't it just that those sorts of things are extraneous and therefore get cut out or just not filmed anyway. there is a saying about screenwriting that you should try to start a scene as late as possible and end it as early as possible, unless your film is a rambling character study

Yes, but even so, a bit of manners never hurt anyone!

Famous Mortimer

Americans do order stuff in a way that sounds v. impolite to these cultured English ears.

Neville Chamberlain

One thing I learnt in Germany, where people are generally much more to the point when ordering in bars/restaurants etc. (as in America), is that what sounds cultured and polite to my English ears just sounds like a lot of pointless waffle to their German ears.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 30, 2010, 12:37:17 PM
...no-one in a Hollywood film ever says goodbye to someone in a phone conversation? I wondered whether it's an American thing or what, but every time someone has a phone conversation in a film they just hang up abruptly without even saying goodbye. Is this supposed to build tension or the cultural reflection of a very rude nation of people?

In all seriousness, it's because bad actors make the natural and sometimes awkward exchange of "goodbye" look hammy.

rudi

I rarely say goodbye on the phone, especially at work. I do to old folk as they expect it but it's mostly unnecessary otherwise. Am I a American-do?