Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thor

Started by boxofslice, December 12, 2010, 12:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxofslice

Anyone seen the trailer for this?

Thor Trailer (OFFICIAL MOVIE TRAILER)

Directed by Kenneth Branagh and with an interesting cast including Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba.  The trailer does look a bit silly in, well, most of it and Branagh's attempts at big budget features haven't been that successful.  Who knows, it might surprise.

Ginyard

It looks quite the dumbest thing I've yet seen. Maybe. Probably not, but still pretty naff.

NoSleep

No dumber than, say, True Blood. And that manages to be fun.

Kenneth Branagh??

Mythological gods & comic book heroes are one and the same, right?

Pedro_Bear

Branarrrgh, Portman and Hopkins clearly candidates for kicking back with Marvel b-list heroes at the mall food court, eh? If they stick with the whole Flash Gordon high camp of Odin's court there, this may yet be enjoyable.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's better than the Green Lantern trailer, says I. Of course, that's no guarantee that the finished film will be any good.

MojoJojo

I find it very hard to take the comic character Thor seriously. I'm not really sure why, when I'm OK with a guy who dresses up as a very unconvincing bat.

Jemble Fred

Well it's my favourite director with one of the most interesting superheroes, and Anthony Hopkins. Definitely sold.

sirhenry

And there seems to be a sense of humour there too - Heimdall (the White/Whitest God) is played by Idris Elba (which also means 'white').

SavageHedgehog

It looks like they're going for moderately tasteful camp, not a bad move in my opinion

I wonder how Branagh got the job, his only real popcorn film was Frankesntein 15 years ago  (although I guess some others, especially Dead Again, are kind of adult popcorn films)

boxofslice

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 14, 2010, 12:14:57 PM
I wonder how Branagh got the job, his only real popcorn film was Frankesntein 15 years ago  (although I guess some others, especially Dead Again, are kind of adult popcorn films)

They probably thought that getting someone with his Shakespearean credentials behind the project would give it some weight.

Ginyard

A Midsummer Night's Hammerin'

Ginyard

Tiny Poster

I hope Branagh can do for Thor what Favreau did for Iron Man - inject a great dose of wit and likeability into the Marvel onscreen universe, and thus get me into the character's comics.

The Incredible Hercules is far more fun than what I've read of Thor, Ultimates excepted.

Dead kate moss

Sad there seem to be no cod-Shakepserian 'Thou art's or ''I say the NAY!'s even if those never made much sense with Norse Gods in the first place. I hope to see more of his helmet too... But I want to see this succeed, then the slightly more dodgy looking Captain America, so we get The Avengers movie.

And what's happening with the Joe Cornish scripted Ant-Man movie?

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Dead kate moss on December 14, 2010, 03:26:41 PM
Sad there seem to be no cod-Shakepserian 'Thou art's or ''I say the NAY!'s even if those never made much sense with Norse Gods in the first place.

There's a character in the Marvel U called Valkyrie whose dialogue is a big pisstake of this.

Or it could be Thor Girl, I dunno.

QuoteAnd what's happening with the Joe Cornish scripted Ant-Man movie?

I'm really interested in seeing that, as the first (and third) Ant Man is one of the few superheroes to be openly written as a dick. Sadly, too many writers tie that into the ONE TIME he hit his (superhero) wife about 20 years ago.

Also, a la Iron Man, it should use a pre-existing tune that mentions the title character:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nDCG1PchY

sirhenry

Quote from: Tiny Poster on December 14, 2010, 05:08:35 PM
I'm really interested in seeing that, as the first (and third) Ant Man is one of the few superheroes to be openly written as a dick, a la Iron Man.
Well they don't seem to have kept much of Stark's gitworthiness in the movie, so presumably the same would hold true for Antman - just hint at it, but not enough to lose punters.

Tiny Poster

They try to do Stark's gittishness in Iron Man 2, but there are pacing problems there. You forgive him practically before he starts acting like a cunt. And unless they start making about 10 Avengers-related films a year, we're not going to see the Civil War/conflict-of-interest Stark at all.

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 14, 2010, 10:36:33 AM
Well it's my favourite director with one of the most interesting superheroes, and Anthony Hopkins. Definitely sold.

Your favourite? I know that doesn't necessarily mean you think he's the best, but really? You've seen his Hamlet (Blessed aside) and still don't think of him as rather dim indeed? Sorry for all these questions, I feel like a BBC reporter bullying a paraplegic.

Jemble Fred

Why on earth should I think that? I'm pretty sure I've seen all Branagh's films – many I love (In The Bleak Midwinter, Henry V, and yes, Peter's Friends) and I've never actively disliked any of them, including barely-released oddities like The Magic Flute.

I've seen Olivier's Hamlet and found him immensely boring as a director and performer, mind. And don't get me started on his fucking Richard III...

Ginyard

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 14, 2010, 11:19:30 PM
I've seen Olivier's Hamlet and found him immensely boring as a director and performer, mind. And don't get me started on his fucking Richard III...

Really? His Richard III is awe inspiring. What's not to like?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ginyard on December 14, 2010, 11:51:47 PM
Really? His Richard III is awe inspiring. What's not to like?

Seriously? That cardboard charade? It was a gift to comedians who wanted to put people off Shakespeare for generations. Maybe it's not his fault that he was lampooned for decades afterwards, but I'd certainly not recommend the film to anyone who hadn't seen or read the play already. One of Olivier's productions is putting people off Shakespeare even now, if it's their first experience of his work. As an actor and director, Branagh draws people in to Shakespeare, like almost no-one else. My favourite adaptation may be Loncraine & McKellen's Richard III, but Branagh is as good an interpreter of Shakespeare as anyone alive.

Ginyard

Olivier's Shakespeare was an easy target for satirists because of its idiosyncracy. It was an easy target but that doesn't mean its not good work. I like Branagh's productions as much as the next man but there's plenty of room in this world for different perspectives.

Jemble Fred

Well no, I agree that it's hardly Olivier's fault, times have changed – but seeing as Branagh's Hamlet is in the firing line here, I know which version of the play I feel does more service to Shakespeare's text, and provides a more gripping cinema experience.

I bet Olivier's Thor would be boring too...

Then again Olivier would never have made anything as hatefully self-absorbed, maladroit, and laughably shit as "Dead Again."

Olivier's Henry V pisses on Branagh's.

SavageHedgehog

It's only you who thinks so, I fear.

They had to re-do the flashback bits in black and white after audiences roared with laughter at the previews, didn't they?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Maybe Im Doing It Wrong on December 15, 2010, 01:19:20 PM
Olivier's Henry V pisses on Branagh's.

Like Richard III, I'd say it's a very interesting document, for the history of British Cinema, war films and obviously Shakespearean adaptations. But Branagh's is surely the better movie, and obviously features a superior depiction of warfare. (Not that any degree of realism was either intended by or really achievable for Olivier, to be fair.)

Dead Again is great fun, with a very good cast (well that's a given with Branagh), but I don't rate it as one of his best films.