Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:06:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Left 4 Dead 2 - The CAB Collective (PC)

Started by ThickAndCreamy, December 04, 2010, 07:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThickAndCreamy

So, I'm sure a few people on here have Left 4 Dead 2 on the PC and it would be a lot of fun if we all worked together as a team to get through the campaign or on the versus mode. We can help each kill zombies and feel a vague sense of accomplishment. So why don't we?

Anyone up for a game then? My Steam ID is Henry Kissenacuddle

Let's do this!

AsparagusTrevor

I would certainly be up for it. I'm AsparagusTrevor, unsurprisingly.

Joy Nktonga

Although I'm a complete novice (got it in the sale last week) I'd be up for it. I'm Nktonga.

Neil

Got it in the Steam sale too, although it's gonna be touch and go when I can play it, as my graphics card died. neilbombd on Steam.

Zetetic

Why don't we setup a cookdandbombd Steam group?
Edit: Because there's already one you smug idiot.

(Zetetic)

Famous Mortimer

I think I set it up way back when, then promptly forgot to use Steam for a couple of years and lost my account and password, never to be retrieved.

But I'm now xxxmortimerxxx and love L4D2.

falafel

I love it but am shit at it. sammcginty I think is my handle - dangerously nixing my anonymity

knight123

Would be up for that. My steam id is ed_knight

Though I still think the first l4d is vastly superior

AsparagusTrevor

samadriel

I bought this in a sale for a housemate (personally I'm firmly on the side of the boycotters, but said housemate doesn't follow any of that business), and from what I've seen and played, I don't know what's to prefer about L4D 1 (...except Bill and Louis, heh).  I find dealing with the Jockeys and Chargers a bit tedious, but still, L4D 2 fleshes out the experience with the kinds of things (new guns, ammo types, mission types, zombie types, melee weapons) that would've eventually justified the first game's pricetag if they'd gone the TF2 route like they'd claimed.  The AI director alone can only change things up so much with L4D 1's limited palette.

knight123

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on December 08, 2010, 12:39:52 PM
Really? How so?

Two reasons, firstly, I thought the overall tone of the first was better. It seemed alot darker and grittier as you'd expect a zombie game to be. l4d2 on the other hand seemed almost cartoonish in the graphics department and  I understand the decision to change alot of it to during daylight or at least dusk since it probably would seem a bit samey with the same appearance in the second. That's why I think they should just have kept releasing new maps for it, rather than a new game a year later.

Secondly, I feel they overcomplicated l4d2 in a way. The first's simplicity was great, it was just four people, a limited amount of guns each with their own distinct strengths and weaknesses and the same with the enemies. None of this laser sight and explosive rounds rubbish. The more open ended environments didn't feel right with me either. There's nothing like a series of narrow corridors and a swarm of enemies or a tank charging right at you to get the tension going.

Though I know i'm in the minority. It just seemed like the changes to the game engine were pretty inconsequential, the only one that actually made a difference or set it apart from the original in any way was the addition of melee weapons but they could have simply patched this into the first game. I think I'm just bitter at paying £20 for what is essentially DLC.

madhair60

madhair60, can play some evenings but I'm afraid I'm not great.

ThickAndCreamy

Right, we clearly have enough people.

Say a game next Sunday at 7pm? If we can get 8 of us it'll make a fantastic versus game.

madhair60

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on December 04, 2010, 07:27:39 PM
So, I'm sure a few people on here have Left 4 Dead 2 on the PC and it would be a lot of fun if we all worked together as a team to get through the campaign or on the versus mode. We can help each kill zombies and feel a vague sense of accomplishment. So why don't we?

Anyone up for a game then? My Steam ID is Henry Kissenacuddle

Let's do this!

Steam says you don't exist.

falafel

If you mean the 12th then yes for me, but 19th is a no.

AsparagusTrevor

I'll be around for a while tonight if anyone wants a late night Saturday game?