Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:48:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Overly-Descriptive Titles

Started by Maybe Im Doing It Wrong, December 10, 2010, 11:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Now, there are a lot of reasons I don't want to see "Couples Retreat", but one big one is that the title is so blandly descriptive of what the film's about. If
they'd called it "Forsakin' All Others" or "Love Stinks" or something like that I might have been mildly-intrigued.

See also "The Invention of Lying." When you've heard the title you don't really need to see the film, do you?

"Snakes On A Plane" of course, but that's trying too hard.

chocky909

"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Serge

'The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford'

Ruined the fucking twist for me, that did.

falafel

Yeah, up to that point he came across as really brave.

Mister Six

Quote from: Maybe Im Doing It Wrong on December 10, 2010, 11:27:11 AM
Now, there are a lot of reasons I don't want to see "Couples Retreat", but one big one is that the title is so blandly descriptive of what the film's about.

Can you include puns in this? Because a title that works on two levels surely isn't blandly descriptive. The couples go to a retreat. Also, the couples are retreating from life! Do you see?

Not as clever a title as Arrested Development though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mister Six on December 11, 2010, 11:37:50 AM
Can you include puns in this? Because a title that works on two levels surely isn't blandly descriptive. The couples go to a retreat. Also, the couples are retreating from life! Do you see?

You've all read the two word review of that film, right? (I think it was Roger Ebert):

"Couples, retreat!"

Quote from: Mister Six on December 11, 2010, 11:37:50 AM

Oh yes. In all fairness to myself it's not a very good pun though.

What's the pun in arrested development?

non capisco

Recent kid's comedy 'Hotel For Dogs'. A title very much in the mould of Del Boy's 'There Is A Rhino Loose In The City'.

This does what it says on the tin:

It's about a ninja assassin, I presume. You can't say you weren't warned. Don't come crying to me if you wanted a film about a judo dentist.

falafel

Quote from: Maybe Im Doing It Wrong on December 11, 2010, 03:03:36 PM
Oh yes. In all fairness to myself it's not a very good pun though.

What's the pun in arrested development?

George has been arrested; in another sense the property... development... company has been stopped in its tracks; and besides that the family is a bunch of overgrown kids.

There may be other levels but that is how I understand it.

babyshambler

Toy Story. Reach for the skyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.