Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No love for Crysis 2?

Started by VegaLA, December 13, 2010, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Was this title not any good?
I thought the original game (PC only?) was a big deal and only discovered this past weekend that the sequel has been released to both PS3 and 360, but there has been no mention of it here.
I ask as i'm considering putting it on my Christmas list. Should I not bother?

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: VegaLA on December 13, 2010, 05:02:02 PM
Was this title not any good?
I thought the original game (PC only?) was a big deal and only discovered this past weekend that the sequel has been released to both PS3 and 360, but there has been no mention of it here.
I ask as i'm considering putting it on my Christmas list. Should I not bother?

The game looks stunning. I'll be updating my PC when it launches in March next year. Too early for xmas unless you were thinking of pre-ordering.

The first Crysis and Warhead were amazing, the 2nd slightly better. Better than all the Call Of Duty shite that passes for gaming at the moment. Proper old school feeling with nice shiny new graphics. Can't wait for the new one, and have kept myself spoiler free. I hope the English guy makes an appearance though.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 13, 2010, 06:38:56 PM
The first Crysis and Warhead were amazing, the 2nd slightly better. Better than all the Call Of Duty shite that passes for gaming at the moment. Proper old school feeling with nice shiny new graphics. Can't wait for the new one, and have kept myself spoiler free. I hope the English guy makes an appearance though.

I am glad you mentioned this. The gameplay was far more exhilerating than all of the modern warfare series or COD. The floaty bit inside was nice and different too. One of their major issues was making it so advance for regular systems back in the day. But it is a graphical tour de force. Even Deus Ex seems to like the idea of the suite.

VegaLA

It's avaialble for the 360 (and PS3?) now though right? Could have sworn I read it was released early last month.

jutl

Quote from: VegaLA on December 13, 2010, 10:01:50 PM
It's avaialble for the 360 (and PS3?) now though right? Could have sworn I read it was released early last month.

This says March 2011.

chand

Quote from: VegaLA on December 13, 2010, 10:01:50 PM

Nope, not out til next year.

VegaLA

Ooooooooooooooh.
Thanks guys, still, something to look forwards to then.

As you were.

thugler

It's got good graphics. Otherwise it played pretty poorly I thought.

AsparagusTrevor

I love Crysis and Crysis Warhead, always have. People mostly seem to coo about the graphics (which are still unsurpassed) but I love feel of the gameplay. I'm a bit sad the game has gone to the default setting of New York City, but hopefully they will take it and do something great.

The Masked Unit

In America they've got Crysis 3 and my dad brought it back for me from Florida, but you can't borrow it cos it's in the loft. You get to kill the Ku Klux Klan in it. They are the main enemy.

VegaLA

Big Jack McBastard

Ta, this might be a one for my birthday.

Crysis3: Hillbilly Assault and the Moonshine Expansion pack.

VegaLA

I DL this last night but did not have time to play it so i'm hoping i'll give it a spin this weekend.

uglybob1986

Quote from: VegaLA on January 28, 2011, 04:21:27 PM
I DL this last night but did not have time to play it so i'm hoping i'll give it a spin this weekend.
I just downloaded it meself, and had the same idea. My tag is in the Xbox live tags thread if you're interested

uglybob1986

I know it's just a multiplayer demo but i'm unimpressed so far. Fun but too much like COD:BO and with worse connection problems. There's seven pages of these on the Xbox live forums already.
http://forums.xbox.com/1/35659340/ShowPost.aspx#35659340

Does anyone still play Far Cry 2? I feel like going back to it. It's stripped down nature filled a largely ignored gap in the FPS market for me. Low-tech setting, wide open, the neverending map-making community and the lack of perks/killstreaks made it so much fun.

VegaLA

I had a quick go on it earlier myself and like you it reminded me of a CoD game.
TXB did review the demo and pointed out its shortcomings but i'm not going to get excited about this one just yet.

mrfridge

Quote from: uglybob1986 on January 29, 2011, 03:28:33 PM
Does anyone still play Far Cry 2?

I've not played it since I finished it about 18 months ago but I really enjoyed it. It's got literally bugger all to do with the first Far Cry but was a fantastic little game in it's own right and despite being a tad repetitive it was a wonderful environment to play through. Are there any plans for a follow-up I wonder??

Zetetic

I think in general it didn't sell very well. Also, while it was brave (and reviewed fairly well, but I still suspect that this is because reviewers don't play things for very long), I found it a pain in the arse to actually want to proceed in it. Lovely environment like you say, and it's hard, given how deeply ingrained the sense of pointlessness is in the plot, not to view the repetitiveness as rather necessary.

madhair60

uglybob1986

Quote from: uglybob1986 on January 29, 2011, 03:28:33 PM
Does anyone still play Far Cry 2?
Thanks for the replies, especially considering this is a Crysis 2 thread!. It's single player was definitely flawed, but the free-roam approach let the player create their own set-pieces, instead of scripted ones like most FPSs. I have gone back to the MP and the community still seems to be going strong. Loving it; the fire!, the night battles where you're aiming at nothing but muzzle flashes!, the lack of any radar or motion tracker keeping me on my toes!, the disorientation of being dropped into a map that I couldn't possibly have memorized beforehand! These are the reasons it's the only MP that's made me genuinely quite scared.
eddyBee1986 if anyone's still up for team deathmatch

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: Zetetic on January 31, 2011, 08:40:40 PM
I think in general it didn't sell very well. Also, while it was brave (and reviewed fairly well, but I still suspect that this is because reviewers don't play things for very long), I found it a pain in the arse to actually want to proceed in it. Lovely environment like you say, and it's hard, given how deeply ingrained the sense of pointlessness is in the plot, not to view the repetitiveness as rather necessary.

Same. I was really disappointed with it, considering how much I enjoyed Far Cry[nb]Ok, Far Cry: Instincts[/nb]. Drive to place, stop at checkpoint and kill people. drive on, get to place, kill people, drive around some more, turn the console off. It had an interesting plot (for a game) and had some good ideas, they just didn't bother making it fun to play. Now Crysis on the other hand, which I'm playing through for the first time now - that really does feel to me like you can create your own setpieces. Am really hoping Crysis 2 can live up to or even improve

Never really played FC2 multiplayer though, sounds good.

Neomod

I loved the environment and it's the sort of game you can take at your own pace. It did get repetitive, too many similar missions but it was great to just admire the countryside.

MP was great too. Did anyone play the waterworld map?

Water-way to go...[nb]FFS[/nb]

VegaLA

I meant to mention there is a new demo out on XBL. I think they knew the last demo was a bit pants and wanted to get something out sharpish to save rep.

Anyone tried it yet? I may get some time over the weekend.

wheatgod

I played the old demo, it was gash as anything.

biggytitbo

Anyone playing this? It's half life 2!

Half Life 2 with better graphics, more stealth and not quite as good gameplay. Still, a quite good Half Life 2 clone is better than most games out there now, and it'll do until Valve finally get off their arses.

The level of angry fothing over Crysis 2 from some of the hardcore PC gaming enthuisiasts has been hilarious![nb]providing you find it funny to watch over-entitled nerds wanking themselves into a fury, anyway.[/nb]

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1805917

jutl

I'm enjoying the single player a lot. It's New York locations are nicely realised and there's a decent level of autonomy concerning how you tackle the problems it sets you.