Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS3 Cracked

Started by Puffin Chunks, January 07, 2011, 02:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffin Chunks

So after 6 years, the PS3 has finally been hacked to a level that cannot be fixed by a firmware update, apparently.

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/20903/new-hack-blows-ps3-wide-open.html

I know that USB dongles were released by various hackers earlier last year, but that exploit was quickly patched by Sony in a forced firmware update which meant no PSN for users who chose to keep their hacked PS3 on earlier firmware versions. Newer games also closed the loophole meaning that those games could not be played on jailbroken PS3s

Details are sketchy in the article, so I'm not sure how accurate it is, although I highly doubt that "Someone is getting into serious trouble at Sony right now". Either way the PS3 has proven to be a pretty secure piece of kit with a 5-6 year window being fairly substantial before its security was breached. Personally, I have no interest in jailbreaking my PS3, but it may be useful to others if this works. Besides copied games (for legitimate back-up reasons and also piracy), is there any real value to this?

Viero_Berlotti

I friend of mine jailbroke his PS3 recently. He said it worked, but made the PS3 really unstable and some of the pirated games he tried to run on it didn't work, and some of his non-pirated games stopped working too.

Puffin Chunks

I assume he must have been running one of the earlier exploits, as I don't believe anything has been released yet based on this latest exploit?

Investigating further, videos have been posted by GeoHot (the guy who jailbroke the iPhone) running homebrew software on the latest PS3 firmware using the latest exploit. It appears that he doesn't want to get involved with allowing copied games to be run, possibly to avoid any potential lawsuits from Sony. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone does though and this all enters the public domain.

Subtle Mocking

I really would consider it but I'm terrified of the prospect of breaking the thing. I haven't chipped anything since PS1, I'm a complete novice.

Puffin Chunks

My (admittedly limited) understanding of this is that it would require no hardware modification and no dongles. They have basically found the master security key that is required to run any software on the PS3.

It seems legit. A much more detailed article on the BBC website is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12116051

Sony have released a statement basically saying that they are aware and are looking into it. If what I'm reading is correct though, there is very little they can do about this and it won't be long before the PS3 is blown wide open.