Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, December 14, 2010, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yet another trailer for some big film that isn't out for ages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7cALJEwwk

As those more well read than myself (so pretty much anyone) may have gathered it's based on, or at the very least inspired by the book of the same name. Apparently this is a good thing. Other things that I expect will please folk include no Thick and Thin this time, Ian McShane as Blackbeard, and talk of scaling the series back after the other sequels (though personally I enjoyed them more than the first one).

Gore Verbinski is replaced by Rob Marshall. I haven't seen anything he's directed, so I've no idea what effect this'll have, although his filmography includes the likes of Chicago and Memoirs of a Geisha, so presumably he'll have a similar visual flare. I certainly hope they come up with some monsters as good as Davy Jones and his crew.

Famous Mortimer

They at least decided to replace Keira Knightley with someone attractive who can act!

Father O`Blivion

Quote from: wiki page
The plot draws inspiration from the novel On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers, which is the same novel that inspired the LucasArts game, The Secret of Monkey Island

Quote from: wiki page
On October 7, 2009, author Tim Powers confirmed that Disney bought the rights of his novel, On Stranger Tides, back in April 2007.[28] The script was written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, who wrote the entire Pirates trilogy, and Rossio has stated that they will use elements from the novel, particularly Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth, but the film would not be a straight adaptation

I'd assumed the title was just a coincidence but no, it seems old uncle Walt is actually going to take a huge dump on one of my all time favourite novels.
Oh well.

SavageHedgehog

I too enjoyed the sequels more than the first, which is not to say I'd say they were better. A lot of people found the sequels excessive, but I'd say the first was pretty overblown and overlong too. They could have been a series of nice little B-Movies, but as is I'd take the third's wierd mix of bombast and surrealism over the first movie. This trailer doesn't make much of an impression on me, and it almost feels more like a spin-off than a sequel. But I do know someone who knows someone who has a small role in this!

My favourite big budget franchise of the decade, these films. Despite much of the second one. And Orlando Bloom. Although I thought Keira Knightley was pretty good in them, nice balance between the dull swooning heroine and the patronisingly unrealistic 'asskicking period girl' (pun semi-intended). Which is to say that the compromise meant she was neither dull or unrealistic (aside from all the magic &c.)

VegaLA

I was under the impression the 2ND and 3RD movies were universally panned, (I zoned out through the second movie..) and both these movies were shot back to back.
Which is exactly how they will handle the already green lit 5TH and 6TH.

GO PIRATES!