Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Today's experiment...Failed." Excel Saga [anime]

Started by Pedro_Bear, January 02, 2011, 05:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Quote from: Pedro_Bear on January 17, 2011, 01:30:03 AM

(With regards to Madoka)

I'm hesitant about starting this, I've read it's a tragedy? Like, bad ending tragedy? Going to lurk around until the final episode just in case, Shaft are sneaky.

Well, given the tone I reckon at least one girl is going to be dead by the end of the series. But it's quite trippy, and even very amusing in places. Many of the Shinbo boxes have already been ticked. Originally my pick of the season, but it's getting some strong competition from late comer Fractale.

Big Jack McBastard

Again thanks for the suggestions everything so far has been great.

Just finished with MariaHolic and am glad a second season is on the way (I spent ages looking for a copy of ep 12 that actually worked and was subbed but finally nabbed a decent torrent last night), now starting on Gin Tama, halfway through the Jump Fiesta Pilot and liking it a lot, the My Neighbour Toroto parody took me by surprise and got a hearty laugh, I do like the way it's going already, setting up it's weird world and the misfits in it quite well.

I've got all of Arakawa Under the Bridge, Mahromatic, Gin Tama (200 eps? blimey), both series of K-ON!, Mitsodomoe, Hayate no Gotoku and Pani Poni Dash downloaded and waiting too.

Just as well I have January off and recently installed 3 new hard drives eh?

Think I'll hold off on Gosick till there's a bit of a backlog and then watching them in a block, I'm already sick of snapping up every half decent western cartoon the day after it airs.

Once again I have a glut of stuff to see, my 'To watch' DVD spindle was getting a bit thin for a moment there.

Consignia

Not every episode of Gintama is a hit but some of the episodes, especially towards the end, are some of the funniest bits of anime I've ever seen. What's interesting about Gintama is that it airs in a kids slot (18.30 just before golden hour, Japan's primetime, same time as things like Bleach and Doraemon) but it gets away with blood and lewdness that is isn't allowed by some networks in the late night Otaku slots. Oh, and don't worry about there only being 201 episodes, there is more coming in April.

In fairness, Hayate no Gotoku aired in an even younger slot, 10.30 on a Sunday morning, just after Sesame Street, and that gets away with quite a lot.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Flandre on January 10, 2011, 06:07:29 PM
Mitsudomoe

Just watched the first of these and wow, what an intro to a series!

The relentless thumping opening followed by the rose-tinted peace and tranquility of the teacher's arrival which is then resolutely smashed into oblivion by the introduction of the girls and their subsequent attempts to maim his balls, (for the sake of love) was a great setup, the brilliantly done cutaways and flights of imagination had me in stitches.

For once I felt like the subs were hitting the nail on the head, getting all manner of innuendo across without fudging the translation for the sake of technical 'accuracy'.

Brings to mind a subverted take on a Kodomo no Jikan[nb]Already we've got pervy kids, a virgin teacher and an obvious but overlooked workmate.[/nb] with less of the drama. I wasn't expecting that when I started it up, very glad it went the way it did.

Definitely another one I'll be keeping an eye on.

Consignia

Did someone say Mitsudomoe no Jikan?
みつどもえのじかん

Quote from: Consignia on January 18, 2011, 11:33:02 AM
(About Madoka)... Well, given the tone I reckon at least one girl is going to be dead by the end of the series.

Hmm....

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Consignia on January 25, 2011, 08:32:19 AM
Did someone say Mitsudomoe no Jikan?

Heh! Good find.

Just finished episode 5, this just keeps getting better the humor ain't exactly high-brow, but it's funny as fuck nonetheless, the timing of the jokes, cutaways and seemingly endless stream of misunderstandings, manipulations and obsessions tickles my innards. Still not a single 'Wtf?' moment in the translations yet either which is a nice to see for a change.

madhair60

Yes!  It's a hugely enjoyable show and wonderfully localised.  Cute as the dickens, too, I can see how they got that moe in their name.

Big Jack McBastard

Absolutely, just finished 203, it felt spot on throughout [nb]The Horriblesubs folk are doing a sublime job[/nb]. It's raised the bar in terms of relateability (sp?) for me, as a matter of fact all of the series I've dipped into (as a result of this thread) thus far have been a pleasant surprise in their translation/localisation efforts.

The neglect I'd shown this whole genre is held up in a stark light, kudos to Consignia, Flandre and Pedro for sticking a new bulb in.

Consignia

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on January 29, 2011, 04:39:12 AM
The Horriblesubs folk are doing a sublime job.

In fairness, HorribleSubs don't do fuck all except rip the subs from legitimate sources and stick them on raws. It does bring up an interesting point for me though, there are hardly any decent fansub groups anymore. They mostly either just rips or a bunch of useless tossers who constantly get things wrong. I've seen so many blatantly incorrect translators notes it doesn't bare thinking about. I'm probably just looking back doe-eyed at time which felt like there was a bit more passion in community.