Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:35:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

rock'n'roll oldskool (hijacked Kate Bush)

Started by elderford, May 20, 2004, 12:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elderford

Chuck Berry (105) and Jerry Lee Lewis (69) are double billing it across the UK shortly. May well be your last chance to see either of them before they feel the cold hard grip of rigor mortis:

Jun 27 - Edinburgh / Scotland / Edinburgh Playhouse

Jun 28 - Wolverhampton / England / Civic Hall

Jun 29 - Bradford / England / Town & Country Club

Jul 02 - London / England / Royal Festival Hall

Jul 06 - Portsmouth / England / Portsmouth Guildhall

Jul 07 - Brighton / England / Brighton Centre

Jul 08 - Cambridge / England / Corn Exchange

Jul 09 - Grimsby / England / Grimsby Auditorium

Jul 10 - Manchester / England / Opera House Manchester

Jul 11 - Liverpool / England / Empire Theatre

Jul 12 - Oxford / Scotland / New Theatre

Jul 13 - Torquay / England / Princess Theatre

Yay! I love rock'n'roll.

Chuck Berry was on TOTP2 earlier this week - a marvellously energetic performance. I'm hoping Shaky Stevens will start a proper UK/Europe tour too.

(And outside of rock'n'roll, I'm also waiting for Kate Bush to put out a new bloody album too. The seemingly eternal waiting...)

Sometime this year, apparently, although, you can never be sure. She's been recording it since 1999 (or thereabouts) so god knows when it will finally appear.

elderford

Went back to my folks' and dusted off the gramophone and spun her The Dreaming single.

Incredible stuff. Different singing styles, instrumentation, vibe...what stunned me the most was remembering watching her perform it on Saturday morning kids' telly. That something so interesting could be just slotted in as a pop music interlude.

Oh, we were spoiled back in them days.

Running up that Hill on Wogan.

Almost Yearly

I'm a big fan of Bush too. I thought that up all by my own.

As I never tire of repeating, she's always been a great studio technician as well as all the writing and singing and dancing and having nice tits. She was one of the artists who pioneered the use of the Fairlight, the first sampling synth. So there. Her and John Paul Jones and Thomas Dolby and the others listed on that link^. I weckon Peter Gabriel was just using his to fart into and then play fart tunes until she showed him what to do.

QuoteWent back to my folks' and dusted off the gramophone and spun her The Dreaming single

The Dreaming album is one of the best things you can do to your ears. Absolutely incredible, and my favourite of all her albums, although all of them are excellent (apart from The Red Shoes, but that's not really shit, just mediocre).

And the thought of "The Dreaming" being performed on children's TV is just surreal. The kids must've gone screaming in terror from the living room!

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Fairlight.

Ta for that link...Bought back memories.

I was introduced to John Lewis (Programmer on M's 'Pop Music,' amongst loads of other stuff). I went to his studio and saw him at work...Literally typing code into a Fairlight to make amazing music, especially for the time.

I was going to do a bit of 'tea-boy'-ing for him but he tragically died of Aids shortly afterwards.

I've still got a Fairlight manual somewhere...Must dig it out...I bet it makes for interesting reading these days!!!

elderford

To be fair to Peter Gabriel he did come up with the 'using a noisegate on a drum' sound, (on PG3?)* which he then lent to Phil Collins who used it to such monsterous effect on his "Coming in the Night" single

*which Kate Bush guests on (Games without Frontiers)

Gazeuse

Quote from: "elderford"To be fair to Peter Gabriel he did come up with the 'using a noisegate on a drum' sound, (on PG3?)* which he then lent to Phil Collins who used it to such monsterous effect on his "Coming in the Night" single

Never knew that...But I do know that the crime took place at the now redesigned Townhouse Studio 2 on Goldhawk Road.

(Derek And Clive was recorded in studio 1 just yards away).

Rats

Kate Bush is a goddess, she's still working on her new album ;)
Let's hope it's not as dissapointing as morrissey's comeback