Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:55:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Office - Christmas Specials

Started by vladyeti, February 07, 2004, 10:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vladyeti

I never watched the Office when it was on TV, for some reason.  I seem to just watch downloaded stuff or DVDs nowadays.

Anyway, I recently watched both series off The Office, and the Christmas Specials.  I remember that there was a big thread on Comedy Chat about these before the site went down, but I didn't read them as I hadn't seen the episodes and didn't want them spoiled.  I intended to read them after watching the eps, but now the thread's gone, so I thought I'd try and start the thread again.

I thought the specials dragged a bit - 30 minutes seems the ideal time for an episode, but longer was a bit too much.  I can't believe how emotionally affected I was by the ending though.  I remember watching Ricky Gervais on the 11 o'clock show, and thinking he was a bit of a cunt (although not as much as Iain Lee), and yet he has managed to write something which moved me profoundly.  I thought that Dawn opening her present in the taxi and then going back to Tim was lovely.

Overall I loved this series.  Not as much as Curb Your Enthusiasm though.

Apparently this guy is going to play David Brent in the US version:

Darrell

Oh no, not this again...

*awaits post avalanche*

nixon

:-)

I though the specials were ace.  Very funny..and I sobbed like a child at the end.

alan strang

Quote from: "nixon":-)

I though the specials were ace.  Very funny..and I sobbed like a child at the end.

"THE MAGISTRATE!!"

vladyeti

QuoteOh no, not this again...

*awaits post avalanche*

Sorry Sir - I missed the thread the first time.  I didn't expect any replies though, as I'm five weeks late.

Quote:-)

I though the specials were ace. Very funny..and I sobbed like a child at the end.

Thank god I wasn't the only one.

pretentious cheese wog

i think i might have been upset, but the blatant and furious 'FUCK OFFS' surrounding turkey pushing seemed to deter initial feeling. i bet gervais' breath fucking reeks. didnt he used to be in 'forgone conclusion' a psuedo-new romantic outfit?

and Animals is shite. maybe he has money, but he could afford some fucking manners and apoligise. cunt.

Purple Tentacle

The Office is the ultimate CaB litmus test, bringing out the worst in both sides.

I must say whenever I see "The Office" in a subject line in The Chuckle Reich I cringe (or "hide behind my sofa" if you will) because I know the inevitable pattern of
"I quite like The Office"
"I hope Ricky Gervaise dies of AIDS"
"Well I think it's OK"
"I think it's the best comedy ever!"
"Yes, I love The Office, funnier than Fawlty Towers!"
"It's a conspiracy by the BBC to make Jane Root the next Prime Minister"
"Well I quite like it"
"You are all cunts and I hope you all die of AIDS"

will come around again.

Hehe, sorry vladyeti, I sound a bit like I'm having a pop at you for starting the thread, I'm really not. And for what it's worth, I thought they were a decent full stop to the series.

Plank

I was a bit peeved that throughout the series Brent was portrayed as a racist, sexist, homophobic cunt that was designed to make you "cringe behind your sofa", and then in the last minutes he was an okay guy because he said the word "fuck" at Finchy and did an impression of Frank Spencer. I just found that hard to swallow is all.

The Christmas specials left me feeling "meh" to a series that raised quite a few chuckles for me.

ApexJazz

well, I don't wish you all to die of AIDS....yet...but I recently watched The Office Christmas specials and they are simply crap (I say this as someone who thought the previous two series were very funny)...I won't bother to get into this, since it must be  "sooooo last century" for you guys now.

butnut

Well, I'm still trying to get over the fact that Munday's Chylde said that he (I'm assuming it's a he) didn't like the Flying Circus over in another thread.

But just to dig all this up again (sorry PT) - I've really tried to like the Office. I've seen about 4 or 5 episodes from both series, and I've been willing myself to laugh but never did. I think it must cast some spell on people, because I've watched it with friends, none of whom, like me*, laughed during the whole show, but after they said it was brilliant. I think Gervais must have special powers that me and a few others are immune to.

*Thank god for commas! My friends do like me