Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Zen: BBC Drama set in Italy

Started by wasp_f15ting, January 03, 2011, 04:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x9b8g/Zen_Vendetta/

So.. I assume some of you have seen this. There are some flaws straight away like people with perfect Birtish accents swanning around Italy with Italian names. However the story progressed on quite well, and it became rather enjoyable. There is a huge void in anything good on TV here in the UK or in the US, so this is something to watch. Unfortunaly only 3 episodes exist. So give it a shot.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on January 03, 2011, 04:30:59 PM
There is a huge void in anything good on TV here in the UK or in the US

Nonsense. There is always stuff worth watching if you seek it out.

I haven't seen Zen.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 03, 2011, 04:34:03 PM
Nonsense. There is always stuff worth watching if you seek it out.

I haven't seen Zen.

Is there a TV recommendation thread.. I seem to always watch TV shows years after they have come and gone. Anything particularly good at the moment?

Zetetic

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on January 03, 2011, 04:30:59 PM
There are some flaws straight away like people with perfect British accents swanning around Italy with Italian names.
What a mistake-a to make-a!

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on January 03, 2011, 04:49:33 PM
Is there a TV recommendation thread.. I seem to always watch TV shows years after they have come and gone. Anything particularly good at the moment?

New series of True Blood starts on FX next week, although it might be better if you watch the first two series' beforehand (unless you already have, obviously). Also starting on FX this week is Breaking Bad, which is supposed to be very good. Plaudits up the wazoo etc. Actually, it looks like FX are showing the outstanding Arrested Development in its entirety starting from early February. I can't recommend that enough if you haven't seen it. [nb]
Of course, these recommendations are of no use at all if you don't have access to FX. Apologies in advance if that's the case.[/nb]

Otherwise, there isn't a great deal going on drama-wise at the moment, but that's always the way at the start of the year. I suggest you just keep your eyes peeled when browsing the TV listings. There are sure to be a fair amount of promising-looking dramas cropping up throughout the next few months.

the midnight watch baboon

Quote from: Zetetic on January 03, 2011, 05:09:52 PM
What a mistake-a to make-a!

Except Zen's love interest had an Italian accent! confusing. The Yorkshire-accented Italian was my fave
Spoiler alert
before he died
[close]

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 03, 2011, 06:27:01 PM
New series of True Blood starts on FX next week, although it might be better if you watch the first two series' beforehand (unless you already have, obviously). Also starting on FX this week is Breaking Bad, which is supposed to be very good. Plaudits up the wazoo etc. Actually, it looks like FX are showing the outstanding Arrested Development in its entirety starting from early February. I can't recommend that enough if you haven't seen it. [nb]
Of course, these recommendations are of no use at all if you don't have access to FX. Apologies in advance if that's the case.[/nb]

Otherwise, there isn't a great deal going on drama-wise at the moment, but that's always the way at the start of the year. I suggest you just keep your eyes peeled when browsing the TV listings. There are sure to be a fair amount of promising-looking dramas cropping up throughout the next few months.

True Blood season 3 was ace, I am looking at the John Adams series to tie me over till something new starts on HBO.

How have you found breaking bad? Does it get really intense after season 1?

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on January 03, 2011, 06:41:50 PM
True Blood season 3 was ace, I am looking at the John Adams series to tie me over till something new starts on HBO.

How have you found breaking bad? Does it get really intense after season 1?

Ah, you've already seen them. I haven't watched Breaking Bad yet, but looking forward to it.

Alberon

Zen wasn't bad. IIRC it's partly financed by an Italian network so presumably it'll be dubbed into Italian to be shown over there at some point.

I suppose the accents are just the current fashion in TV rather than making everyone put on an accent they just stick with their own (see Wallander for instance), except the Italian love interest which is a little odd, but then again that might have something to do with the Italian part financing, (is she well known in Italy?).

The background of nearly everyone being corrupt is a good one, if a bit of a cliche of Italy (no matter how true it might be). Certainly it is worth sticking with for the next couple of episodes though.

Everytime someone goes into the countryside for a drive it does end up looking like a car advert, though.

wasp_f15ting

The whole thing ended quite well..

I am not sure what made me like it more than the other pap thats on there. Looking forward to seeing more stuff like this.