Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

For the attention of Doctor Who fans

Started by Lookalike Mark Chapman, December 16, 2010, 10:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello!

If you like Doctor Who, please read on. If you don't really like Doctor Who, this thread's probably not for you, and to be honest I'm surprised the thread title or that previous sentence didn't put you off.

We've done a fanzine. My boyfriend, myself and a handful of lovely collaborators have cobbled this thing together and put it up online for free. And as there's something of a Who community on here, I thought it might be nice to share it with you guys too. Having checked with Neil first of course. He said yes, by the way.

Anyway. The idea was to celebrate Doctor Who fandom in all its glory – hence the magazine's title, Planet of the Ming Mongs. We wanted it to be fun, silly, affectionate – the kind of thing we would like to read ourselves. I'm credited with the design and graphics, as well as doing some of the more pointless writing.

Amongst the contents are an interview with Doctor Who Magazine illustrator Ben Morris, comic strips, the memoirs of a girl who grew up hating Who , a report from a fan's first convention, and a primary school teacher's thoughts on the effect Doctor Who has had on the children in her class – that last article being illustrated brilliantly by CaB's own Lt Plonker. All that and a load of other in-jokey Who-centric nonsense in between.

We're quite proud of it, all told. It's been out there for a few days now and we've already had some lovely feedback. So if you can find the time to have a look, I hope you enjoy it. Ta.

Planet of the Ming Mongs
http://www.mingmongs.co.uk/

Angst in my Pants

This looks right up my street.  Two pages in an I'm impressed, laughing and squeeing already - lovely stuff!

mycroft

Really lovely stuff Lookalike, will pass it on to similarly-minded Who folk.

Phil_A

Splendid stuff. I was won over by the time I'd got to the spoof ad featuring Samuel L Jackson as Nicholas Briggs, but luckily the rest of it was good as well!

I think mycroft wins "most appropriate avatar" for this thread.

Still Not George

I absolutely love the RTD emails and the Lawrence Miles cartoon. Good work all round.

tisonlyme

sirhenry

I had a few problems turning the pages, so congratulations on making it so realistic.

Robot DeNiro

Great work. 
Spoiler alert
"At a recent book-signing, Colin Baker released a fragrance"
[close]
made me laugh a lot.

Wow. Thank you for your comments, everyone. We've been really chuffed with the feedback so far, the best possibly being from Gareth Roberts on twitter.

If you are having trouble viewing it in the pageflip software (which it was designed for) there is also a PDF you can download here - http://www.mingmongs.co.uk/POTMM.pdf - which should hopefully also help the disappointed iPad users, tagger! (Google analytics shows us that we have had some iPad users access the site).

If you're interested, we've also got a Facebook page, twitter and Just Giving (for my dad's charity, Myeloma UK).

Thanks again for reading!

Tokyo Sexwhale

Bloody hell! I was expecting a couple of pages - but it's bloody epic!

I'll have a proper read later, but I liked what I'd read.

Is there a thread on Gallifrey Base yet?

Ambient Sheep

You talented, talented bastards.  :-)

I read it cover to cover earlier today, when I really should have been doing other things entirely.  Brilliant stuff from cover-to-cover.  I don't wish to pick any single one bit out for special praise, for fear of upsetting anyone; besides which, it's all pretty much uniformly excellent!

Congratulations!

Quote from: mycroft on December 16, 2010, 02:29:24 PM
will pass it on to similarly-minded Who folk.

Thank you, please do!

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on December 16, 2010, 09:08:44 PM
Is there a thread on Gallifrey Base yet?

I'm not a poster there, but there is one started by my boyfriend, buried in the fanzines sub-sub-subforum. We're aiming to get it on the newspage although Lord knows how. It has turned up on a few Who blogs and the Forbidden Planet site, which is nice.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 17, 2010, 12:33:52 AM
You talented, talented bastards.  :-)

For some reason I was particularly looking forward to you seeing this. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Mister Six

That is properly brilliant. The reveal of 'Tim' alone got a massive guffaw out of me. You should send it to Gallifrey News Base's, er, news pages.

EDIT: Oh.

Angst in my Pants

This really is quite the thing, well done again.  The John Barrowman Advent Calendar is hilarious.  Well, it all is really.

Do join that facebook group for extra content - there are some really funny status updates, the current SJA/Clyde update just made me GUFFAW.

Captain Mildred

Excellent stuff LMC!
Does this mean you know Suthers?

I don't, my boyfriend go in touch with him through the GB forum (I think) and we asked them to contribute a page. He basically asked people he found funny or interesting if they fancied helping us out. Garr and Suthers are apparently keen to be more involved if we do another one, and are being very lovely supporting us now it's out.

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on December 17, 2010, 01:01:57 PM
Do join that facebook group for extra content

Yes, please do! http://bitURL.net/POTMMFB

Captain Mildred

Ah, ok - was a colleague of Suthers for years.
Yes, he's very enthusiastic about this, he was banging on about it to me last week - now I understand why.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on December 16, 2010, 10:24:19 AM
If you don't really like Doctor Who, this thread's probably not for you,

Is anything else, anywhere, these days?

There are many threads not about Doctor Who, yes. I think this one is labelled fairly clearly.

Quote from: Captain Mildred on December 19, 2010, 05:42:53 PM
Yes, he's very enthusiastic about this, he was banging on about it to me last week - now I understand why.

He's been great. Promoting us on twitter, etc. Nice chap.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on December 19, 2010, 07:57:30 PM
There are many threads not about Doctor Who, yes.

Doesn't stop the fans bringing it up in said threads, though. Or trailers for the fucking thing every ten seconds on the BBC.

You appear to have come into this one voluntarily though.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Jake Thingray on December 19, 2010, 07:52:41 PM
Is anything else, anywhere, these days?

Okay, look, we worked hard for ten months on this thing.

Perhaps when you've put a load of work into something and start a thread about it somewhere, let me know so I can come along and criticise you for having created something about a topic I'm not interested in.

Or rather, I wouldn't, because to do so would be mean, disruptive, and unfair.

Tokyo Sexwhale

How about an interview with Jake for issue 2?

Dark Sky

You know what, that could be really interesting! 

(I'm not even joking!)

I still say we should hold out for Lawrence Miles.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Dark Sky on December 19, 2010, 08:48:36 PM

so I can come along and criticise you for having created something about a topic I'm not interested in.

It's not a topic I'm not interested in, it's a topic that ruined my life. Twice.

Tokyo Sexwhale

"Doctor Who Ruined My Life.  Twice!"

It's writing itself!

Hardly the thread for you, then.

Difficult to believe, perhaps, but in over a thousand unique views in the week since it's been online, yours is the first negative reaction we've had. I appreciate it's more about your feelings towards the show than towards the fanzine, but why tell us? Without knowing the situation fully - and please feel free to share - I would guess that the show itself hasn't ruined and subsequently re-ruined your life - more the reactions of other people to it and your reactions to those reactions.

For our part, we love the show unironically, and in a horrible year this has been a project to give us something to focus on, a goal to aim for, a thing to be proud of. Let us get on with it, eh.

Jake Thingray

I had hoped it might have been started with satirical intent. God knows, "the show" as you lot call it, as though no other show exists, must be about ready for a backlash by now.

You are a one man backlash! God knows a lot of people don't like Doctor Who, or are indifferent to it. Over the years it's been at times little more than a joke. But we like it. And there is satirical intent, but it's affectionate too.