Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

James Blake

Started by Vitalstatistix, December 29, 2010, 12:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

First proper LP leaked last week.

I made the mistake of listening to this on the train with shitty little earphones, and was underwhelmed.

Now back home, cranking on a proper system... Fuuuck Yeeeah.

Kid's got mad skills. Soulful, sparse, mysterious. And when the bass occasionally kicks, thick and gorgeous.

This record is really, really growing on me. Obviously much more vocal-based than his (superb) EPs. Yeah, it works. He's got a bloody good voice. Kind of... posh without being annoying.

Anyway. There's a lot of hype around this guy, and it's only going to get bigger when publications start reviewing this shit. But.. it's pretty deserved so far. Looovely stuff.

Tonight, proper headphones listen.. :)

Any fans?

Subtle Mocking

Have to thank you for bringing my attention to this. Got this firing out of my Bose headphones now, it's fucking heavenly.

DJ One Record

Pitchforkmedia voted this the 8th best track of the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBsJ09RhqZw

And fair play to them. I've yet to delve much deeper into James Blake's work yet, but this one I've been playing pretty regularly. Burial is a name that's been mentioned a fair bit in comparison, and in terms of the use of space, fractured vocals and addictive fragments of melody go, it's pretty apt, albeit in a different context. There's something even more stark and isolated about "I Only Know", where Burial's stuff has more of a drone and a 2-step garage skip to it.

Can't wait to hear the album.

vrailaine

It's okay, I'm gonna give it a good few more chances to grow on me.

Gradual Decline

God, I don't like the direction he's taken, it's all very samey. Far too Nu Soul for me.

PaulTMA

Woah, Pitchfork rated it that highly?  *rescues it from the recycle bin*   Album of the year!

alan nagsworth

I've only heard 'Limit To Your Love' (because I'm always dubious about stuff that gets loads of hype coverage, purely as a kneejerk reaction I should work on changing but don't much give a shit about) and to be honest I thought it was a load of bollocks. I wouldn't describe it as sparse or mysterious at all. Cold and lifeless? That's more like it. I don't get why people obsess off over so much shit music like Blake and Burial when the stuff that followed in its wake like Julio Bashmore and the Night Slugs record label are quite obviously better.

Burial is shit. I appreciate the textures and his excellent use of percussion sounds but anyone who tries to deny all his songs are the same is an idiot. I have tried so hard to appreciate the effect his music has on other people but god it's so fucking boring. I get the feeling James Blake will provoke the same reaction in time. Dull.

Vitalstatistix

God, I am loving this album. If you can't enjoy something because it's hyped I feel sorry for you. Not you specifically Nags. Ok, well a little ;)

Get the record, spend some quality time with it. It's unusual and beautiful. It takes risks.

His sound reminds me of Bon Iver, if he had recorded an album in Bristol.

vrailaine

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on December 29, 2010, 09:35:33 PM
His sound reminds me of Bon Iver, if he had recorded an album in Bristol.
Basically my opinion of most the stuff I've heard, yeah.

I really like Burial though

Subtle Mocking

Pitchfork gave the album a 9.0 today, which I really don't agree with. It's a quite cold, calculated album, really predictable, nothing new. Plus another fine example of the broken Pitchfork scoring system, which implies that this album is better than Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma. Which it bloody isn't.

Pseudopath

BUMP: New song. Amazeballs[nb]I don't even use that term in everyday parlance.[/nb]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6PcFFUm5I

nickopedia

There's been about 4 songs leaked from the new album, and all sound absolutely incredible.

niat

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 23, 2013, 12:11:39 AM
BUMP: New song. Amazeballs[nb]I don't even use that term in everyday parlance.[/nb]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6PcFFUm5I

Amazeballs indeed. Lovely stuff.

alan nagsworth

Wow I was a real bell end up there in 2010 wasn't I? Crikey.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 23, 2013, 05:20:53 PM
Wow I was a real bell end up there in 2010 wasn't I? Crikey.

It was a tough time for all of us. And Burial is shit.

Funcrusher

Burial might be a bit shit these days, but not back in the day. James Blake's shit.

gabrielconroy

Burial's not shit, you mentalists.

Subtle Mocking

Burial's good in small doses.

Funcrusher

At least Burial doesn't have a shit name like James Blake.

alan nagsworth

Burial is actually incredible. I've come around to loving everything he's ever put out and the new stuff is just as fresh and beautiful to me, as a logical expansion on his sound.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 24, 2013, 11:29:16 AM
Burial is actually incredible. I've come around to loving everything he's ever put out and the new stuff is just as fresh and beautiful to me, as a logical expansion on his sound.

Exactly. The depth of emotional expression, and the subtlety of rhythmic variations and the fact that it's just so well done means he's good in small doses and better in larger ones.