Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[techy] microphones/recording acoustics.

Started by 9, May 20, 2004, 03:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

what's the best way of recording acoustic sounds onto a PC? I had been using the built in mic in my laptop but the hiss is terrible. I just bought a cheapo phillips mic to plug in but it doesn't seem much better, and the recording volume is very low.

If I reduce the hiss with audio software I always lose sound quality really badly. Is there a solution?

(My audio playback device is a VIA AC'97 Audio [WAVE]. Whatever the hell that means.)

El Unicornio, mang

I've had the same troubles before. You have a couple of options:
1) Get a better sound card. the one you have is exactly the same as I had a couple of weeks ago, and they're crap unless you have.....
2)....a mixer or a preamp, something you can plug the mic into before feeding it to the PC so you can adjust the volume. You can get one for about 50 quid

Other than that, always check the volume control for the sound card (start ->accessories->entertainment->volume control) Make sure the slider for MIC is pushed all the way up for recording

I got a MobilePre preamp device a while back to sort out the problem, but recently sold it and got a better sound card. The sound card isn't quite as good as the preamp but it does send the signal properly, whereas the preamp only sent to one side, which was annoying

thanks very much, that's really helpful. (btw I can't get 'Have you Ever' out of my head. I love that song ;-))