Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas Specials

Started by 3-d lobster, December 12, 2010, 09:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3-d lobster

It is that time of year and I have started watching the ol' Xmas DVD's. The same films everyone else will be watching but which 'specials' do you enjoy?

I really love soppy sentimental (mainly) US programmes. Flintstones, Yogi bear, but my fav is A Muppet Family Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtgYDpvRCMI, it has the muppets meet sesame street meet the fraggles. It's obviously not a good as the Christmas Carol but is grounded in 'muppet world' and fun of gags, songs everything a Christmas special should be.

CaledonianGonzo

I agree that A Muppet Family Christmas is a thing of wonder.  The moment 15 or so minutes into it where the Swedish chef says (something along the lines of) 'Smecka gobbla gobbla goofy-woofy' is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Really touching 'cameo' at the end, too.

Custard

Downlaaaading me that Muppets Special right now!

SeeSaw has a little section devoted to Christmas specials at the moment. With Bottom, Desmonds, Father Ted, The Office, and Drop The Dead Donkey episodes all ready for free viewing loike.

http://www.seesaw.com/Christmas

Santa's Boyfriend

A Muppet Christmas Carol is surprisingly good!

The Bottom christmas special is quite fun too.

the midnight watch baboon

GOLD has an entire day of Christmas specials today, somewhat unsurprisingly! Includes OFITG, Blackadder's CC etc. Not Bottom though.

3-d lobster

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 23, 2010, 03:00:58 PM
Really touching 'cameo' at the end, too.
Yes, quite poignant. worth watching for that moment alone.

I just want to clarify my 'not as good' comment. 'Carol' is a Film, a timeless story that is told perfectly that can be watched (and I do) anytime of the year. The special is just that 'special'. It stands on it's own, if this was anything other than muppets it would come across as twee, cheesy or just a cynical attempt at the Xmas market. But, the muppets make it work, entertaining and fun. I'll be watching it again tonight, leaving my mardy cynicism at work.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on December 24, 2010, 09:43:38 AM
A Muppet Christmas Carol is surprisingly good!

Man, that's some damning with faint praise.  It reduces most people I know to paroxysms of festive rapture.

Though perhaps'surprising' in that it was - a small amount of TV work aside - Brian Henson's debut as a director and he knocked it out the park.

Santa's Boyfriend

Alright, it's really good.  Even though it does have Michael Caine singing in it!

SavageHedgehog

I'm more of a Mickey's Christmas Carol man myself, although watching it again it's a little too short and Goofy is miscast

Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales is notable for a number of reasons. It was one of the few times Friz Freeleng and Chuck Jones got to work with the WB characters again in the TV era, it's featured in Lethal Weapon and Eyes Wide Shut and most importantly at one point it sounds like Yosemite Sam says the F-word

Other notable animated Xmas specials:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Natch)
A Charlie Brown Chistmas/It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown/I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (Didn't like it that much personally, but beloved in the US)
A Pink [Panther] Christmas
A Wish For Wings That Work (from the cult favourite comic strip Bloom County)
A Garfield Christmas (Sorry)
Ziggy's Gift (Cute but uninspired comic strip turned into a pretty good Xmas special via legendary Brit animator Richard Williams)