Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Secret In Their Eyes - an Argentinian Whodunit

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, January 07, 2011, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

This fantastic movie has just come out on DVD, and I'd strongly recommend people rent or buy it.  You may well have missed it in the cinema as it only screened in arts cinemas despite winning the oscar for best foreign feature long before it was even released here.  But now it's out on DVD you have no excuse!  It's a truly brilliant whodunit, set against the backdrop of Argentina under fascist dictatorship in the early 80s, being told in flashback from present day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/

Annoyingly there is no Blu-Ray available over here as of yet, but there is one in Spain that has English subs on it, and it's available from Play.  (Click the CaB link if you go there!)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I would like to see this, my parents absolutely raved about it.

imitationleather

Downloaded this a while back so may finally get around to watching it tonight.

Just seen this - loved it. Best film I've seen for ages, though slightly disappointed by the ending.

Speaking of which, there's something that's confusing me. In his review of the film Peter Bradshaw said

"Campanella's script persistently nudges the audience in the direction of a very guessable final twist, but suddenly withdraws this in favour of a bizarre and grotesque disclosure just before the credits, although that initially telegraphed twist might have been rather more satisfying."

What twist? I assume Bradshaw means
Spoiler alert
that the husband is the killer.
[close]
Is that "very guessable" though?

Velvetfinger

I just acquired this today, so I'll definitely check it out now rather than let it sit unwatched on the hard drive for months on end gathering virtual dust.

Peru

Add me to the 'it's brilliant' list. By the way, there's also a five minute tracking shot that will blow you away.

Santa's Boyfriend

Yeah the tracking shot is magic.  Really well done, similar to Children of Men in the "how the fuck?" stakes.

Incidentally, please do rent this one rather than just downloading it, as it would be nice to see more films like it made.  (Mind you, it has got the Oscar so it can't have done too badly.)