Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:44:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone done a Final Year Presentation?

Started by 5 Knuckle Shuffle, May 22, 2004, 11:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Knuckle Shuffle

I've done a dissertation and it's my FYP presentation on Monday morning. To be fair, although nervous about talking to a load of people, I really couldn't care less anymore because I want to get back out into the big wide world again and start earning some cash again. Why did I choose further education at my stage of life is beyond me? Anyway, has anyone done a FYP presentation? What's there to expect? I've read the vague outline what they want from you, but if it's as simple as I can make out, why the fuck is it worth 30% of your degree?

Go on, give me some horror stories. I know I probably won't get much feedback yet because I know all you lovely students out there are probably still in bed, but I'm up early because I've got my daughter in a bit and can't afford to lounge about all day in bed.

Doctor Stamen

Don't panic - if it's the same as mine then the presentation counts for very little.  I completely messed mine up (i hate speaking in front of large groups of people) and spent most of the summer worrying about it, then found out i'd got 75% for my project which gave me a 2:1.

Mr Flunchy

Ah presentations are a piece of piss.

Just make some fancy Powerpoint thing and jabber about the following.

1.  Why you chose to do your dissertation on what you did.
2. How you researched it.
3. How you wrote it.
4. Any problems.
5. Any questions?

Bing Bam it's over.

chumfatty

I've never done a FYP but have had to do many presentations and I usually work on the rule of

Tell them what your going tell them
Tell them
Then tell them what you've just told them.

Good luck.

Jaffa The Cake

I did a presentation in a recent job interview which got me the position. My slides didn't work because they had an earlier version of powerpoint, so that's something to watch out for.

My main tip:

Don't be afriad to use humor. If they laugh, it'll reduce the tension and you'll be able to relax and therefore present better. However, if you say something that's supposed to be funny and no one laughs it'll have the complete opposite effect, you'll get very nervous.

bresker

Remember to throw in a few puns and quips so that you stand out. Wearing a novelty twirling bow tie or outsized clown slippers will help too.

Remember to throw in a few boasts and examples of your glorious achievements. It doesn't matter if these are nothing to do with the subject at hand as you can usually work them in with a bit of imagination. I once impressed the delegates at the 3rd International Denistry Convention by mentioning the winning goal I scored in the final of the under eights five-a-side tournament at the Lakeland leisure centre during a presenation on "Practical Application of Dentofacial Plus© Video Imaging in Practice."

When you've finished remember to bow before your lecturer and kiss his/her wrists in a submissive fashion. Then roll onto your back so that he/she can tickle your belly. This will show that you are passive and do not offer any physical threat.

Interrupt other students presentations by shining a laser pen in their eyes, but you must do this unobtrusively to avoid unpleasantness.

If you can afford it, hire some audio-visual experts to help make your presentaion distinctive. I livened up a presentation  on "Modified Cavity Preparations for Composites in Primary Molars - Results After 6 Months" to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry by employing the stage crew responsible for the visual accompaniments  at Pink Floyd's gig at Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, New York,on February 28, 1980. This was of course part of  "The Wall" tour of that era. They constructed a set of dentures that was made up of approximately 450 cardboard bricks that were 5 feet long, 2 1/2 feet high and 1 1/2 feet deep. The teeth themselves stood approximately 30 feet in height and 150 feet wide across the front of a stage made from actual tooth enamel. It was quite a success.

bresker

This is a really good way to start your presentation and make your audience feel at ease:

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the final year presentations. My name is Five Knuckle Shuffle and we are going to have a fine time this afternoon. I ask you, please enjoy the show from your seats, so that security won't hassle you. Then everything will be all right. My mouth is setting up and will be ready to go soon. Halfway through the presentation, there'll be a 5 minute intermission, which will give you a chance to buy some  refreshments. Now, because of the nature of the presentation, I ask you, please, do not use flash cameras. Unfortunately, they will be confiscated. And please, if your bag is blocking the corridor or an emergency exit, put it in a place, where it will do no one any harm. Well, I think my mouth is about ready to go. No, not quite yet, not quite yet. My mind has also something very important, my mind has asked me, that you refrain from using anything like fireworks. Ah, it would like you to be able to hear the words and the ideas that it has created. If there are disturbing distractions in the lecture theatre, it will only bother and distract the many people who are come here to watching here the fantastic presentation you are about to witness. So please no fireworks. Believe me, there'll be enough explosions in your mind. So, I think that my mouth is about ready to go now. So, in a minute, I will start the show and I think my mouth is about ready to go now ..."

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "bresker"I ask you, please enjoy the show from your seats, so that security won't hassle you.

Heh. I like that bit. *yoink*

Papercut

Take a bottle of water with you. If you get nervous, take a swig to calm yourself down.

Worked for me.

Pinball

Quote from: "bresker"If you can afford it, hire some audio-visual experts to help make your presentaion distinctive. I livened up a presentation  on "Modified Cavity Preparations for Composites in Primary Molars - Results After 6 Months" to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry by employing the stage crew responsible for the visual accompaniments  at Pink Floyd's gig at Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, New York,on February 28, 1980. This was of course part of  "The Wall" tour of that era. They constructed a set of dentures that was made up of approximately 450 cardboard bricks that were 5 feet long, 2 1/2 feet high and 1 1/2 feet deep. The teeth themselves stood approximately 30 feet in height and 150 feet wide across the front of a stage made from actual tooth enamel. It was quite a success.
Class :-))

Still Not George

Always remember - a cunt with a notepad is still just a cunt with a notepad.

Pinball

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"I've done a dissertation and it's my FYP presentation on Monday morning. To be fair, although nervous about talking to a load of people, I really couldn't care less anymore because I want to get back out into the big wide world again and start earning some cash again. Why did I choose further education at my stage of life is beyond me? Anyway, has anyone done a FYP presentation? What's there to expect? I've read the vague outline what they want from you, but if it's as simple as I can make out, why the fuck is it worth 30% of your degree?

Go on, give me some horror stories. I know I probably won't get much feedback yet because I know all you lovely students out there are probably still in bed, but I'm up early because I've got my daughter in a bit and can't afford to lounge about all day in bed.
Best of luck 5KS! I'm sure everything will go fine. Here's a ppt on presentation skills ;-)

bresker

QuoteAlways remember - a cunt with a notepad is still just a cunt with a notepad.

But do try and keep these thoughts to yourself. If you mention this during your presentation, you may lose marks.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "Pinball"Here's a ppt on presentation skills ;-)

Cheers me ol' mucker, that was quite a helpful website, and the rest of you too. I seem to have got by pretty much okay besides my business/marketing side of things, but other than that, they seemed to be impressed with my inane ramblings.
Ta muchly!!