Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Xbox Arcade games

Started by buntyman, December 14, 2010, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

Quote from: chocky909 on December 30, 2010, 01:34:25 PM
I'm a fan of pinball fx. But I just wish they'd spend more time and effort on the music. It's just lazy to have the same looping music track in the background and there should be different themes for the various challenges starting and stopping when appropriate. Pro-Pinball got it right especially Timeshock. Good to see some pinball love on here though.

Still Not George

Quote from: buntyman on December 29, 2010, 12:46:03 AM
Thanks for locating that, I did some forum searches to no avail. That's saved me from any more pressing buttons at random hoping that one would allow me select player 2. I'm glad I only paid half price for that game and I suppose it does look like it might be quite fun 1 player but I'm still a bit pissed off. There are a lot of games on the xbox that are rubbish that way, forcing a second player to have to sign into a different profile from player 1 to join a game rather than just being able to join like on any other console.

The gamer services system on the 360 is really very well featured and so most devs use it. Unfortunately that does kind of demand a second logged in player. The other problem is leaderboards and achievements; since they're locked to accounts, if there's any of those available from multiplayer you need to use the gamer services system.

There might be something in the requirements doc about not allowing more than one account on the same controller, I'll have a dig and see.

Paaaaul

I'm really enjoying Radian Games's recent spurt of games.
Inferno, Fluid and Crossfire 2 are all excellent slick games for 80 points, and the others aren't too shabby either.

On a slight tangent, why do people seem to care about Achievement points? Do you get a free T-shirt when you get 1,000,000 points, or is it purely an online version of comparing cock-sizes?

buntyman

The whole Gamerscore idea is an interesting one. I didn't understand the point of it at first myself and seeing friend's worringly high tallies made me think of it as something to be a bit ashamed of rather than proud. I have read on forums that there are a lot of people that spend hours playing games they don't even enjoy or are intended for a much lower age group simply because the achievement points are easy to get! I initially thought that these points were linked to the xbox currency system and thought that was a really cool idea but sadly not.
I do now think that these achievement points sometimes help me get more out of a game than I used to though and experience all the main parts that I may otherwise have missed. That said, they're not going to convince me that labourious searching for hidden medals or equivalent is a worthwhile reason to play a game through again.

pk1yen

The nice thing about Gamerscore are the final few harder achievements in each game -- if you love a particular game, it's pretty satisfying to get 100% of the achievements (only one I've managed it for is Halo Reach -- I wanted to do it with Braid, but the final achievement is a speedrun of the entire game in under 45 minutes, and I really can't be arsed). The games you get 100% in are on a separate tab on your profile, which is quite nice.

Utterly pointless having a total point tally, really - because basically, the people with more games have more points. Pretty good strategy on Microsoft's part, to take advantage of obsessive gamers competitive natures, though.
It would be much better if, along with a point total, there was an overall "percentage completed" - to show who was playing their games to death and getting the most of them, and who was renting games, completing the tutorials and the first level for 100 points and then handing them back in. It would even out the fact that buying loads of crap games raises your score. But I guess that would negate the point of making people buy more games.

I reckon a prize of 100 Microsoft points as a prize for 100% in a game would be decent, actually.

Paaaaul

That's as I thought.
I understand that the points in each individual game can help you to wring a bit more gameplay out of them, but found it baffling that people online seem to be looking for cheap copies of My Little Pony to boost their tally.

I can happily write off these people as idiots now.
Thanks!

Paul (6530 Achievement Points)

Custard

Can anyone recommend any decent "Indie" games on Xbox Live?

I bought Bowling X earlier for 80 points, and it's exactly what I'd hoped for - a basic, no frills bowling game I can dip in and out of whenever it takes my fancy.

Also, anyone played The Warriors game on Arcade? Any cop? Goes pretty cheaply, so I be tempted.  Gutted the original Warriors game on Xbox doesn't work on the 360, though.

MojoJojo

http://wosblog.podgamer.com/ occasionally has some indie game recommendations.
http://wosblog.podgamer.com/2011/01/18/6-4-360-4-3-60/ is the latest lot. Haven't actually tried any of them though, my xbox is waiting for a box to send it back to MS in.

Cold Meat Platter

Gravitron is ace if you like Gravitar/Thrust style action with faux-vector graphics and it's only 80 points.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Gravitron360/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855061d

Space ghost

Quote from: Shameless on January 19, 2011, 01:26:00 AM

Also, anyone played The Warriors game on Arcade? Any cop? Goes pretty cheaply, so I be tempted.  Gutted the original Warriors game on Xbox doesn't work on the 360, though.

it's not much cop I'm afraid, certainly nothing like the quality of the rockstar version on the orig xbox.

soz

Custard

Doh! Ahh well, cheers for saving me a few squid

Oh, and cheers fellas for the recommendations!