Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:06:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

non-"chick flick" films about women?

Started by loveable bobbi bundles, December 27, 2010, 02:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

Jackie Brown
Monster
Dancer In The Dark
Breaking The Waves
Belle de Jour
Mulholland Drive
INLAND EMPIRE

BlodwynPig

alcoholic messiah

These are the first three that sprang to mind, that fulfil the criteria of being "decent films about people, who happen to be female":

The Spitfire Grill (1996)
Young woman fresh out of prison tries to start again in a small town, and has as much of an effect on the town's occupants as they do on her.

La vie rêvée des anges (1998)
Two young women with few prospects in life trying to get by in squalid conditions. A sort of gallic cross between Mike Leigh's Naked and Midnight Cowboy.

I've Loved You So Long (2008)
Mature woman fresh out of prison moves in with her younger sister (and her family), and tries to reconnect with them and rejoin society.

All three have main characters that pass the STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER test on the Female Character Flowchart (link leads to LARGE image).

I might come up with some less grim examples in time...

wheatgod

lipsink

Skip Bittman

Most of the films John Cassavetes made -- Minnie & Moskowitz, A Woman Under the Influence, Love Streams, Faces, and my favorite: Opening Night. Go watch it right now.

Zero Gravitas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crttUtz-zmw

With the most wonderful trailer at the start, God I wish autoplay was enabled.

Madison

Does Thelma and Louise count as a chick-flick, just because women like it? Interesting quote from the writer here

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0451884/bio#quotes

about the ending, which is a bit unfeminist-y if you think about it too much.

Catalogue Trousers

Borderline and arguable, but I'd throw in The Witches Of Eastwick. And Johnny Guitar.

Queneau

How could I forget Mildred Pierce? I was reminded of it because somebody mentioned The Last Seduction. Both excellent films.

lipsink

The Good Girl

Are the Three Colours films considered 'chick flick's?

Tiny Poster

You can't beat pretty much everything Tennessee Williams wrote.

Madison

Whatever happened to Baby Jane, of course.

wasp_f15ting

Watch the bandit queen for a bit of female hero action.

Johnny Yesno

Absorb the anus burn

Dream Life Of Angels & Antonia's Line are terrific.

Jumble Cashback

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on December 27, 2010, 05:36:01 PM

Lilya-4ever

I used to have a policy with first dates that I'd take them to see a film neither of us had heard anything about.  I stopped this after taking a girl to see Lilya-4ever.  Not a date movie, folks.  How I managed to get her to make out during it, I'll never know.

Icehaven