Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:42:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Underly-Descriptive Titles

Started by Johnny Townmouse, December 10, 2010, 05:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead kate moss

"Angela's Ashes" - another one where it's explained in the book, but that bit isn't in the film.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 11, 2010, 03:19:43 PM
A story about a banana republic, told with lots of slapstick humour. What could be better? Apparently also a reference to the Marx brothers film The Cocoanuts. So neerrrrrr.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Allen explaining why it was called Bananas: "Because there are no bananas in it." - so double ner with knobs on.

Although some said have said it's a nod to The Cocoanuts, there's no evidence to back this up.

Serge

Quote from: Jumble Cashback on December 12, 2010, 08:18:09 PM'Stand By Me' seems to only be called 'Stand By Me' because the song 'Stand By Me' is in it.  The story was called 'The Body' which, being the book's Macguffin, makes a lot more sense than 'Stand By Me'.  I imagine a situation where Ben E. King said to them "Okay, you can use the song, but only on one condition", "What's that, Ben E.?"  "Well, it's nothing big, but...".  Christ, the song just came on in the internet cafe, as I'm typing this.  Scared the shit out of me.

Wasn't there a trend for naming movies after old songs during the eighties? Obviously, my brain won't let me think of any at the moment, but I do seem to remember a run of them, probably because the songs they were named after then became hits again.

Blumf

Quote from: Serge on December 12, 2010, 11:49:17 PM
Wasn't there a trend for naming movies after old songs during the eighties? Obviously, my brain won't let me think of any at the moment, but I do seem to remember a run of them, probably because the songs they were named after then became hits again.

Um... Blue Velvet. Er... would Brazil count?

Johnny Townmouse

I was thinking St Elmo's Fire, but that was made for the film I think. However, it is a very good example of an underly-descriptive film title. I think another trend in the 80s was to take a central core concept, or metaphor for that concept, and then call the film that to enhance the sense of ambiguity and give it a clever-clever appeal.

The most irritating examples of this can be found in the film titles of professional oscar-sniffer, Iñárritu:

Babel

21 Grams

Quote from: Ignatius_S on December 12, 2010, 10:44:13 PM
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Allen explaining why it was called Bananas: "Because there are no bananas in it." - so double ner with knobs on.

But that was surely a tongue-in-cheek answer, so triple, radioactive nnerrrrrrrrrrrrrr sandwiches.

The Coconauts bit might be from Wikipedia, OK?

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on December 13, 2010, 12:45:06 AM
I was thinking St Elmo's Fire, but that was made for the film I think.

It was, although wierdly the song isn't about anything to do with the film, it's about paralympian Rick Hansen. I think they do try to fit the title into the film at the end, but very jarringly

Ignatius_S

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 13, 2010, 04:16:19 PM
But that was surely a tongue-in-cheek answer, so triple, radioactive nnerrrrrrrrrrrrrr sandwiches.

The Coconauts bit might be from Wikipedia, OK?
I'll choose to see that as an apology sandwich!

The Cocoanuts is indeed on Wikipedia, but there's no citation - it's quite nice theory though.