Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:42:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BIFAS - Riz Ahmed on Radio 5Live Kermode/Mayo 03/12/10

Started by Paaaaul, December 03, 2010, 01:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

Riz Ahmed will be on Simon Mayo and Mark Kermodes film review programme this afternoon talking about Four Lions because of its nominations in the BIFAS 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvdrj

http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/10791/bifas-2010-the-nominations.html

dr beat

He really made Kermode squirm about his own views on the film, although MK made it clear he liked the film but didn't laugh.  However, even MK has intimated in the past that even he thinks he might be on a different wavelength to most people when it comes to comedy.

FWIW one of the reasons I loved the film was that I thought the pathos and bathos played against each other perfectly.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I might be misremembering it but I'm sure that while Mark Kermode liked the film as a drama, he had a really weird interpretation of the message like "evil people can be stupid too" or something. I'll have to listen again, I heard the review before seeing the film but he seemed to have completely misinterpreted the whole point.

hummingofevil

I think part of the problem might be that some people find the bits that are meant to be funny not funny. For example, I thought the bit about buying peroxide with a woman's voice just not funny but other people were howling in the cinema; same for the opening scene. I laughed at the first two deaths but other than that found the comedy bits a bit weak. However, as an overall piece I still think it is magnificent. I suppose there is just so much in it that people can take from it what they want.