Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:22:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PSN games.

Started by bitesize, January 11, 2011, 01:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitesize

so i got a shiny new PS3 at christmas (thanks, the wife!). spent most of last year playing some awesome XBLA games on the Xbox, i'm a sucker for those smaller downloable titles - takes me back to the old days of gaming, simple concepts executed well...

so what can i get from PSN to fill up my hard drive? so far i've got:
PixelJunk Shooter - which i absolutely love (and i hear there's a sequel coming soon)
Flow - don't really get this, not sure whether there's anything more to it or if it really is just a psychedelic version of Snake
Trine - nice platformer with some good puzzles.

mainly interested in the exclusives - if it's good and it's on XBLA already i've probably tried it... what else can i look at? are there many other PS3 owners in the place?

mcbpete

Quote from: bitesize on January 11, 2011, 01:29:15 PM
Flow - don't really get this, not sure whether there's anything more to it or if it really is just a psychedelic version of Snake
Not really, but I love it all the same. Certainly more a game to soak in the lovely ambiance than your normal game. Ditto with their follow-up flower, which is even more relaxing and lovely - So maybe give that a go too !

The new Afterburner is on offer at the moment (I think), as is the new version of  Pacman. Both are fantastic updates to the series and are the perfect hybrid of old school gaming with new(ish) looking visuals.

I know a lot of people like Echochrome too, I'm rubbish at that sort of game and could barely complete the demo so didn't bother with the full game. But if you like puzzlers that's a strong recommendation.

Pseudopath

Flower is a must-have. I didn't think much to the original flOw, but the sequel is a work-of-art (even though it's essentially the same game in 3D) and one of the most absorbing and inspiring games I've ever played. It's also a great game for showing off the PS3's graphical clout to nay-saying friends.

If you liked Pixeljunk Shooter and you like tower defence-style games, Pixeljunk Monsters is a no-brainer. Their first game, Pixeljunk Racers, wasn't much cop though.

Also, Joe Danger is ludicrously fun (it's like a cartoony version of XBLA's Trials HD).

chand

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 11, 2011, 06:41:09 PMAlso, Joe Danger is ludicrously fun (it's like a cartoony version of XBLA's Trials HD).

Second this, great for just dicking about, but you may well get obsessed trying over and over again to 100% each level, it manages to be frustrating and fun at the same time when you do that. I'd also second Echochrome, or at least recommend giving the demo a crack.

Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light is really good, feels higher-budget than a lot of PSN stuff, the puzzles are really well crafted and the shooting surprisingly enjoyably, was a refreshing reboot for the series I thought.

Lot of good two-stick shooters if you're into that. Super Stardust HD and Riff: Everyday Shooter the best ones I think (the latter of which is a really simple indie game that's weirdly mesmerising). Also the new two-stick zombie shooter Dead Nation, another high-end one which is well worth a go, it's graphically one of the best PSN games, good atmosphere.

Bionic Commando Rearmed I got really addicted to at one stage, it can be kind of tough and takes a while to get used to the swinging mechanic which replaces jumping, but play through the tutorials and it can be very satisfying.

Deathspank is highly rated (by Psychonauts' Tim Schafer), but I didn't get on with it that well, worth giving the demo a shot.

For straightforward classic puzzle addictiveness; Lumines Supernova, Bejeweled 2, and Peggle, there's also a version of Tetris on there now.

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse I got the most time out of, you might like that if you played the old point and click adventures.

And finally, my little weird one which I always find myself reaching for when I've got 10 minutes to kill; Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars. Essentially a football game played with cars, I found it weirdly addictive, and spent hours racing around back and forth chasing the big metal ball. It's also one of the ones that lets you play your own music off the HDD.

bitesize

great stuff, some good ideas there. will definitely get Flower, i got the demo + really liked it (despite not really clicking with flow).

missed Super Stardust HD off the list of ones i've already got, actually, and i really like it. it is super hard tho - i don't think i'm that shit at games, i've been playing em for like 25 yrs and i work in the games industry, but i couldn't finish the first level of SSHD. had to bump it down to the Easy difficulty (the shame!). will definitely check out Riff, liked the look of the video - wish they had demos of everything tho, on XBLA you can get a free demo of every game and it's a godsend!

oooh, new series of Sam&Max is on there too... i haven't actually finished Season 2 (that i got on XBLA) yet, but will definitely get that, i love them.

thanks for the recommendations guys!

Still Not George

I'm looking at doing a PSN port of MCG Game #1 sometime very soon, since XBLA remains a no-go. So you could always buy that in 3 or 4 months time, heh.

Rubbish Monkey

Wipeout HD+Fury stylish smooth futuristic racer one of the best PSN games ever

Also:
Critter Crunch Wonderful puzzle game. Port of an iphone game I think
Trash Panic Another puzzle game..... think Tetris with rubbish. Quite tough.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Rubbish Monkey on January 13, 2011, 12:59:53 PM
Trash Panic Another puzzle game..... think Tetris with rubbish. Quite tough.

Quite?! I don't think I've ever got past the second level!