Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:55:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2011 Awards Season

Started by The Duck Man, December 14, 2010, 04:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Duck Man

Golden Globe nominations came out today:

A few of the key categories:
QuoteBest film (drama)
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The King's Speech
The Social Network

Best director
Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
David Fincher - The Social Network
Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
Christopher Nolan - Inception
David O Russell - The Fighter

Best actor (drama)
Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
Colin Firth - The King's Speech
James Franco - 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling - Blue Valentine
Mark Wahlberg -The Fighter

Best actress (drama)
Halle Berry - Frankie and Alice
Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

Best supporting actor
Christian Bale - The Fighter
Michael Douglas - Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
Andrew Garfield - The Social Network
Jeremy Renner - The Town
Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech

Best supporting actress
Amy Adams - The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
Mila Kunis - Black Swan
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Jacki Weaver - Animal Kingdom

Best screenplay
Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy - 127 Hours
Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg - The Kids Are All Right
Christopher Nolan - Inception
David Seidler - The King's Speech
Aaron Sorkin - The Social Network
I've omitted the fairly lightweight "musical or comedy" nominations from which The Kids are Alright and Annette Benning/Julianne Moore in said film are the only ones likely to pick up anything elsewhere. Toy Story 3 is in the best animated category and will probably make the Oscar top ten. The King's Speech leads the way with 7 nominations, followed by The Fighter and The Social Network with 6. Interesting to note 127 hours barely got anything, and Mike Leigh's Another Year and Sofia Coppola's Somewhere aren't nominated at all.

Of the above barely any have been released in the UK yet. I've seen Inception and The Social Network and liked both a lot. I'd fancy the latter to get a few gongs, but I doubt Inception will get anything. The King's Speech seems the hot favourite, with its royal topic being prime Oscar bait. The trailers all look very cosy.

What are Verbwhores looking forward to seeing/think will win?

Ja'moke

I kind of get the feeling that 127 Hours has been overlooked somewhat simply because Boyle dominated the awards season previously with Slumdog Millionaire. Haven't seen the film yet, but really looking forward to it, and would love to see James Franco pick up a Globe, and hopefully an Oscar too.

I've been excited for Black Swan for a while now, I loved The Wrestler, and this seems similar thematically but much more dark and twisted. Plus, Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis lesbian sex, eh lads?!

Out of those listed above, I've only seen The Social Network and Inception, which I really enjoyed, although both had their flaws.

El Unicornio, mang

Apparently Christian Bale is a shoe-in for best supporting actor at the GG's and Oscars, he's been overlooked a few times before so is probably due one. I think Inception is going to clean up in most non-actor categories, and I predict Jesse Eisenberg for best actor. Four actors nominated from one film?? (The Fighter) Is that a record?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 14, 2010, 08:37:19 PM
Fuck Yeah Ryan Gosling
http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/604790/ryan-gosling-addresses-a-certain-internet-meme.jhtml#id=1653867

My opinion of him just went up after that.

I keep getting told via Twitter that the Social Network is picking up all the low-level film awards, so  yay for that. Since seeing Sorkin on the Colbert Report when he came across as a bit of an asshole, I've not been motivated to watch it.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 15, 2010, 07:13:26 AM
http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/604790/ryan-gosling-addresses-a-certain-internet-meme.jhtml#id=1653867

My opinion of him just went up after that.

I felt exactly the same way when I saw that, I love how he just cracks up at "Hey Girl, my shirt fell off." Good that he can laugh at himself.

The Duck Man

2011 Oscar nominations

QuoteBEST PICTURE
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
Winter's Bone
True Grit
The Social Network
Toy Story 3

BEST DIRECTOR
Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
David O Russell - The Fighter
Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
David Fincher - The Social Network
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen - True Grit

BEST ACTOR
Colin Firth - The King's Speech
Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
James Franco - 127 Hours
Javier Bardem - Biutiful
Jeff Bridges - True Grit

BEST ACTRESS
Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christian Bale - The Fighter
John Hawkes - Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner - The Town
Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams - The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit
Jacki Weaver - Animal Kingdom

And here's the 2011 Bafta nominations, which were announced a week or so ago.

EDIT: This thread is the 6th result if you Google "2011 awards season". How odd.

Ja'moke

So, Toy Story 3 actually made the cut for the Best Picture category, interesting. I still think The Social Network will win though.

A.A

I absolutely love the Coen Brothers reaction to receiving 10 nominations for True Grit (after recieving ZERO Golden Globe noms):

Right down the bottom, after paragraphs of gushing from other nominees, they came out with:

• "Ten seems like an awful lot. We don't want to take anyone else's."

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/oscar-nominee-reactions-2011/

They are so awesome.

El Unicornio, mang

SAG award winners

http://www.imdb.com/features/oscars/2011/sags

Basically a carbon copy of the Golden Globe winners

Ja'moke

Looks like The King's Speech could end up taking the Best Picture from under the noses of The Social Network.

Ja'moke

BAFTAS tonight. I've got a couple of outside bets on. I've got Aronofsky to pick up the win for best director, although Fincher is more likely. And I've got Jesse Eisenberg winning best actor over the obvious choice Colin Firth.

Mildly Diverting

Ja'moke

The King's Speech Appreciation Society. Enough already.

Icehaven

My very pleasedness at Tom Hardy getting the Rising Star award was immediately tempered by his not being there. I was already anticipating the suit and everything, bah. Actually he's probably slightly slighted because all the other nominees are 10 years younger than him. Oops, it's dearly departed time, sad face...