Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue Jam

Started by Pepotamo1985, January 01, 2011, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepotamo1985

Recently I've been revisiting a lot of Morris radio stuff, and I'm absolutely gobsmacked by how fucking brilliant Blue Jam is. I used to be a dedicated R1 show mark, but I'm coming round to the opinion that this is the pinnacle of Morris' comic achievement, on the radio or otherwise. Each ep is a beautiful, hilarious capsule of mind altering genius, andcan sicken, unsettle, amuse and mystify. The music is great, of course, and has inspired me to track down a fair amount of 90s electronic music.

As with all great Morris stuff, there's a tremendous attention to detail, and his enthusiasm for his craft radiates through every aspect of the show. By series 3 it was laboured as hell, but so what? That's 12 plus hours of tip top comedy. And you can get it all for free, from this lovely website.

So yeah. Discuss Blue Jam, motherfuckers.

Note, must not descend into a poo slinging fest revolving around the notion that Jam is shit. Or an all night rave.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Yes Blue Jam is some of my favourite Morris work. Ambitious, original and terrifyingly funny.

I'll be back to discuss bits later.

Cambrian Times

I haven't listen to Blue Jam for ages. I've been meaning to transfer them off my old computer for yonks, but never got round to it.

The monologues are the best bits IMHO.

TedMaul101

I fucking LOVE Blue Jam,I do's.Got all 3 series on my mp3 player,thanks to this site. I listen to them when I'm in work on 12 hour nights. I take comfort in their familiarity now,the disturbing stuff blunted from repeated listens.I GET them,if you know what I mean. From sublime use of music to a real sense of the absurd,this is some of my favourite CM material. Faves?
1) Michael Alexander St John's club news/dance charts." Did God just fart on my decks?"
2) Unemployed Welshmen.Never fails to make me laugh out loud."Why does the hill go up?"
3) The monologues. Soothing tones and ambient music hide the deep weirdness of the stories." I've got a transmittable pilot. 'Serves you right,you fucking poof.'"
4) Rothko deserves singular praise."I hate them now,the ducks" *fade in 'Ray Of Light' by Madonna.(hate the song but the use is inspired)
5) Intro/Outros.Just what the fuck is going on? "When you frootsack be bootsack" " Like oo sissyblubberweeps" " ...Like a mimmy mim" Really adds to the "Spooky/woozy" vibe.
A lot of other little faves too.The big builder,Bad Sex and Mr Lizard and so on.
However,not too fond of Bad Doctor though. Bit dull.
Blue Jam. Good for what ails ya.....

Depressed Beyond Tables

Neighbours with lions and landmines. David Cann is brilliant.

"Jesus he's fucked! He's gas."

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on January 17, 2011, 11:04:40 PM
Neighbours with lions and landmines. David Cann is brilliant.

"Jesus he's fucked! He's gas."

Been listening to that sketch on repeat purely for that line.

David Cann really is bloody wonderful, I'd love to see him in more. Despite being a card carrying Conservative he seems like a nice bloke too.

Artemis

Cann is what makes Blue Jam so special for me; his performances demonstrate such comic knack, they're amazing. One of my favourite bits is the sketch where he's refused alcohol from an off-license then goes outside to announce it to the world, getting only abuse back from the passing public, culminating in the line "yeah, and you too - go on, fuck off!"

That said each of the cast have arguably never been as good as in this utterly bizarre but truly wonderful little slice of radio.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Gonna have to get back to listening to these. Played it last thing every night on a pirate radio station me and a mate had years ago. It seemed like an obvious choice.

Mark Heap wanting to get in with the rhinos cracks me up every time. Especially when he starts going on about "bloody bastards".

kidsick5000

Had a flight to Los Angeles recently which is 16+hours each way.
The entire series was lying forgotten on my ipod. So I listened from start to finish.

The monologues are just perfection and deserve having their own release.
I've grown to love the doctor sketches. Both the very ambient "doctor doctor",
aand the bad doctor sketches. Two favourites are the one where he tells off the other doctor calling him a "roaring purple vagina" and the one where he thinks the little girl is a freak of nature.

Other favourites are the horses playing Kraftwerk and the man having an argument with the birds

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 05, 2011, 07:39:11 PM
and the one where he thinks the little girl is a freak of nature.

The highlight for me is the resolve in his voice when he says 'Pinhead dwarf, thats what it is'.

Retinend

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on February 07, 2011, 01:43:26 PMMark Heap wanting to get in with the rhinos cracks me up every time. Especially when he starts going on about "bloody bastards".

One of my favourites too. Heap is indeed fantastic. I like the idea of the character being so removed from the value of money that he's amused by its affect on others. I like to imagine that one day he saw all the money he had and suddenly realised that he never worried about the exact number at all, and had completely run out of things he actually wanted to use the money for; somehow snapping in the middle of these thoughts. The way he offers the money as if he's not really sure how you exchange cash for goods and services is very funny.

I recommend reading a short book by Terry Southern called 'The Magic Christian' which is great and has a similar (though slightly more sane) character.

kidsick5000

Another of Mark Heap's are the services like clearing pockets or tying a tie.
Not funny, but comfortable and fascinating as you can imagine such places existing for those upper class twits unable to do many if any practical things in life

tygerbug

the long awaited my little pony crossover event