Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films which you've never seen and really ought to have by now

Started by HappyTree, December 17, 2010, 11:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
The Grapes of Wrath
Forrest Gump
Iron Man 2

Ok, there is an odd man out in there :-p

Custard

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

I actually downloaded it once, but it was the 19-hour extended versions, so i still haven't bothered.

It just looks so mince. Here's a ring, let's walk with it, for miles, and then go home or die or summat. Gollum looks like a cunt, too

An tSaoi

The Usual Suspects. Of course I've known about the infamous ending for years so there's really no point watching it.

small_world

Gone With The Wind
Casablanca
The Grapes Of Wrath
The Godfather (any of them)
Raging Bull
Seven (se7en?)
2001 (I've seen it in bits, never start to finish)
Citizen Kane
Goodfellas
Momento
A Clockwork Orange (seen most of it, but not in one go)
Scarface

I've also never had a
Nando's 
Toby Carvery (big up here, I don't know about the rest of the country)
Subway (once a salad) Just too confusing to order.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: An tSaoi on December 18, 2010, 02:14:03 AM
The Usual Suspects. Of course I've known about the infamous ending for years so there's really no point watching it.
The film itself is just really good, you know. It's not all the ending.

Er...

Raging Bull
Casablanca

HappyTree

Ah yes, The Godfather. Never seen any of them and I probably never will. Unfortunately I have seen Scarface, one of the most tedious films I've ever had to suffer.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: An tSaoi on December 18, 2010, 02:14:03 AM

I wouldn't worry about that, I've seen it about six times and still enjoy it

Johnny Townmouse

This list is huge in some ways, and in others not so much. It's all about context and there are films I really should have seen because they are connected to Directors that I either love, or have written on, or both. Therefore, it shames me to say that I have never seen the following:

Baron Munchausen
The Age of Innocence
Russian Ark
Black Narcissus
Jules et Jim
The 400 Blows
The Idiots
Dial M for Murder

There are tons of others, but those are the ones that prey on my mind the most. Actually, I left off one: Annie Hall. For shame.

HappyTree

Annie Hall!!!!!!1!

You have a treat in store tonight, then. Get thee to a torrent tout de suite!

Serge

You should definitely check out 'Russian Ark' - absolutely brilliant.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of crossover with the 'Piles' thread here for me - stuff I've bought over the years and never got around to for various reasons. For instance - 'Solaris'. I really need to set aside some time to watch that, seeing as I forked out for it. Not to mention the Ozu box set I bought because I'd heard so many good things about 'Tokyo Story'.

Still - the copy of 'Flash Gordon' that I ordered from Amazon just turned up, so I might finally get around to seeing that properly over christmas.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Serge on December 18, 2010, 01:34:12 PM
You should definitely check out 'Russian Ark' - absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, it's insane that I haven't seen that. I even have it on DVD. Maybe I will make time for it this weekend.

QuoteUnfortunately, there's a lot of crossover with the 'Piles' thread here for me - stuff I've bought over the years and never got around to for various reasons. For instance - 'Solaris'. I really need to set aside some time to watch that, seeing as I forked out for it. Not to mention the Ozu box set I bought because I'd heard so many good things about 'Tokyo Story'.

Solaris, of course as I have said, is a wonderful yet flawed film. I think it does very well under a second viewing where some of the jarringly dated imagery of the retro-futurist costume and sets become less troublesome.

Tokyo Story for me is up there with one of the greats. I think the trilogy unfortuntely peaks with the first film, but in terms of showing the sadness of old age it is untouchable. Also, Ozu's brave technique of deferring some of the most emotional and key scenes is a masterstroke in this film. It leaves you to imagine scenes that other director's could never even imagine leaving out of a film.

Emma Raducanu

I've not seen the vast majority of what laurel and hardy made. What I have seen has been amazing but I really should have seen more. Funny that, because I bought my grandparents their entire works last Christmas.

Catalogue Trousers

The Wild Bunch
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (usually tune out after the opening credits, for some reason)
Raging Bull
Deliverance (only ever seen chunks of this, never the whole thing)
Amelie
Porco Rosso

Edit:

So, this thread was started yesterday, yet whichever wag just keeps putting "2 Girls 1 Cup" on all of these film threads somehow has an ID below the tagging amnesty threshold. What are THAT all about,eh???

AsparagusTrevor

vrailaine

North by Northwest,
Shadow of a Doubt,
Rashomon (but not the Seventh Samurai cos it's just to f*cking long),
The Silence,
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly,
other big westerns,
Love and Death,
something by Tarkovsky,
something by Peckinpah,
something by Renoir,
something by Cassavetes,
Un Chien Andalou (which I'm terrified of),
Badlands,
Brief Encounter,
Riget (not a film, I know).

Basically, I'm never going to get to see all the ones I wanna see, if I was near some place that had seasons of old films and such, I'd probably get through a lot more cos I don't have the attention span for subtitles or slow pacing at home.

Quote from: vrailaine on December 18, 2010, 08:36:32 PM
Rashomon (but not the Seventh Samurai cos it's just to f*cking long)

Thank you for reminding me of the existence of Seven Samurai. It's absolutely everything it's talked up to be. Wonderful, expansive, warm, funny, brutal, gentle, intellectual, visceral, the spectrum of human existence.

vrailaine

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 18, 2010, 08:41:58 PM
Thank you for reminding me of the existence of Seven Samurai. It's absolutely everything it's talked up to be. Wonderful, expansive, warm, funny, brutal, gentle, intellectual, visceral, the spectrum of human existence.
But wayyyy too long for my shite mind to handle.

Saucer51

Citizen Caine
Gone with the wind
None of the Lord of the Rings
None of the Star Treks
None of the Star wars
Raging Bull
Dr Strangelove
Lavender Hill Mob
King and I
Toy Story
Shrek
Finding Nemo
Get Carter
Annie Hall
French Lieutenants Woman

But like many people, I can quote certain soundbites from some of these movies as we do rather get forcefed them in the media.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

None of the Matrix movies
Nothing by Godard
Nothing by Fellini
Nothing by Kurosawa
Nothing by Cassavetes
The Bicycle Thieves

In short, I am a classic world cinema dunce.

Dark Sky

Saving Private Ryan

Can't be bothered, plus I'm worried it'll upset me

Jaws
Labyrinth
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Any CGI film since Monsters Inc.
Tron
It's a Wonderful Life
Beauty and the Beast

Watching the first five minutes of Seven Samurai took me back about five years to when I bought about twelve Kurosawa films and hammered them. All of them are incredible. The Hidden Fortress, Rashomon, Ikiru, Kagemusha, Throne of Blood...God. The atmosphere and pacing is so wonderful. Even the super long ones fly by, the worlds he constructs are so wonderful.

I once dumped a girl for saying Ran was shit. How could I possibly betray myself by spending life with a creature like that?

I'm more of a clout sell-out these days but I was absolutely right to bin the fucking dunce.

Dark Sky

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 19, 2010, 10:56:08 PM
I once dumped a girl for saying Ran was shit. How could I possibly betray myself by spending life with a creature like that?

Aw you're never going to love me :( 

My most extreme reaction was to block someone on MSN for saying that Halloween was shit.

I'm a lot mellower, now, and would merely grind my teeth and smile politely and murmur, "well everyone can have their own views".

Just don't get me started on Inception.  Obviously.

papalaz4444244

A lot of this might be attributed to the fact that TV stations rarely show any films more than about 20 years old these days. When was the last time you saw a Laurel and Hardy on BBC for instance?

Still not seen Citizen Kane though. Basically because it looks a bit shite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Blade Runner
Chinatown

I always seem to miss them.

I'm using 'ought to have' as meaning 'want to'.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on December 19, 2010, 11:35:37 PM
A lot of this might be attributed to the fact that TV stations rarely show any films more than about 20 years old these days. When was the last time you saw a Laurel and Hardy on BBC for instance?

Around ten years ago on BBC2 as far as I can recall. It genuinely saddens me that kids are growing up without Stan and Ollie on TV. Their absence from telly is due to the bullshit assumption that nobody under 85 can cope with old black and white films anymore, isn't it? Tell you what TV nabobs, why not show some and let the audience decide for themselves?

Still not seen Citizen Kane though. Basically because it looks a bit shite.

It's not shite by any means. However, it can't possibly live up to the "greatest film ever" hype, so it will always seem overrated to anyone coming to it for the first time. And by "anyone" I do of course mean me personally.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 20, 2010, 12:32:55 AM
Around ten years ago on BBC2 as far as I can recall. It genuinely saddens me that kids are growing up without Stan and Ollie on TV. Their absence from telly is due to the bullshit assumption that nobody under 85 can cope with old black and white films anymore, isn't it? Tell you what TV nabobs, why not show some and let the audience decide for themselves?
I know it sounds like "old guy talk" but there genuinely WAS a greater variety of material on TV probably up to the 90s.

We have dozens of free channels available today but when do you see a season of Woody Allen movies, or Jean-Luc Goddard or soviet science fiction movies and yet I remember when those actual things were shown on terrestrial TV. I'm so fucking glad I saw these things at the time.

non capisco

A lot of this might be attributed to the fact that TV stations rarely show any films more than about 20 years old these days. When was the last time you saw a Laurel and Hardy on BBC for instance?.

Probably about five years ago when they'd show loads of the shorts on BBC2 around this time of the year. I miss that, much the same as I miss Warner Bros cartoons being used as ten minute fillers.